Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Approved Member

perhas there are some 'special' missions........................ who knows.
just remember the woman in the Spitfire cockpit screenshots, most propably also a special singleplayermission.

form a historical viewpoint its nonsense IMHO !
but its still a game
Old 01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollnloop View Post
renegade=defeated polish,french,czechs still fighting alongside the british. They were considered as renegades in their own army and condemned to death (at least the former french air force pilots).
Rollnloop has it right. Servicemen who fought on after their country had surrendered were classified as renegades by the new government of the country concerned. It's an unfortunate translation that has probably been seized upon by some advertising oik and used because it seems to add some spice, that's all.
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
perhas there are some 'special' missions........................ who knows.
just remember the woman in the Spitfire cockpit screenshots, most propably also a special singleplayermission.

form a historical viewpoint its nonsense IMHO !
but its still a game
Women flew Spitfires every day of WWII, just not in combat.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3403685.ece
Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman_1 View Post
Women flew Spitfires every day of WWII, just not in combat.
True enough, but rarely on the pilot's lap...

Somehow I think the description "The player will join the British Air Force to fight [...] renegade pilots on his own side" doesn't leave much room for interpretation. Also remember Luthier's thread about "wow" moments some months ago, so for me all signs point to a linear campaign with some drama moments and scripted events. Which doesn't have to be a bad idea for the general public (which we all need to have a commercially successful launch, so at least the local marketing experts should be cheering for that idea ).

Doesn't rule out a simple FB-style dynamic campaign is also included, but at any rate the best campaigns will come from 3rd party devs. So it's not really an issue for me.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Approved Member

As as been stated it looks like they meant fly with not fight against (unless flying the German campaign) Renegade pilots eg the poles, Americans, Australians and the single Jamican Pilot who flew in the battle.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
renegade=defeated polish,french,czechs still fighting alongside the british. They were considered as renegades in their own army and condemned to death (at least the former french air force pilots).
I don't think they would've been called that from over here in the UK.Maybe free as in Free French.Technically it's not wrong in meaning but in the use of the term possibly not right.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/renegade
"renegade [ˈrɛnɪˌgeɪd]
n
a. a person who deserts his cause or faith for another; apostate; traitor
b. (as modifier) a renegade priest
2. any outlaw or rebel
If the countries i e Poland etc were invaded and forced to side with the Axis then i don't think they were renegades as they were still fighting for their home country against the invaders.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Approved Member

"he will join the Royal Air Force to fight the ..... renegade pilots on his own side."

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Rollnloop has it right. Servicemen who fought on after their country had surrendered were classified as renegades by the new government of the country concerned. It's an unfortunate translation that has probably been seized upon by some advertising oik and used because it seems to add some spice, that's all.
It's not so much a question of who the renegades were, it's the fact that you are to fight against them. I've seen so many so called explanations of this nonsense. There are only two possible explanations:
1) They've typed it incorrectly - without doubt the most likely explanation
2) The development team have taken leave of their senses and turned the game into a farse - I doubt it.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
"he will join the Royal Air Force to fight the ..... renegade pilots on his own side."

It's not so much a question of who the renegades were, it's the fact that you are to fight against them. I've seen so many so called explanations of this nonsense. There are only two possible explanations:
1) They've typed it incorrectly - without doubt the most likely explanation
2) The development team have taken leave of their senses and turned the game into a farse - I doubt it.
In situation 2, Ive got the story all sorted lol.
The Germans have created a new secret bio weapon, A mind control virus that becomes known as the Defection Infection. This virus can infect any of your squadron at any time. Who can you trust as your wingman? Will your best friend suddenly start shooting at you? To have any hope of winning this war, You must hold out against an enemy on two sides long enough for the British scientists to come up with a cure.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Approved Member

I wouldn't consider the Polish and french pilots based in the UK as renagades as they were still fighting to protect their people from the last freely elected governments of their respective countries.

You need to remember that the govenments elected during the time of occupations didn't represent the wishes of peoples of those countries. They were infact puppet goverments intended to legitimise the occupation of the Nazi forces, and in most cases recieved their just deserts after the war.

I think the term renagade was put in there to represent the LW pilots who think they know beeter than their own high command and will disregard orders about sticking with the bombers and run off to the closest furball.

This will make the RAF Job easier as stopping the bombers are the main objective of the RAF.

How many RAF pilots are going to become renagades by finishing a mission with a quick flyby to see the 109's with empty fuel tanks floating in the Channel!

Cheers!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kano_Magnus View Post
It does quite explicitly say this in the single-player section. I would actually like an answer to this question, as a scripted campaign with a bollocks story would prevent me from buying this game.
First, it is not a game.

Second, it will have a full mission builder and support for 3rd party campaign system (more than RoF provides). So, you will eventually have loads of historically detailed linear campaigns, one or more dynamic campaign engines and possibly even have a strategic campaign (as past BoB sims had).