Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb @moderators: please consider to add a thank you button to the forum

Hi moderators,

could you please consider to add a thank you button to the forum. (I.e. ask the admins for)
I googled this one.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122944

Quote:
One of the biggest problems on forums as you may know is 'posts boosting'. There are users who LOVE to say 'thanks' when ever they can. How can it hurt? Their post count goes up, they have nothing to loose.
There are also users who really like to express their thanks to post but don't like posting a post that looks like they're post boosting.
Then comes the moderators who have to delete people's thanks yous so a thread can look readable with out the thanks yous thrown around.
Finally comes the posters of these useful posts. They have no idea how many people really likes their posts if only some people say 'thanks'.
What this hack does is fix ALL these problems - except those users who like post boosting. This places a button called 'thanks.' When a user clicks on it, it places his username in a box right under the post saying that so-and-so says 'thanks' for the post. Every-one who clicks is placed in one box.
By giving your users the extra feature, you forum will look allot nice and organized. It is a guaranteed liking by ALL the members of your forum.
This could really help to keep informative threads clean.

I have to admit, that i'm one of the guys that usally says just thx to official infos.

Thx for consideration.

Greez mugen

Ps: the linked version above is for vbulletin 3.7, it is meant as an example for what i'm talking about.

Last edited by mugen; 04-24-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add info about the thank you button
Old 04-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Approved Member

The game is unplayable for many and right now and I cannot begin to thank anyone until it is fixed.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Approved Member

For those that wish to thank them? I don't believe a thanks button would place any obligation to use it.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotNoodles View Post
The game is unplayable for many and right now and I cannot begin to thank anyone until it is fixed.
With respect, i'm not bothered by whether or not you can begin to thank anyone at the moment.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

Looks like a good idea.

Thank you
Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thank you

Brainstorm......a thank you button for forum members to thank each other if they have been helpfull, might be nice to change the culture here instead of just being able to report each other?

Ok so it's not a massive brainstorm........I thought I was a genius until I read the OP's link

Last edited by taildraggernut; 04-24-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

Maybe my post was a bit unclear.
I'm not looking for way to thank the devs.
This is possible today by just posting thx to their threads.

I'm looking for a way to give kudos (to thank, to agree) to an informative or helpfull poster without spreading information of an constructive discussion/thread over several pages.

PS: Added description of the "thank you button feature" to op.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Approved Member

I doubt it's gonna happen. Once introduced it has to be maintained and it produces queries (yes it says only one query but there is more. The java itself, eventual graphics etc...) and possible flaws.
Speaking of maintenance... "Last Update: 21 Mar 2008 / 03 Jan 2010". Also the recent version of vBulletin is 4.12... not 3.7x or 4.0...

I doubt that 1C will intoduce a hack globally (has to be done for all forum sections). Usually it's best to stick with the default featureset as that means easy migration and simple administration.

Aside from that it's a good idea. Would be nice to see something like this being implemented
Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Approved Member

In version 4 of vbulletin you can do all kind of stuff like that... Add "likes" to posts etc... It would be nice with an upgrade to that (and it's not exactly bleeding edge now at version 4.1.11 where 4.0 came in 2009). And while at it - a bit less yellow maybe?

Last edited by mazex; 04-24-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Approved Member

I like how they did it on the Benchmarksims forums. You can thank people for their posts. This really encourages the community to keep things more relevant and supportive in many ways. Also you can easily tell by profile stats showing how many times a person has been thanked, and see who's actually trying to help you. It makes it easier to trust people, especially for new members!