Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Approved Member

Default combat hints: PREDICTION ( fun to try )

Greetings forum readers,

I think this is a very funny things to try and once mastered will take you a step ahead from your opponent I am sure a lot of players already do this, but, it's nice to share with you anyway.

PREDICT YOUR ENEMY MOVES AND STRATEGY

This might seems like an easy things to do but most of the time ( specially when flying a better plane than my opponent or i have spotted him first ) i've discovered myself just FOLLOWING the enemy plane trajectory and flying path waiting to reach the position for the deadly shoot, pretty sure about my "plane chasing skills". That might be good and effective 1 vs 1 but when figthing against more enemyes it's crucial the ability to shoot down in flames quick.

Predict your enemy trajectocry became very important when flying a worse plane then your opponent, or in a general disadvantage ( worse in therms of flying performance, turning speed/radius, max speeds, weapon power, enemy superior in numbers etc etc ). Not being able to chase or reach his tails just by following him, you have to imagine where his plane will be in the next moment, and cuts the turns or break the flying chase accordingly, or anticipate dives/climbs/turns/stalls etc...

Obviusly, more far you "think" in the future, more narrower becames your chance of prediction success, but, if succeded, lead you in a very good position behind his tail. If fails, the opponent will be on your tail. It is a funny and exciting thing to try sometimes.

HAVE FUN!

Last edited by vdomini; 10-26-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Approved Member

Thats why I do not particularly enjoy large number dogfights with fast respawn times. 'Prediction' becomes more about the guys just flamed and whether they respawn on your six! Even taking a high altitude approach (as the most basic prediction is that a 'train' will eventually form down on the deck) to swoop down doesn't work - some one dies and always spawns at my altitude. Pee's me off! - I spent 5 minutes getting up there unmolested and some other player just spawns at my altitude in less than 10 seconds (having been smoked at ground zero)...............and on my six!

Give me team battle scenarios anyday with limited fuel and ammo (on a Strike or CTA map) .....I'm getting to be real grumpy old git these days.....

Last edited by SEE; 10-26-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
Thats why I do not particularly enjoy large number dogfights with fast respawn times. 'Prediction' becomes more about the guys just flamed and whether they respawn on your six! Even taking a high altitude approach (as the most basic prediction is that a 'train' will eventually form down on the deck) to swoop down doesn't work - some one dies and always spawns at my altitude. Pee's me off! - I spent 5 minutes getting up there unmolested and some other player just spawns at my altitude in less than 10 seconds (having been smoked at ground zero)...............and on my six!

Give me team battle scenarios anyday with limited fuel and ammo (on a Strike or CTA map) .....I'm getting to be real grumpy old git these days.....
Well, talking about respawn time, in my games is set to the maximum. Flying hints and tactics have to face game structure and limits. I wish i could have 1 minute respawn time, that would even force you ( or opponent ) to think twice before pulling a dive that you're sure not to pull out in one piece. Also, unfortunatly, i feel like some players use to crash just to respawn in a better position, or tends to crash easy. It's very frustrating, after several minutes of chase, to see your opponet crash and respawn on your six after 5 seconds, lol... A good workaround of this behavior is to know how game respawn system works, and set respawn time at 15 sec. Crashed plane always respawn a little higher than you, so, just turn toward the red dot on the map and look up, probably you'll spot plane in a second. Attack and CTA game have fixed respawn points, once assigned at the beginning of the game, i've noticed that you will respawn exactly same place and height during all the match. 15 second respawn time gives me enough time to climb at 600 - 1000 meters ( up to the plane i'm flying into ).

I do enjoy dog fight just against 4, 5 or maybe 6 planes. After that, i prefer team battle, and, strike or cta also, hopefully with a good fast plane

Last edited by vdomini; 10-26-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

the respawn time really isnt as much of an issue as where they are respawned. even if its a 20 second respawn they could pop in right on someones 6. if its 1 vs 1 that is different...but in a game of 5 or more someone will be in peril. instead of a time setting there should be a distance and altitude setting: 3miles away & 5000ft high , 5miles away 15000 feet high, etc., from the main battle zone....or several respawn zones. this is why team battle on cta or strike is better....especially if there are 2 airfields. you have to enter the battle zone and others have a chance to see you. i will play any way but prefer those like SEE said...but i too am a crotchety old fart.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysocks View Post
the respawn time really isnt as much of an issue as where they are respawned.
In Arcade you can get just about any fighter to 1000+ kmh. Its very easy to reach a target 4km away in seconds and shoot it down, even easier if the spawn is close.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
In Arcade you can get just about any fighter to 1000+ kmh. Its very easy to reach a target 4km away in seconds and shoot it down, even easier if the spawn is close.
Hello korsakov!
Well, all my previous consideration was intended to be applyed in simulator game difficulty only. Realistic games gives you radar and arrows pointing at the locked enemy that introduce a whole different type of fighting, you do not have to worry spotting the enemy....

Arcade is another kind of game, like flying a starwars x-wing... I dont have a clue how to do that properly

bobbysocks you have very good point, i would really prefer respawn miles away ....

Have fun thank you!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Approved Member

I sometimes play predict the spawn. If Ive just died an spawned quite high and then someone else dies, I climb up a bit higher, then watch the map for the spawning. If i'm lucky the spawn will be- 1. near me, 2. one or two thousand feet below me, 3 infront of me, and 4. facing away from me. Spawning players hardly ever look up, they only look down then dive down. If I get really lucky in my prediction I can get the kill within seconds of their spawn lol just like a spawn camper. I don't like to do this too much though and usually apologise afterwards as it is a bit cheap.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 11-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Approved Member

A few things need to be taken into account when predicting where you need to shoot for your bullets to hit. Every gun has its own firing speed and calibre for example.