Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Approved Member

Default Hey TD ..! Another is this doable post!

Hey is it possible to be able to toggle the icon distances to feet or meters? As it is now they are set at meters if I am not mistaken.. I don't know how doable that is though... Sort of like a variant on the speedbar toggle..
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Hey is it possible to be able to toggle the icon distances to feet or meters? As it is now they are set at meters if I am not mistaken.. I don't know how doable that is though... Sort of like a variant on the speedbar toggle..
Man, get used on the metric system. The USA, is almost the last place on earth still officialy using imperials. The british are slowly accepting them, but for once changing anyway.

If you need converting so much just mentally multiply by 3. If you want precision, after mutliplying, add 10%. You may also multiply by 3.3

If you want it in yards, just multiply meters by 1.1, or add a 10%.

I agree that instruments on brittish and american aircraft are in imperials, but for using Icons, nowadays a mere offline activity, come on!

Still, I guess that the answer to your question, is undoubtedly, YES!... but in two weeks...
Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Approved Member

While metric is ideal for me (unfortunately being stuck halfway between metric and Imperial and US) and that's how I play IL-2... from a historical standpoint since so many gunsights and cockpit systems use various measurement systems I think this is a pretty reasonable request.

If it were a modern day shooter then I think metric is the only way to go (and that tends to be represented in most if not all representations of those) but for a historical sim having distances on the icons show up in different measurement systems used at the time seems reasonable.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Hey is it possible to be able to toggle the icon distances to feet or meters?
+1. I thought that this was already possible, but I guess that I was wrong.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
+1. I thought that this was already possible, but I guess that I was wrong.
Just the speed bar.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Approved Member

Should be aligned to speedbar setting then.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Man, get used on the metric system. The USA, is almost the last place on earth still officialy using imperials. The british are slowly accepting them, but for once changing anyway.

If you need converting so much just mentally multiply by 3. If you want precision, after mutliplying, add 10%. You may also multiply by 3.3

If you want it in yards, just multiply meters by 1.1, or add a 10%.

I agree that instruments on brittish and american aircraft are in imperials, but for using Icons, nowadays a mere offline activity, come on!

Still, I guess that the answer to your question, is undoubtedly, YES!... but in two weeks...
You may not appreciate how hard it is to make the conversion to metric measures for the Brits and us Americans (who have the double penalty of our crappy basic educational system). I'm sure it was just as hard for your ancestors converting to metric a century or two ago, but it's hard to grow up in one system of weights, volume and measures and then convert to a new one, no matter how logical it is.

Y'know, I've been doing the math in my head ever since the late 1960s when I was swimming competitively in pools measured by yards for my high school team and then swimming in pools measured in meters for my AAU team during the summers, but metric isn't really 'real' to me. I just never got the same feeling of accomplishment from doing a 500m Freestyle in under 5:30 that I got from doing a quarter mile Free in under 4:15...

I can look at a piece of lumber and know instantly that it's an inch thick and about 6 feet long by about 15 inches wide, but I have to do the math in my head to get the metric equivalents--and even then, if I don't write them down, I'll have to do it all over again later. When I'm trying to do an acceleration comparison and noting the altitude variations between 10kph intervals, a climb or a drop of 30 m doesn't sound like much until I realize that hey, that's as high as a building at least eight stories high (no wonder I lost a second or two compared to the more level intervals in other runs)!

Have a little compassion for us ignoramuses.

cheers

horseback
Old 06-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJGr.Ost_Caspar View Post
Should be aligned to speedbar setting then.
I think that's logical
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Approved Member

I have the same 'feeling' that horseback has but in the oposite, from meter to feet, yard, mile ...
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseback View Post
You may not appreciate how hard it is to make the conversion to metric measures for the Brits and us Americans (who have the double penalty of our crappy basic educational system). I'm sure it was just as hard for your ancestors converting to metric a century or two ago, but it's hard to grow up in one system of weights, volume and measures and then convert to a new one, no matter how logical it is.

Y'know, I've been doing the math in my head ever since the late 1960s when I was swimming competitively in pools measured by yards for my high school team and then swimming in pools measured in meters for my AAU team during the summers, but metric isn't really 'real' to me. I just never got the same feeling of accomplishment from doing a 500m Freestyle in under 5:30 that I got from doing a quarter mile Free in under 4:15...

I can look at a piece of lumber and know instantly that it's an inch thick and about 6 feet long by about 15 inches wide, but I have to do the math in my head to get the metric equivalents--and even then, if I don't write them down, I'll have to do it all over again later. When I'm trying to do an acceleration comparison and noting the altitude variations between 10kph intervals, a climb or a drop of 30 m doesn't sound like much until I realize that hey, that's as high as a building at least eight stories high (no wonder I lost a second or two compared to the more level intervals in other runs)!

Have a little compassion for us ignoramuses.

cheers

horseback
Don't worry about it. At least we have units of time in common.
Well, until someone decides that 24 hours per day makes no sense and we should introduce new hour unit which will be 10 new hours per day, 100 new minutes per new hour and 100 new seconds per new minute.

Of course, working hours will still be 8 new hours per day. So people can more easily adjust to new time measuring units.