Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Approved Member

Do you mean layouts like this?

Original DDS layers are easy to get by yourself using Kegety's extractor tool. Makes skinning much less of a hit and miss affair.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:02 PM
BigPickle

can DDS be opened in PS, also how would you take away the grey layer to reveal just the rivits and machanical layers
Old 06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Ali Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPickle View Post
can DDS be opened in PS, also how would you take away the grey layer to reveal just the rivits and machanical layers

by knwing what your doing with the tools . my template has all that bigpickle. i have taken all the textures and taken all the information necessary to produce your own weathering, panel and rivett detail.

btw guys, you dont need the alpha layers. all you actually need for a skin is the colouring specified. this is not the same process as skinning any other game. shader implementation behind this is really well thought out. and 1C have given you exactly all you need. so no point in asking for this. the 3d model would be good though ! photoshop 3d model would be perfect. however the MSH files will be available at some stage. its a common mesh format.

Last edited by Ali Fish; 06-02-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Approved Member

The dds layer is transparent in the game. It is grey when I convert to a simple jpeg though. DDS files can be opened in PS. Do a google search for DDS plugins if it doesn't work out of the box.

Last edited by Feathered_IV; 06-02-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Ali Fish

the DDS is grey, and not transparent. the ingame shader system which is part of the dynmaic weathering system probaly uses the alpha channel for the transparency.

i wouldnt start messing with kegety's skin method guys. be content with the genuine skinning system.

Last edited by Ali Fish; 06-02-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Fish View Post
by knwing what your doing with the tools . my template has all that bigpickle. i have taken all the textures and taken all the information necessary to produce your own weathering, panel and rivett detail.

btw guys, you dont need the alpha layers. all you actually need for a skin is the colouring specified. this is not the same process as skinning any other game. shader implementation behind this is really well thought out. and 1C have given you exactly all you need. so no point in asking for this. the 3d model would be good though ! photoshop 3d model would be perfect. however the MSH files will be available at some stage. its a common mesh format.
Listen up, we skinners know what we need and that is UVW information for every plane that there is, simple as that.

Almost all smaller mesh parts are not referenced on the dds files because they are covered in the base colour without an outline or some sort of preshading on the texture. Therefor the only way to find them is trial and error, which I am doing right now for the Bf.108 and is very tiresome and time consuming, or 1C would get their community support to actually work and provide us with the UVW maps for all planes.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Ali Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
Listen up, we skinners know what we need and that is UVW information for every plane that there is, simple as that.

Almost all smaller mesh parts are not referenced on the dds files because they are covered in the base colour without an outline or some sort of preshading on the texture. Therefor the only way to find them is trial and error, which I am doing right now for the Bf.108 and is very tiresome and time consuming, or 1C would get their community support to actually work and provide us with the UVW maps for all planes.
you understand how the overlay system works regards the parts we dont need to paint on because of the overlay right ? this is what you have. probally the best your going to get tbh. As a skinner you might wana work this out for yourself.

i shall include these (there already there in a better format) in my templates in future.

all parts for mkIIa spitfire

just the parts you paint for mkIIa spitfire.

Last edited by Ali Fish; 06-02-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Fish View Post
you understand how the overlay system works regards the parts we dont need to paint on because of the overlay right ? this is what you have. probally the best your going to get tbh. As a skinner you might wana work this out for yourself.

i shall include these (there already there in a better format) in my templates in future
Oh dear...

This is not about the mechanical overlays...

Take the Bf 108 for example. The inner canopy frames, the pitot tube, roof handles, counter weights, spinner, oil cooler struts and tons more are just scattered on the texture map with NO REFERNCE as they are all painted in the base colour of your skin. That is why we need the UVW map to know where they are located.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Ali Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
Oh dear...

This is not about the mechanical overlays...

Take the Bf 108 for example. The inner canopy frames, the pitot tube, roof handles, counter weights, spinner, oil cooler struts and tons more are just scattered on the texture map with NO REFERNCE as they are all painted in the base colour of your skin. That is why we need the UVW map to know where they are located.
Good luck finding those parts! lol.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
I have to be honest and say it is a very valid request.

When skinning the models in Wings of Prey, Gaijin gave access to the Templates including the UV Map and this helped find areas on the skins that caused issues.

I hope the Devs. see sense and allow the UV Mapping to be included with an official released template.

The WoP example can be seen attached.

Cheers, MP
Which is why I posted this example showing the UV overlay on the previous page, available to WoP skinners...it really is essential for the finery of skinning IMHO.

Cheers, MP