Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Approved Member

Default Standard Layout / PAD

Dear friends,

This message is directed at those of you who fly with the Standard Layout on the pad.

I tried all I could think of to replicate this layout in a custom layout, but unfortunately it just won't work. The problem is that when the rudder and throttle are assigned to the right stick, pushing down on the stick (R3 button) for free view and moving the stick up/down or left/right will not only give you free view, but will also move the throttle and/or rudder, something which clearly doesn't happen in Standard Layout.

Like I said, I tried all combinations I could think of. No success. It must be an oversight by the programmers not to allow a combination of buttons to cancel single button functions.

As a consequence, in my opinion, it is unfortunately totally useless to make a Standard Layout custom layout on the pad. What's the point of having an unwanted throttle/rudder input any time you want to look around - you just don't have control any more.

Just to save you the time, I also tried to assign the rudders to L2/R2 (the trigger-like buttons in front and down on the pad) in the hope that this would result in the same analogue fine control over the rudder, but found that this doesn't work since these buttons behave just like the digital L1/R1 buttons. Not analogue at all.

So, as I see it, you have a two choices:

1. continue flying with the Standard Layout. Of course this is possible, but you will have a big disadvantage when playing in Club rules. The P51 in this setting stalls much sooner and much more violently than with a customised setting.

2. take the hard road and change over custom aviator layout. I know this is a lot to ask having played with your usual layout for a long time. It is gonna be hard for some time, but well worth the work.

Clearly, I recommend you the second option. Here's why:

- airplane behaviour and response: much much better in custom aviator
- free view: in custom aviator you can always look freely and at the same time operate all controls
- rudder: while it's true that you don't have the same fine control over the rudder, you do have good control since even though L1/L2 are digital, the rudder input is quite slow and gradual. Similar effect as with analogue but timing is more important.
- other functions (fire/flaps/map/etc.): you can still assign them as is best for you.

Hope this makes sense and you can follow my logic. If you need any help with changing I'll be glad to assist.

Best,

MAC

Last edited by MACADEMIC; 06-18-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Approved Member

In SIM I have been playing with the pad, custom layout 3.
It works ok, if you can do without rudder control.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

some pics of p51
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -_p 51.jpg (207.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg north american p51 b mustang_exposure.jpg (82.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg p 51 mustang.jpg (169.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg detroitmiss.jpg (36.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Copie demustang profiles.jpg (48.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Approved Member

Default Our Club goes International!

Dear all,

Today I added links to Google translate to the first post of this thread. The translated languages are French, Russian, Spanish, German and Italian.
While the translations are not perfect, they seem mostly okay and I think this is a great way of bridging the language barrier.

If you want to join the club but don't speak English, or you have some comment or questions,
you can just reply on this thread in one of these languages.

Best,

MAC

Last edited by MACADEMIC; 06-18-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olife View Post
some pics of p51
Thanks buddy, nice pictures! Did you already do your custom setup?

See you soon!

MAC

Old 06-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACADEMIC View Post
Thanks buddy, nice pictures! Did you already do your custom setup?

See you soon!

MAC

yes i custome the settings for elevators,rudder in details and all of that in details as u say me,but i have a probs with the settings of control plane(pad)when i want to do it my blue ray game stop and my ps3 restart at the ps3 menu!don't know if i do a bad manipulation or if my ps3 start to be "tired"...i will retry and i will say u the results
great games last night "teacher" macademic!!!!!
see u soon ,good hunting and thanks a lot bud to translate in many languages,really very sympathetic!!

Last edited by olife; 06-18-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACADEMIC View Post
Happy to welcome our first Russian cowboy to our club: dbnfk777
Make mother Russia proud!

MACADEMIC
welcome "777",great night of fight last night with u , "teacher" mac,mage and brigg,really fun.
go,go normandie-niemen!!!lol

Last edited by olife; 06-18-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olife View Post
yes i custome the settings for elevators,rudder in details and all of that in details as u say me,but i have a probs with the settings of control plane(pad)when i want to do it my blue ray game stop and my ps3 restart at the ps3 menu!don't know if i do a bad manipulation or if my ps3 start to be "tired"...i will retry and i will say u the results
great games last night "teacher" macademic!!!!!
see u soon ,good hunting and thanks a lot bud to translate in many languages,really very sympathetic!!
First time I hear of such a problem. There are a few things that behave strangely when you use a custom layout (like when you respawn you have a strange noise) but none of them make the PS3 crash as far as I know.

Please check again your settings and let me know if that problem continues.

MAC
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Approved Member

Default One Step Closer to the Real Thing: No Map!

NO MAP GAMES!

Last night we tried a variation of the game that brings us one step closer to the real thing: flying without using the map. We did one game as CTA with one airfield which worked very well, and a team battle in Britain where the mission objective was to defend Dover harbour. This also worked very well.

I found that never looking at the map but scanning the sky adds a lot to the immersive experience of 'being there'. Flying by look and see, and by 'lose the sight, lose the fight' is a thrill and closer to the real thing.

Now I think that games without using the map should remain Special Club games, not become a general rule. Most of the maps are just too large to find one another.

So here's two 'NO MAP' Special Club games that can be played without using the map:

1. ANY CTA WITH ONLY ONE AIRFIELD.

2. 'DEFEND LOCATION XYZ'. Any dogfight or teambattle with the special mission objective to defend a specified airspace. That means that the place of the action has to be clearly defined and easily recognizable, and that all pilots seek to defend the airspace there against the enemy. Suitable locations for a 'Defend location XYZA' Special Club game: Lake Lentini; Catania Airfield; Berlin Tempelhof Airfield; and, any single airfield CTA can be played as a 'Defend location XYZ' teambattle, meaning that no one is supposed to land and all the action is to take place in the sky only.

Before starting such a game, it is important that all players understand and agree that this game is a 'NO MAP' game and will not use their maps during the game. Only exception of course is when in respawning the map is displayed.

Hope we'll all have lots of fun with these new special games!

See you in the skies soon!

MAC

Last edited by MACADEMIC; 06-19-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Approved Member

Well. Maybe its time to get back on and join in.

I like the Fox and Hound round. Cant wait to play!