Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Approved Member

Default Enemy off your 6...

what favoured technique do you use (most effectively) to shake an enemy off your six?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Approved Member

there are as many techniques as there are fighter-planes, each has its own!
and then there is the pilots-skill.
for example a basic technique for the 190 is to dive with 850 km/h, not many enemys can follow you or are willing to give up the height-advance.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Approved Member

Have you seen Team America?

Have you seen Gary Johnston's "I'm in trouble" signal?

I do that. And cry.

T.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Approved Member

I'm by no means an expert but I have learned that it's better not to get in that situation in the first place. Easier said than done in a DF server though.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Approved Member

"Hard break" or "split S"...some "say" they like the "barrel roll" but I can never pull it off under fire.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmeat313 View Post
Have you seen Team America?

Have you seen Gary Johnston's "I'm in trouble" signal?

I do that. And cry.

T.
Whats all this??
Old 05-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

As i almost never fly the planes that cant dogfight, i find the best way in any plane i fly is simply to out maneuver them and shoot their arse.
but if you fly the bricks... atleast when i encounter them, they all do one thing... RUN RUN RUN as fast as you can.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Approved Member

There is much more fun in flying powerful (but not very maneuverable) planes, and shooting down enemy planes with them. The feeling of achievement is bigger and more rewarding. The best is keep high with them. FW is a good example. Is fast in a dive but still can roll fantasticaly at speeds of 700 km/h. You can dive and turn without loosing much of your energy. With planes like p47 you can do two things , dive and get 800km/h, then get some distance from your persuiter, and then climb abruptly for a hammerhead or an immelman. Another option is keep 5000 meters and if anything bothers you climb to 8000, is there when the plane show it's true potencial, saddly there is no much combat at that high unless you create a custom mission with bombers.

In short, this planes: fw, p51, p47, corsair, wildcat, etc are boom and zoom planes. RDDD definitely fly only dogfight servers, but if you like realism and not arcade this are the planes of choice of the best and more experimented online flyers, and probably fw a9, dora and TA the most popular of all. They are all tricky and require learning a lot of skills and a lot of frustration in all the learning process. It is very frustrating spend 15 minutes at altitude looking for contacts and been chase endesly for an overmodeled LA7, Spitfire 25LB, or yak3p (the planes of choice of the opposite type of players with the zero, but this one will is too slow), but honestly the boom and zoom planes are the last step in your learning process. Once mastered you will never go back.

Remember with this planes "altitude (energy) is live" was never more true.

Last edited by Ala13_Kokakolo; 05-11-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

These days i fly on the UK-D 2, because i just returned to the game after a year or so of pause, and i'm getting my bearing again. Back then i was using the Zeke vs. Wildcats server or UK-D 3...

As for dogfights servers, which i still think UK-D 2 is, because of the free externals... its the only place i have been able to find early war maps from pacific and western front. And i'm not a fan of late war, its no fun unless your brick flier.
And i find that offensive, that you assume that just because i'm not a brick flier I like arcade servers, as soon as i get my stuff back i'll go back and find the server where everything it turned on.

As far as what you are talking about... why is it more rewarding? And i disagree to my death about the learning, any monkey can B'n'Z! I'll like to see you people, yes you people, i said it... survive is a furball.
I would like to see a Brick Flier keep Situational Awareness and the upper hand in a dogfight on closed pit, with the proper plane for it of course!

All that being said, all fliers B'n'Z from time to time... if i'm at altitude and spot a guy down low, i dont throttle down and glide to him, i pounce on him and go back up to see what my actions started, he might have frinds! But i'll still take a maneuveable like the Spitfire, over a FW-190A9 any day... The Spitfire simply because of what it is has more options for fighting, the FW190A9 only has 2 as you say your self... Stay High or Run.

But at the end of the day, you are going to get as many playstyles as you have players, and we who are not stat whores playing for points, our tactics are all there for one reason... get back alive.
And lets not start a X vs. X thing here, not the thread for it!

Last edited by RDDD; 05-11-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revi View Post
what favoured technique do you use (most effectively) to shake an enemy off your six?
I scream for my wingman to "get this sucker offen my tail!" Works like a charm
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.