Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Battle of Britain was a one side attack x one side defence..
I agree with WTE_Galway. History seems to have forgotten it, but there was a great deal of action involving Bomber Command over this period. Oleg does "Forgotten Battles" well, and I hope this continues!

Anyone who doubts that should read Guy Gibson's biography, "Enemy Coast Ahead". Not only were the fighters trying to hold the line against the Luftwaffe, the bombers were trying to impede preparations for a German invasion, which was a very real threat in 1940 and for which the Battle of Britain was a precursor.

Even at this time the foundations were being laid for Bomber Command's transformation into the formidable machine it became (i.e. the first very large scale raids).

Quote:
Allied , only the Blenheim (a dream of mine would be as additional flyables the Wellington and Beaufort, torpedo attacks with "correct" torpedo limits ).......
And the Hampden, for reasons as above. It was one of the stalwarts of the attacks on German barges, invasion shipping and ports.

Regards, Spinner

Last edited by AWL_Spinner; 12-07-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWL_Spinner View Post

And the Hampden, for reasons as above. It was one of the stalwarts of the attacks on German barges, invasion shipping and ports.

Regards, Spinner
Another often forgotten plane was the Armstrong Whitley which was obsolete by 1940 but flew a lot of missions for bomber command throughout the Battle of Britain regardless:

In many ways its sad that many aircraft that 1000's of allied crew fought and died in are forgotten purely because they lack the "glamor" to capture the public imagination.

The Short Stirling would also be nice to see eventually as well, though it didn't get into combat until Feb '41 so just missed the Battle of Britain. Allegedly despite being a 4 engined bomber the Stirling could out-turn Ju 88 and Bf 110 nightfighters.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Approved Member

Late war G.50s were outfitted with bomb racks if I'm not mistaken??

Announced:
- Identifying enemy units during low level attacks (insignia on tanks)
- A damage model for vehicles that matches the detail of aircraft DMs in Il-2
- The ability to damage different parts of a facility

Personally, I am hoping for:
- A better train damage model (hopefully with derailments or at least the ability to light the train on fire and have it keep moving). Just adding proper durability to rail cars would be great.
- A better damage model for ships (ability to strafe + light fires on deck, ability to damage the bridge or rudder, different compartments flooding with listing).
- Small objects that will create a sense of generalised mayhem during strafing
Old 12-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avimimus View Post
Late war G.50s were outfitted with bomb racks if I'm not mistaken??

Announced:
- Identifying enemy units during low level attacks (insignia on tanks)
- A damage model for vehicles that matches the detail of aircraft DMs in Il-2
- The ability to damage different parts of a facility

Personally, I am hoping for:
- A better train damage model (hopefully with derailments or at least the ability to light the train on fire and have it keep moving). Just adding proper durability to rail cars would be great.
- A better damage model for ships (ability to strafe + light fires on deck, ability to damage the bridge or rudder, different compartments flooding with listing).
- Small objects that will create a sense of generalised mayhem during strafing
Oh yes + on that, also no invinsable crew members! That when a crew bails next to your aircraft, and runs into it, manages to totally destroy your aircraft! And a big wish would be that wreckage and debries does not disappear with in seconds, when for example a plane crashes on the runway that it disappears with in seconds so that the next plane can land as if nothing happened, that has always bothered me in IL2. Another point would be also, well I know this only of the blue side that when a bomber looses a engine, with in a fairly short time it always catches fire, I hope this can be changed in future.

Last edited by Wutz; 12-07-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Approved Member

I once saw in Wikipedia about the presence of Blenheims in BoB,but I thought they used them as gunnery planes (like Defiant) to shoot down the Heinkels and Junkers.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
Another often forgotten plane was the Armstrong Whitley which was obsolete by 1940 but flew a lot of missions for bomber command throughout the Battle of Britain regardless:

In many ways its sad that many aircraft that 1000's of allied crew fought and died in are forgotten purely because they lack the "glamor" to capture the public imagination.

The Short Stirling would also be nice to see eventually as well, though it didn't get into combat until Feb '41 so just missed the Battle of Britain. Allegedly despite being a 4 engined bomber the Stirling could out-turn Ju 88 and Bf 110 nightfighters.
Not just Allied planes! There are also lots of axis planes, that are almost always dropped under the table. Like the Ju86, or the Do 24 if this baby made it into the game, it would be pretty much the only plane I would fly
Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutz View Post
Not just Allied planes! There are also lots of axis planes, that are almost always dropped under the table. Like the Ju86, or the Do 24 if this baby made it into the game, it would be pretty much the only plane I would fly
Ju-86,it was said to have done some secret missions...Along Ju-90...
The BV-138 and BV-222...