Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Crossworlds

King's Bounty: Crossworlds The expansion to the award-winning King’s Bounty: Armored Princess.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Default Game is hard

Hello, I'm playing the standard AP campaign with Crossworlds ( March of the orcs it is called I think ) and I'm finding the game rather difficult.

I'm a Paladin, lvl 5, developing my character trying to reach resurrection first. I've cleared out the first island (completely), have got 800 leadership ( 12 Royal Snakes, 10 Ancient Bears, 12+- Archers, 8 Inquisitors and 16 priests ) and I'm finding the second island ( Scarlet Wind I think ) too hard.

I basically tried my standard tactic of first clearing all the reachable weak units from the map and looting a little bit (I'd rather not kite) and then pass on to the stronger ones. Problem is, the stronger ones are a lot stronger. I'm trying to do this without incurring any losses, but if I want to fight new units I will incur a lot of losses since they have a lot more units than me. I am keeping off from buying any items to help me (saving for something that gives +10 mind runes after 50 victories) but that shouldn't be a problem.

So, any advice on how to deal with the situation? Also, any advice on how to develop my Paladin is also appreciated.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Approved Member

Are you playing on Hard or Normal?

My advice - ditch the priests... you have Inquisitors, they are better in all regards. Try to get your "Holy Warrior" medal to increase their damage even more (just cast Healing as often as you can).

Instead of Priests, I recommend you get some tough melee units that can take a beating, bears are OK but they are not the best. I recon you already got Jimmy Kraud, try to recruit Sea Dogs - their Evasion ability plus the increased speed given by Jimmy really helps. Then, explore Scarlet wind and Bolo, soon you will get the map to Rusty Anchor too. If you can, swap the bears for Paladins, Knights or Horsemen.

One other tactic you could try, as they are always available - the witch's hut on Debir always sells Royal Thorns and Fauns. These two work very well in unison.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Approved Member

I guess unit setup is up to you, however for no kiting especially navigation map kiting, no loss and impossible difficulty, you need:

1. For unit setup: royal thorn, a tank, attacker like royal snake, inquisitor for rage gatherer and resurector, another 2 slot depend on your game randomize. For a tank, debir island have a nice one, like orc tracker.

If you don't have want to bring full 5 units with you, just those 4 is ok, but split inquisitor to 2 stack for quick rage gathering.

Well, if you bring full 5 units, consider bringing archmage from scarlet wind.

Archmage, inquisitor, royal snake, royal thorn, orcish tanker always spawn, it's not random.

Try to check wizard tower floor 1, sometimes they have nice spells for 0 gold, like target and stone skin.

If you have target, you can safely bring full 5 units without fear of losing against reasonable enemy, you cast target on your tank then archmage cast magic shield to your tank, and because enemies in early island are low lv, target lv 1 or lv 2 usually suffice.

2. Pet dragon build:
High lv pet dragon kick and treasure searcher (to search for call of colosus spell). Focus to lv your pet dragon skill untill it deal 400-500 damage and treasure searcher skill untill you can dig two treasure chests. You need call of colosus if you want very easy life in bolo and rusty anchor.

3. Paladin skill build:
Ignore resurrection at this point, focus on glory 3 (get it asap), then order magic 2 or 3 if you desperately need strong healing, then distortion magic 2 or 3 for better stone skin (distortion 2 usually suffice) and then chaos magic 1 (get it to lv 2 later) for fear spells.

You also need anger 1 from warrior skill tree, get it to lv 2 later.

After you have all of those, you can focus on getting resurection.

4. Get Grand strategy medal lv 2 asap. You need to have 2000 leadership by the end of scarlet wind island. Then buy rune mage at the place where you buy archmage.

Then before moving to bolo put all your units in ariana castle except rune mage, archmage and inquisitor. You can leave your inquisitor though.

5. By the time you arrive in bolo, try grabbing as many leadership flag as possible, you need to have 2500 leadership in this island.

Try to sneak your amelie to the droid seller. Buy both droids. Then proceed on killing enemies untill you reach 2500 leadership.

Then take advantage of the portal to underground catacomb there to get black dragon from your call of colosus spell. However if you already give up on reaching 2500 leadership, just try to get red dragon (need 2000 leadership) as soon as you arrive on bolo.

After you have either black or red dragon, all enemies suddenly become very easy for no loss, no navigation map kiting and impossible difficulty untill you reach verona.

The rest is up to you.

6. Additional info:
You can get 1 green dragon in rusty anchor island for 50 bowman, 50 pirate, 50 robber.

Bolo sometimes sell cyclop (a lv 5 unit).

Rusty anchor island sometimes sell lv 5 unit (can be troll, cyclop, or even black dragon!).
Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm playing on Normal .

I'm not doing a no losses run, but just trying to prevent losses for the Medal and to avoid having to spend money.

I have met Jimmy Kraud and , after reading the info thread, have decided I will recruit him. However I won't hire "robber" types in my army since my other troops won't like that (I think, I'm not sure if all pirates have the same trait ).

On unit composition: A third melee guy? From KBTL I have always had a 3 Ranged and 2 Melee set up. However I will try the Royal Thorn.

