Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Approved Member

Default On BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...0/First_Light/

“Not available in your area” I am in Bangkok right now but perhaps it can be seen in the EU?

Regards

Viking
Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...0/First_Light/

“Not available in your area” I am in Bangkok right now but perhaps it can be seen in the EU?

Regards

Viking
Have you tried viewing it through a web proxy site? Go to hidemyass.com and type www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer. See if it works that way. I can't test it as I'm in the UK
Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanPan View Post
You make some good points, but why do you have to be so God damned rude? Why is anyone who disagrees with your opinion "full of sh*t" and a "sad b*stard" with "nothing better to do with their lives"? Your moronic words, not mine.

Your Tom Cruise piece is actually quite funny but I don't think anyone here has stated that that's what was missing from the drama. What was missing was budget and vision ... and excitement. Look, we're all flying enthusiasts here, so we're all going to have liked this drama a bit or a lot. But my wife, who doesn't share my interest, fell asleep during First Light. So did my mum. And a review in The Independent says First Light ... "achieved the implausible task of making the subject a tiny bit dull". It just wasn't gripping enough for many viewers, flight sim nuts or not.

There was so much more material in the book that could have been used but wasn't. The opening scene should, IMHO, have been a wide shot of a school cricket game in progress, with Wellum, as captain, in bat. He was a school boy at the start of this whole process, and this was not properly emphasised. Or what about his initial interview, or his being torn off a strip during flight training or watching one of his colleagues get killed on a night take-off during training, or watching his transition from tiger moth, to harvard to spit? Or developing his friendship with Peter Pease only to find out that he was killed soon after being posted to his Squadron? And of course, the incredible story of Wellum's time in Malta and the extremely risky carrier take-off in the Med? There was so much which could, no should, have been included. The bad weather flying scene, his first 109 encounter and his brief trip home were included and done very well, I must say.

The drama was indeed well acted and moving at times. Rubbing names off the chalk board in the mess was particularly poignant. The signed blackboard in the pub was a nice authentic touch too. I also agree that his first spit flight was extremely well done - my heart was racing with his as he was strapping in.

As for the bit of skirt ... yes, you put your finger on it. I am a gaylord and would have much preferred to see Wellum copping off with Kingcome. Band of Brothers didn't need any skirt to keep it interesting, authentic, exciting, moving and appealing to a large audience. It's almost as if the BBC thought they ran out of material and needed to fill it with some skirt, as you put it. My real reason though for feeling uncomfortable is that I have met Wellum twice and felt uneasy for him having to watch some of those scenes which I can only assume were made up as there is no mention of them in the book.

The TV version of First Light wasn't bad, it was just disappointing. However, if it inspires more people to read the book and get Wellum's story as he intended it, then I'm happy.

PPanPan
Hello PanPan. First off, no need to get your knickers in a twist, I included many big grinning smilies () to indicate it was tongue in cheek and was actually laughing whilst typing it.....Chill out. I do however think that people who scour film frame by frame for the slightest inconsequential 'inaccuracy' or 'anachronism' are a wee bit anal, and I stand by this 'moronic' assertion. Cheers.

Thanks for your lengthy description of events from a book I have already read (a few times) but can you explain how all of this could fit into a 1hr 20min production? I'll answer that for you, its quite impossible.

There was no "review" to speak of in the Independent (I read it). Unless of course you count a scant passing mention mainly comprising your quote as a "review". The majority of reviews have in fact been overwhelmingly positive. Regardless, the only "review" that matters to me is mine.

My real reason though for feeling uncomfortable is that I have met Wellum twice and felt uneasy for him having to watch some of those scenes which I can only assume were made up as there is no mention of them in the book.

Why feel uneasy? What on earth is so unusual about a bloke kissing his girl in a field or in a car? I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure if he was that concerned about the 'factual accuracy' of whether he snogged Grace in a field, behind the bike shed, or not at all (unlikely).....He would have been up in arms about it. My guess is it wasn't too far off the mark. You do remember when you were 18, aye?

Since you and Wellum are good mates, let me allay your fears as to his opinion on the production.

"I think it is probably the most authentic rendering of what happened in the Battle of Britain to have ever been produced"

One can conclude from this that unlike you, he found it a satisfactory account. Maybe the BOB was just boring. But don't just take my word for it.

