Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Other > Other Topics

Other Topics Feel free to discuss other topics here.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 AM
Registered Member

Default What is the difference between a publishing house and self-publishing?

I am planning on publishing my novel that I have been working on. What are the advantages of self-publishing? Shold I get a publishing house to so it instead?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewarnold View Post
I am planning on publishing my novel that I have been working on. What are the advantages of self-publishing? Shold I get a publishing house to so it instead?
I am assuming this is your first book. I would go with a publishing house for the simple reason as they know what they’re doing, and take a percentage cut of sales. If your book is successful, and you have the money along with the knowledge of how this is done, you can create your own publishing company. People that usually publish their own books are generally established, and experienced authors, and don’t mind the extra publishing work. Most find this work getting in the way of writing, and choose the convenience of a publishing house. As your own publisher you spend your own money, and you assume all the risk involved (especially if the book fails). This could seriously cramp your style.

It’s sought of like an attorney. When you graduate college, you don’t go, and open your own office. You get your feet wet by being a prosecutor, public defender, or a corporation company as a junior attorney.

Last edited by USA Trucker; 05-26-2011 at 07:19 PM.