On skills: Skip ressurection? Perhaps this is the best idea, since the lack of spells is really annoying. I will wait before I get it now.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
On skills: Skip ressurection? Perhaps this is the best idea, since the lack of spells is really annoying. I will wait before I get it now.
Yep, you need spells to use the full potential of resurection. Mostly spells that deal with control, like target, sheep, blind, fear, pygmy, slow, and other spells like them.

And the most important spells are target and stone skin or divine armor. I'm sure you already know why. Resurection skill resurect random units however it can be controlled, that is why you need target to make them focus fire only on one of your unit and stone skin / divine armor to help the focused unit survive the current battle , then your resurection will be guaranteed to resurect them because they are the only one that have casualties in their ranks.

I recomend getting resurection after you have order magic 2 and distortion magic 2. And have control spells.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice.

The game is still hard as I am slowly progressing to order&distortion magic. I haven't reached it yet (although next level up I should, lvl 6 now ).

I've updated my army and bought a leadership item: 1100 Leadership, 9 Guardian Drones, 2 Engineers, 12 Royal Snakes, 20 Archers and 10 Inquisitors. I'm thinking about replacing the archers or snakes with Royal Thorns

Problem is, it is getting increasingly difficult to find mobs I can beat without losses and there are only a couple left that are under Strong (most are very strong too lethal).

The chance that I will reach 2000 leadership before I end this island is almost zero. I'm at 18/30 battles without losses and on Scarlet Wind I've got, at most, 10 battles left(that is including the ones that are unwinnable in the current state). There is a talking door too, maybe he contains a lot of enemies?

I don't know what to do since to beat the harder mobs I need leadership, but I can't get it because I need to beat them without losses first!
Any advice is appreciated.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Approved Member

talking doors has one enemy
Old 12-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
talking doors has one enemy
Yes, a zombie pirate who will probably be impossible to beat at your level without losses because he keeps casting poison skull, usually poisoning the troop (and that's the problem). Anyhow, you can't access the door anyway before getting the password from the parrot on Rusty Anchor.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

The game is still hard as I am slowly progressing to order&distortion magic. I haven't reached it yet (although next level up I should, lvl 6 now ).

I've updated my army and bought a leadership item: 1100 Leadership, 9 Guardian Drones, 2 Engineers, 12 Royal Snakes, 20 Archers and 10 Inquisitors. I'm thinking about replacing the archers or snakes with Royal Thorns

Problem is, it is getting increasingly difficult to find mobs I can beat without losses and there are only a couple left that are under Strong (most are very strong too lethal).

The chance that I will reach 2000 leadership before I end this island is almost zero. I'm at 18/30 battles without losses and on Scarlet Wind I've got, at most, 10 battles left(that is including the ones that are unwinnable in the current state). There is a talking door too, maybe he contains a lot of enemies?

I don't know what to do since to beat the harder mobs I need leadership, but I can't get it because I need to beat them without losses first!
Any advice is appreciated.
Some advices and tips that doesn't depend on the random element of the game, which means this always work (This is for impossible no loss kiting is ok but no map kiting. And i suppose it will 100% work for lesser difficulty):

No loss = Low variety of troop choices. No matter the difficulty, it is always the first rule of no loss.

Don't be intimidated by enemy power label (lethal, very strong, etc).

The most important thing is enemy unit composition vs your unit composition + your spells + your pet dragon.

Strong to very strong is killable for no loss, as for lethal, some lethal is killable for no loss though it's very tricky, yet some are not. Avoid invincible, very few of them are doable for no loss, but you don't want to take rist at this moment.

I suggest to dump archer and engineer (reason? hard to resurect), as for droids, unless you have repair droids, dump it.

Early island, i mean in debir to scarlet wind, you rely on your pet dragon skill to do damage, inquisitor is important here, note that spliting inquisitor also means quicker rage gathering.

Recomended setup: royal snake, inquisitor, orc tracker/any tank as tough as him or tougher than him, 1 archmage (yes, just 1).

Sometimes you need to have use 4 unit so that you can split inquisitor to 2 stacks, which means faster rage increase to do dragon kick.

Without target, healing, dispel, slow, haste and stone skin are your best friend.

Those setup will work on clearing all scarlet island enemy without loss except the one on old castle.

By the time you reach scarlet, those setup still work, but you probably want to add 1 archmage to cover your tank.

I assure you, with those setup, you should be able to get Grand Strategy medal 2, which will provide you 2000 leadership by the end of scarlet wind island, thus allowing you to buy rune mage.

Don't forget a kraken boss which give you insane amount of experience for your level. It is easily killable that lethal enemy in scarlet wind. More level=more leadership.

Then dump all of your unit except rune mage, 1 archmage, inquisitor before you proceed to bolo.

At early stage of the game, you need to play your paladin as a mage than as a warrior, yep, 85% mage and 15% warrior, no paladin at all except for glory 3 skill.

In bolo, rely on droids and rune mage as your tank, archmage is also needed, so does inquisitor. Or if you have call of colosus spell, try getting red dragon or if you can wait till tou have 2500 leadership and get black dragon, forget archmage and inquisitor if you have dragons.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies!

I've restarted my game (as a Paladin) and followed your advice. Much easier now! Thanks a lot.