Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simson View Post
i'd like to join the fun but i can't get the latest automatic patch. It doesn't start to load although I start the game logged in...

What can i do?
Thanks in advance
Do you mean it will start but you think you don't have the latest patch? It may have downloaded automatically some time when you started it. You can check by Esc from the pilot's face screen to the main menu and checking the version in the bottom right hand corner. It should be 1.11.20362 for the latest patch.

I'll be surprised if it isn't correct as you shouldn't be able to run it without Steam and Steam automatically checks and updates it.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Registered Member

Default Not new, but "rediscovered"

I am not new to il2, but I have never flown online, I work as a handyman for "affluent" customers, and also have a penchant for old kerosene pressure lanterns ( hence my "call sign"), my current "ride" is the me-109, any flavor, never completed a campaign, somewhere in my computer there must be dozens of aces with my name on their tails....
How do you get online?, I tried with the game but somehow can not connect to a "server".
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petromax View Post
I am not new to il2, but I have never flown online, I work as a handyman for "affluent" customers, and also have a penchant for old kerosene pressure lanterns ( hence my "call sign"), my current "ride" is the me-109, any flavor, never completed a campaign, somewhere in my computer there must be dozens of aces with my name on their tails....
How do you get online?, I tried with the game but somehow can not connect to a "server".
Go to Multiplayer... Client....
Make sure that Internet is selected in the drop down box at the top of the page. You should see a list of servers you can join.
Highlight one and click on Join Server (lower right)

Many servers list their settings on the right hand side of the screen when you highlight them, e.g. Full Realism means all easy options are turned off (except, usually, headshake and Anthropmorphic Control which no-one uses). Try one that suits you.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Approved Member

when it says "cant connect to server" means there are no games currently online. this game isnt played much these days due to the release of Birds of Steel. if you go to that forum you may find guys to hook up with and play. they occasionally will jump back to BoP.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysocks View Post
when it says "cant connect to server" means there are no games currently online. this game isnt played much these days due to the release of Birds of Steel. if you go to that forum you may find guys to hook up with and play. they occasionally will jump back to BoP.
When a server is listed it is online.

"can't connect to server" is another issue.

Tell the guys that are in-game night after night that it isn't played much.

I just watched the Birds of Steel trailer (I never heard of it before). It looks dated, like IL-2 1946 Pacific theatre.

"Pioneering online and multi-player modes for flight sims — ".. pioneering?!

"Enjoy 4 player co-op or go into the new and unique online ware mode to compete against up to 16 aviators across world." - Wow! 16 players!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Approved Member

and tell me klem how many games are you in every night ( on PS3 or Xbox ) that has over 16 players? and how is the lag?? when the game first came out you could get full rooms in every mode but even a year ago you could seldom find a 16 player game. hell finding 2 people who to play sim was next to impossible. i hated those games anyways because they were ripped with horrible lag. you are going to poo-poo BoS and tell me BoP is better? not even a close comparison. in a lot of ways its leaps and bounds over BoP...i have played both, have you? what does BoS have over BoP...???

more planes over 100 different planes and versions

cockpits for all the fighters ( german, japanese, us, raf, and vvs )

better flight models for the most part. the p51 flys better and you have a mk1

you can customize your plane with decals or switch to several different skins you can earn with different sq markings

better graphics...there is no comparison AND a replay option

more maps. all the ones you have PLUS the pacific, the ruhr, kuban, etc

you can program game pad or joystick buttons

you can play a campaign ( like a single player mission you design ) with up to 4 of your buddies flying your wing.

no zombie tail gunners in the bombers..so that noob who hides in a 17 in a team battle now has to take a turret gun to really survive.

bomber have a bombsite view...oh yeah you can torpedo ships or dive bomb.

you can play arcade, real, sim or custom...where you can set limitations on HUD setting.

you can choose your fuel load out at the beginning of the mission...fly as heavy or as light as you dare.

and the list goes on....

