Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Default Question about trimming the Hurricane

First, to the devs: wonderful job on the patch. I can finally play the game comfortably now. OK, down to the question for any of you born aces out there .

To establish context, this question relates to the sim in maximum realism mode. Also I'm using the 1.11 October 18th patch:

To set the scene: I've got the spitfire down pat now. From take-off to landing she flies wonderfully and trims to mostly hands-off for normal cruising with boost +5.5 and 2400 RPM around 225-230 mph.

The Hurricane however is another matter. I can get it hands off at about 100kts if the flaps are down and the gear is extended. But at cruising speed I have to apply a constant left pressure on the stick. It seems that the pre-set ground adjusted trim values have been set for the wrong speed. Applying enough rudder trim causes a noticeable left yaw and turning effect which can be countered by putting the plane in a right bank of about 10 degrees. Am I missing something? Alternatively, is there a config file where I can go change the value used to determine this pre-set trim amount? I use a self-centring stick for casual flights with a stiff enough spring that holding that pressure over distance isn't viable. My other stick for "serious" flights is an X65F, and continuous pressure on that would just be murder. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. I'd love to set up a few long duration hurricane flights but my current inability to trim it out means I'm stuck to using it in quick missions only.

I'll be overjoyed if it turns out I just don't know what I'm doing and trimming this plane is a doddle

Many thanks in advance

Anthony
Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Well, I don't know what the 'real world' answer to this is -- whether the Hurri really did have this constant right-roll tendency or it's been modeled incorrectly -- but I have the exact same problem. I've gotten around it by programming a 'manual aileron trim' into my TM Warthog that allows me to essentially offset the center position of the stick's roll axis to compensate for the right roll tendency. Thus I can just trim the roll out as if the Hurri really had aileron trim available.

Not completely realistic, obviously, but fixes a behavior that seems unrealistic to begin with.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Approved Member

The 109 had this in RL and does in the game, its tourque from the engine. If the hurri has rudder trim then this is how you would correct it. I know the red fighters had two trims but cant remmebr what they are.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Approved Member

But the 109 was trimmed when running on "common" throttle/pitch settings. (it also has no rudder trim) This is not the case for the CoD Hurricane at the moment.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:08 AM
Approved Member

If there's a way to dial that roll tendency out I would like to know what it is also. The degree that the Hurricane exhibits it with no practical way to trim it out in the game is unrealistic. You almost have to let the autopilot fly between encounters just to save your hand and your patience. Probably time to scrutinize the config files