Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw_wolverine View Post
My god, you're right! I was checking my five o'clock this morning on the commute because I thought I'd picked up a wingman.

I hereby launch the Cliffs of Dover PMS Group! The Proper Merlin Sounds Group.

How come those ruddy blue pilots get a lovely sounding DB engine and we get a transport truck?
PMS? Love it! Make me a charter member!

I can live with a wimpy Spit Ia, I can deal with a reversed-animation Spitfire mixture lever, but a diesel engine under the cowling????? NEVER!!!

(Sorry, was having a Jafa Sound Mod - moment.......)
Old 02-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
No diesels, then?
Nope....but German bombers had diesels, I have no idea what they used to create the merlin sounds, I guess it's just too hard to synthesize the pure music of a merlin

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Approved Member

BS...tell Luthier to make the Hurricane fly-by sound just like that.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Nope....but German bombers had diesels, I have no idea what they used to create the merlin sounds, I guess it's just too hard to synthesize the pure music of a merlin
Seriously, I didn't know the Axis used diesels in bombers. I imagine, back in the day, they would've been fun to start in the winter -- although obviously they had that figured out only too well.

I'm puzzled that the 1C devs goofed up on the Merlin sounds, since Jafa's came so close to the external (F2 key) and, although not quite there, distinctly better than 1C on the flyby sound (F3 key):

(and this mod was released by Jafa over 9 months ago soon after CoD's release!!!)

http://vimeo.com/24922949
Old 02-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Seriously, I didn't know the Axis used diesels in bombers. I imagine, back in the day, they would've been fun to start in the winter -- although obviously they had that figured out only too well.

I'm puzzled that the 1C devs goofed up on the Merlin sounds, since Jafa's came so close to the external (F2 key) and, although not quite there, distinctly better than 1C on the flyby sound (F3 key):

(and this mod was released by Jafa over 9 months ago soon after CoD's release!!!)

http://vimeo.com/24922949
I don't think they really got used by the beginning of the of war.

anyway we'll have to see whether the patch brings something to the sounds, at least the improved the sound engine (didn't they say more was to come?)

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Approved Member

S!

The high altitude Ju86 used diesel engines. Early war no plane could get to it as it flew above 12000m.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
I don't think they really got used by the beginning of the of war.

anyway we'll have to see whether the patch brings something to the sounds, at least the improved the sound engine (didn't they say more was to come?)
Hope so!

I'm the first one to give kudos to 1C for what they've delivered to us, warts and all. Obviously, I fly online a LOT, and 1C have provided me the means to greatly enjoy the whole air combat experience in my personal favourite of all theatres of virtual war. A few weeks back Wolverine and I teamed up on the server, flying line abreast over the Channel and successfully engaged several 109's in quick succession. Using Teamspeak, with the fantastic in-cockpit sounds and graphics, it felt like we were THERE! How can you beat that, sitting in the warm comfort of your computer room/rec room?

That said, as a Canuck with Brit & Aussie blood in my veins, I wish 1C would have taken a true dyed-in-the-wool Brit on board as an influential consultant to put the true Allied "heart" into the Red side: Campaign, aircraft sounds, flyables, etc etc. The distinctive note of the Merlin strikes an emotional chord of anyone associated in any way with the Battle of Britain, and yet the devs inexplicably missed that completely. Moscow is truly a long way from Duxford in this case.

As I've heard it described elsewhere, the devs will know when they've got the Merlin flyby right when the hairs on the back of their neck stands up!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Approved Member

Was the IIc Hurri the one with the 4 20mm cannon? That indeed was my fav Hurri from IL2. Packed a punch on the desert map in Spits vs 109 server.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

S!

So I have read too, Hurricane Mk.IIc was armed with 4 x 20mm Hispano, Mk.IIb with 12 x .303cal and the Mk.IId with 2 x .303cal and 2 x 40mm Bofors...Can be wrong though...
Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Nice!

Hopefully this classic Merlin flyby sound will replace the current diesel trucks that our Spits and Hurries sound like in Cliffs of Dover. Perhaps Black6 can forward this to Luthier with a note saying, simply, "Like THIS, Ilya!!!!"

THAT'S IT! IT DOES! A diesel! Sounds like a gear jammin semi truck. Good call Snapper. It always eluded me as to what it sounded like and that is spot on. Rather than the Battle of Brittan theme I have East Bound and Down in my head now.

Last edited by ATAG_Doc; 02-02-2012 at 03:20 PM.