So, I'm sorry that it did not fulfil your "explosion quota" but there is more to a screenplay than that. There was clever subtext throughout if you bothered to look for it, and the main theme was the enormous and debilitating psychological stress these young men were under. Probably something Wellum thought very necessary to convey.

The understatement was quite deliberate and central to the work, being representative of the social mores of the day and expected behaviour and convention. Stiff upper lip, what? Suppression, then release was another dramatic device frequently employed to this purpose. No relationships developed fully, again quite deliberate.

Maybe "Bruce Willis in a Vest 5" would be more to your liking, I don't know. There's no accounting for taste.

Cheers.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

@Winny, try Bittorrent.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Approved Member

Haven't really got time for this but here goes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAF_FB_Orville View Post
Hello PanPan. First off, no need to get your knickers in a twist, I included many big grinning smilies () to indicate it was tongue in cheek and was actually laughing whilst typing it.....Chill out.
OK, fair enough. Consider my knickers untwisted now . If this was a conversation in a pub, I'm sure I would have got it. But it's not. It's just the nature of forums and the way people express themselves that continues to catch me out .

Quote:
I do however think that people who scour film frame by frame for the slightest inconsequential 'inaccuracy' or 'anachronism' are a wee bit anal, and I stand by this 'moronic' assertion. Cheers.
We agree. Hooray. For example, I made no mention of the IKEA sideboard visible in the Officers' Mess.. BTW, I used 'moronic' in reference to your language, not your assertion.

Quote:
Thanks for your lengthy description of events from a book I have already read (a few times) but can you explain how all of this could fit into a 1hr 20min production? I'll answer that for you, its quite impossible.
I am glad you have already read the book but I included those events in my post as I thought others who have not read it may find them interesting and perhaps encourage them to go and get the book. (No, I'm not on commission from the publishers ).

I also agree it would have been quite impossible to fit all those events in to an 80 minute production. That is precisely why I mentioned Band of Brothers. Not for the 'explosions' but for the quality and length of production which would have allowed the entire book to be dramatised.

Quote:
There was no "review" to speak of in the Independent (I read it). Unless of course you count a scant passing mention mainly comprising your quote as a "review". The majority of reviews have in fact been overwhelmingly positive. Regardless, the only "review" that matters to me is mine.
OK, fair point. It wasn't a huge amount of writing - perhaps a reviewette?! See,
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...4-2079273.html

My real reason though for feeling uncomfortable is that I have met Wellum twice and felt uneasy for him having to watch some of those scenes which I can only assume were made up as there is no mention of them in the book.

Quote:
Why feel uneasy? What on earth is so unusual about a bloke kissing his girl in a field or in a car? I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure if he was that concerned about the 'factual accuracy' of whether he snogged Grace in a field, behind the bike shed, or not at all (unlikely).....He would have been up in arms about it. My guess is it wasn't too far off the mark. You do remember when you were 18, aye?
Fair point ... maybe I'm just being too sentimental.

Quote:
Since you and Wellum are good mates ...
Now that's just being provocative. I never said we were mates. I said I had met him twice.

Quote:
... let me allay your fears as to his opinion on the production.

"I think it is probably the most authentic rendering of what happened in the Battle of Britain to have ever been produced"
If that's the case, then who am I to argue. If GW is happy, then I'm happy. Maybe I'll watch it again and see if I change my mind!

Quote:
One can conclude from this that unlike you, he found it a satisfactory account. Maybe the BOB was just boring.
There you go again. Maybe only the pilots who fell asleep at dispersal found it boring!!

Quote:
But don't just take my word for it.
I hadn't seen that video. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
So, I'm sorry that it did not fulfil your "explosion quota" but there is more to a screenplay than that. There was clever subtext throughout if you bothered to look for it, and the main theme was the enormous and debilitating psychological stress these young men were under. Probably something Wellum thought very necessary to convey.
Don't be sorry . It's not your fault - or were you on the production team?!. Actually, as I said in my post, my favourite parts were listening to GW's voice overs and seeing him on screen. Explosion count is not what it's about. Hooray, yet another we agree on - yippee.

Quote:
The understatement was quite deliberate and central to the work, being representative of the social mores of the day and expected behaviour and convention. Stiff upper lip, what? Suppression, then release was another dramatic device frequently employed to this purpose. No relationships developed fully, again quite deliberate.
I agree, and it was entirely noticeable. It was noticeable in the book too which was an exciting read and as far as I recall, the book didn't blow up. Not even once.

Quote:
Maybe "Bruce Willis in a Vest 5" would be more to your liking, I don't know. There's no accounting for taste.
Well, maybe "Bruce Willis in a Zimmer Frame 5" ha ha ha ha You said it. You don't know.

Bottoms up old chap.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Haven't really got time for this but here goes ...

OK, fair enough. Consider my knickers untwisted now . If this was a conversation in a pub, I'm sure I would have got it. But it's not. It's just the nature of forums and the way people express themselves that continues to catch me out .

We agree. Hooray. For example, I made no mention of the IKEA sideboard visible in the Officers' Mess.. BTW, I used 'moronic' in reference to your language, not your assertion.

I am glad you have already read the book but I included those events in my post as I thought others who have not read it may find them interesting and perhaps encourage them to go and get the book. (No, I'm not on commission from the publishers ).

I also agree it would have been quite impossible to fit all those events in to an 80 minute production. That is precisely why I mentioned Band of Brothers. Not for the 'explosions' but for the quality and length of production which would have allowed the entire book to be dramatised.

OK, fair point. It wasn't a huge amount of writing - perhaps a reviewette?! See,
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...4-2079273.html

Fair point ... maybe I'm just being too sentimental.

Now that's just being provocative. I never said we were mates. I said I had met him twice.

If that's the case, then who am I to argue. If GW is happy, then I'm happy. Maybe I'll watch it again and see if I change my mind!

There you go again. Maybe only the pilots who fell asleep at dispersal found it boring!!

I hadn't seen that video. Thanks for sharing.

Don't be sorry . It's not your fault - or were you on the production team?!. Actually, as I said in my post, my favourite parts were listening to GW's voice overs and seeing him on screen. Explosion count is not what it's about. Hooray, yet another we agree on - yippee.

I agree, and it was entirely noticeable. It was noticeable in the book too which was an exciting read and as far as I recall, the book didn't blow up. Not even once.

Well, maybe "Bruce Willis in a Zimmer Frame 5" ha ha ha ha You said it. You don't know.

Bottoms up old chap.
Hehehehe, Good Man, and a good sport.

Cheers PeterPan!

*chin chin*

Last edited by RCAF_FB_Orville; 09-18-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up BBC Battle of Britain Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
...and we have Sunday Night on the BBC to look forward too!
And as one of the first to post after the event, I'll concede the Beeb did a great job on Sunday.
I'm not a religious person, but also watched the afternoon service and march/flypast, which I found excellent. (David Cameron looked completely bewildered though!)
The McGregor brothers were great fun and the programme well presented, although they kept referring to Douglas Bader as 'Leader of 12 Group' with no mention of Leigh-Mallory. Strange research/scripting, especially as Stephen Bungay was on hand(!).
It was great to see Colin Mc go through the three aircraft one by one, and also interesting to note that a time served RAF Tornado pilot still got choked up after flying and landing a Spit.
They should show this sort of stuff every year.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
And as one of the first to post after the event, I'll concede the Beeb did a great job on Sunday...
Totally agree, this was amazing TV, especially in HD which I was lucky enough to watch it in. I was seriously impressed with C McG's Harvard landing. The Spit landing was bloody hard work and you can see how many low time pilots would have come to grief on the roll out. And how many pints had Geoff Wellum had before they started filming?!? He looked nice and relaxed which was great to see. Top TV and definitely one to buy if it's ever released on DVD.

PPanPan
Old 09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
And how many pints had Geoff Wellum had before they started filming?!?
PPanPan
They didn't dub him 'The Boy Drunkard' for nothing!
Not that it bothers me at all, if I was him at 89, I wouldn't give a stuff either.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
They didn't dub him 'The Boy Drunkard' for nothing!
Not that it bothers me at all, if I was him at 89, I wouldn't give a stuff either.
Hee hee. Quite agree. I think he's more than earned the right to drink whatever he wants - I just hope the BBC were paying!

... and what was the phrase he used about trying his luck with the girls? Just priceless to see him laugh about that with that twinkle in his eye ... he's 89 going on 18 I think. Good for him. Just brilliant.