Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Approved Member

Default Game comparisons..

I've been looking at DCS which has a P51 and an FW190 coming up soon.
What your opinion about it... as I see on the DCS/Eagle forums they generally go to town on IL2 and CLOD
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Its great.

If you like flight sims, whats not to like?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Approved Member

From the DCS side of things IL2 may seem simplistic because it's not a study sim, but it has the right features in the right places.

If you're looking for a procedural trainer to learn how to operate the real thing, DCS has the advantage.

If you're looking to actually fly into combat in WW2 theaters with a large variety of period correct aircraft, environments and vehicles, IL2 has all that.

Personally I start up DCS: A10 every once in a while to sit in the cockpit and fiddle with the switches, but usually I don't even bother plugging in my joystick.
For me, when it comes to actually flying, IL2 has my preference. Even over GA sims.

IL2 also has not just more terrain choices, but terrain choices full stop. Unless DCS finally got the Nevada map it was promised ages ago, the Russian/Georgian map is still the same one I flew in LOMAC.

If you're looking for a WW2 setting specifically, DCS has very little to offer in that department. As far as I know there is no flak, only SAMs and shilka-style AA.
The AI aircraft are also much more modern, so either you fly mustang vs mustang, or get shot down by guided missiles.
In general DCS is much more focused on BVR. IL2 is the polar opposite. The few missiles it has are anti shipping or TOW-style guidance. Actual air to air combat is done with guns.

I would also argue the P51 in DCS is closer to the Vietnam war than WW2 loadout and technology wise.

I do urge you to try both. Either sim has its qualities, but it all depends on what you're looking for.

One last thing to keep in mind is the rig you're using. IL2 may look outdated, but the eye-candy in DCS demands much more powerful hardware. If you can't run it at a steady framerate, you're not going to enjoy it.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 AM
Approved Member

It looks like this is the case thus far.

Maybe with some maps, object and more a/c development it could be a very nice WW2 sim.

I'm just wary of the per a/c price (40USD) is a bit steep.
At 20 USD I'd say it'll be more popular
Old 02-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Approved Member

Several of the guys on our forum are very into the DCS thing, and are constantly promoting it and ripping on the failure of CloD, and the antiquity of IL2/46.

For years now they keep saying that more content is coming and that the P51 beta will soon be a full fledged WW2 sim.

Right.

And I'm the Queen Mother.

DCS advances at a glacial pace, as civilian simulators are not their primary focus. They will need a minimum of 2 more years to have a WW2 sim that could even come close to the content choices that IL2 had on release ten plus yeas ago...

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Approved Member

Anyway, went ahead and bought a P51. I'll fly this until the FW190 come out, then I'll switch quickly

Mannnn!! the P51 is soooo loose in DCS.. punch the throttle (engine response is 'immediate') and it climbs an imaginary left hand bank (roll right)... literally does a barrel roll on the ground - THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO according to the vets.

TD if you can get this right for all a/c...

Last edited by K_Freddie; 02-08-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Approved Member

so true DCS-51D is something to master, I always use 50% throttle on runway (but I'm a sissy too )
Fw-190 will be interesting but if God loves us we'll have a P-40 after that one (I'm sure I've seen one in FC stable, actually I think they have two).