Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Approved Member

Default AI

This answer in the below quote from Luthier concerns me and would like to it clarified.

_________________________________________"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawBlues
Has the AI been improved to a point where we can get a decent fight with them? Much need for the offline players.

We like the offline AI. It's realistically dumb on lower levels, and pretty tricky at higher levels. There won't be a huge change there.

Well some AI behavior maybe OK, as some people have gotten better results adjusting the AI, (expert/average/rookie) settings. Not sure if thats actually what they are called.

BUT the AI could be alot better knowing when to attack, not crashing into the ground when you return to different base, etc etc. Your answer suggests that your happy with the AI, I hope its just the evasive manuovers your happy with, although that probably needs work as well. AI and AI commands is by far one of the most important features to make for decent gameplay, especially offline.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip
Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 AM
Approved Member

dont want to detract from your very legitimate concern about AI aircraft behavior in general, but have you tried this below illustrated method for controlling/directing your friendly AI Section//Schwarm//Staffel.

the suggestion/method was provided by one of the desastersoft reps to Heinkill (at Simhq)

Quote:
You can Command your Section//Schwarm//Staffel to attack enemys, when you follow some rules:

There are five Commands in the Attack Screen. The fifth (Attack my Enemy or enemy of my view, if I translate correct) is mostly inactive, you see, because it is dark red. When this Option is in color like the other options, bright red, than you can use it and your squadron will attack. After Attack is done, you need to order your Squadron to go in very close Formation. This makes you able to order again an Attack at next time you meet enemies.

As I found out while testing, this reflects the human reactions of combat and command. Because: the enemy must be really visible for you and the squadron on a distance to be really identifyable.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Old 09-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
dont want to detract from your very legitimate concern about AI aircraft behavior in general, but have you tried this below illustrated method for controlling/directing your friendly AI Section//Schwarm//Staffel.

the suggestion/method was provided by one of the desastersoft reps to Heinkill (at Simhq)
Thanks for the input. Hopefully at some point the developer will provide a readme. I know its almost impossible to do an accurate write-up until the game engine if finished and they know exactly how everything will work.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip
Old 09-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Approved Member

I think a lot of problem is this...the coder he only plays in FMB, if at all. Probably he stopped really playing and dogfighting a long time ago. In FMB you can adjust the skill sliders to get a good fight, but not in quick mission or in campaigns others have made. You look at that huge thread on the AI, you see no reaction at all from 1C, so that tells you..,they think AI is great. The never flew BoB2 so they don't know what real kickbutt dogfighting AI is like.

Remember Oleg kept saying IL2 AI was the best ever and could not be improved!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planespotter View Post
I think a lot of problem is this...the coder he only plays in FMB, if at all. Probably he stopped really playing and dogfighting a long time ago. In FMB you can adjust the skill sliders to get a good fight, but not in quick mission or in campaigns others have made.
if that is true, and i hope it is because then at least there is a working code under the hood, wouldnt it be possible to access those same AI routines from the FMB and by some sort of script make them available in quick missions or campaigns ?

maybe somebody here with some programming knowledge could look at that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planespotter View Post
You look at that huge thread on the AI, you see no reaction at all from 1C, so that tells you..,they think AI is great. The never flew BoB2 so they don't know what real kickbutt dogfighting AI is like.
iirc the AI code in the other BoB sim was expanded and improved by a fan i think, it didnt come with the original program. maybe we can get the same person involved in CoD or provide us with some guidance on how to go about it
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Old 09-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

we don't have access to them, as there's no source code/SDK making them accessible.

I've kept asking for this.. but no one wants to listen, or join to chorus
Old 09-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonys View Post
we don't have access to them, as there's no source code/SDK making them accessible.

I've kept asking for this.. but no one wants to listen, or join to chorus
I'll join the chorus-line mate. Il2-1946 modders & DT have proven themselves more than capable of improving the Ai performance in 1946. I see no reason why the community could not improve the Ai performance in COD given access to the code. This need not be an ad-hoc process. The dev's could give access to selected peope who have a history of proven coding performance, and 1C/dev's could still retain ultimate approval for incorporation of any community changes to COD.

Get the latest COD Team Fusion patch info HERE
Old 09-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
iirc the AI code in the other BoB sim was expanded and improved by a fan i think, it didnt come with the original program. maybe we can get the same person involved in CoD or provide us with some guidance on how to go about it
The name is Buddye.

You can find a bunch of posts from him in these threads.

AI is in top of my head
Community help needed with AI and Radio Comms
We like the offline AI. It's realistically dumb

Apparently all were ignored.

S!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You know his name is Buddy and he offered to help on this forum, and he was never contacted. That says it all.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Approved Member

they just need to give us access to the AI code, that would be all. and we can do the rest for them, as they seem unable, whatever the reason, to pull it off.