its not perfect and does have its quirks and glitches ( but so does BoP ) but to blow it off like you are is assinine. it is the best console flight sim. if it did not satisfy the players appetite for good sim they would have flocked back. but the only ones who complained were the kill hogs who got 15 , 20 kills a game. if you can down 5planes in a match in this game you are doing good.

the majority of the posters on this forum moved to that game. most of them played BoP from day 1 and religiously from then on. in those days this room was full of people..new threads...tournaments....races...not now that i can see. I guess the guys you play with dont post .. because this place is a ghost town.

this game doesnt have a dedicated server...the host's is the server. when there no one hosting you will get a "server" error not a "no game is available" message. you cant connect to what is not there. i have played the game for almost 2 years i have seen both "server unavailable" or "cant connect to server" happen over and over again. if someone they know for sure is online and in the game and he cannot connect...that is a different issue..which can be fixed sometimes with a simple reboot of the game system.

i suggest you DL the demo if it is still available and try it out for yourself. there are things i do miss about BoP....but not enough of them to come back except for the rare occasion.

Last edited by bobbysocks; 12-11-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Approved Member

bobbysox I owe you an apology. For some reason I seemed to land in the wrong forum/thread, I don't know how. I was talking about IL-2 Cliffs of Dover.

I don't play BoSteel or BoP but as I'm here I'd like to answer your questions about on-line play in case it interests you and explain why BoS/BoP don't interest me. I believe they may be console games? Perhaps that's why they have lesser graphics and on-line limitations.

I said that a multiplayer that only supports 16 players is of absolutely no interest to me or I suspect anyone who wants to get involved in serious on-line campaigns.

I have played in PC multiplayer games for over 16 years, sometiimes involving over 400 players. I don't suffer lag because I have a reasonable PC and Broadband and am only limited in that respect by the server capability. If you want to fly serious PC multiplayer thats what you need and I guess the same goes for console games although I don't know who hosts them. If its one of the player's consoles then I understand why it isn't very capable.

If I played BoS or BoP, off-line play wouldn't interest me because it is too sterile and I prefer the challenge of intelligent opponents (as opposed to Artificial Intelligence).

Anyway I though I'd apologise and give you a peep at what's possible in the world of on-line play.

Have fun.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Approved Member

Default A general apology

God knows how I ended up in this forum. I play IL-2 Cliffs of Dover. So, just ignore my posts.

Anyone got Valium?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Approved Member

well that answers a lot...i scratched a bald spot in my head. no problems klem. we here in the console world have a watered down version of the good stuff you enjoy and are actually glad we get that much. the majority of the best stuff is designed for PC and we hate you for that...lol. the last combat flight game i played was chuck yeager's air combat back in the 90s. i didnt really wasnt a big gamer and my computer was way out of date. i got back into gaming via console when a decent pirate game came out. then i saw BoP.... yeah. it has whetted my appetite for something better but again my computer isnt really up to snuff. i ended up with a MAC and dont want to go through all that is needed to play PC sim games. i plan to get a new PC this year so perhaps i will see you in the skies. until then i get to mess around with these glitchy "near sims".... they aint much but shes the best we got.

good luck with the new IL2...stalingrad game.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Approved Member

lol I knew something wasn't right.

Just want to make it clear that Bobby means a game with Pirates, jolly rodger, Arrrr me hearty and all that, not a pirated game.

Klem, I fly Il-2 1946 mostly offline with full realism, for complex missions and such, nothing comes close on consoles. But I also played Birds of Prey and now Birds of Steel, and as far as online multiplayer dogfighting goes they are hardcore when played at the highest difficulty, there are some incredible pilots out there who would have no problem flying full switch on a PC il-2 server if they had the chance, and there are others that have bought PCs and become top pilots on the ATAG server.

Birds of prey and Birds of Steel (even more so) are really WWII Dogfight sims whereas Il-2 CloD is a WWII Flight sim.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope