Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:02 AM
fox3

Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 AM
Approved Member

Why does it look like crafp now. Aliasing, pop up trees, dumbed down textures, streaky sky, rubic's cube textures. Every "improvement" since the first release has made the graphics worse. I was really happy two releases ago. As soon as I praised it in this forum, the screwed around with the graphics quality in two successive patches that not only made it look like hell it actually slowed my FR down.
There are video options settings for people who won't upgrade their crummy machines.
Why does the rest of the world have to suffer for their poor performance?
Quit yer Bi chin and go mow lawns or something for a new vid card.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox3 View Post
yeah, those old games bring back memories ..

.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
========================================
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-
========================================
Old 07-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Approved Member

Comparing CloD and RoF IMO is quite pointless to be honest.

Yes RoF runs better.
But CloD visually got much better ground details, plane details, lights shadows etc etc. Plus the flight models and all the other stuff that we don't actually see working on the background. (They are still working on it)

People shout stop pointing only to the down points, and actually watch the good ones.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Not to derail the thread further, but I think the problems with the game are half coding and half being ahead of its time, if you look at the scale of the map and all the details...
I more or less agree

Quote:
When it runs as well as Rise of flight then maybe.
When the same amount of money and time has been poured into the project, it could very well do run that well.

Honest question, where you around for the launch of that one? I was and i didn't buy it because of the online requirement, but kept following it in case they dropped it. They didn't and i moved on with other things, but i have a very clear memory of how things went during the first year or so after its release because i was following the news.

So, do you know how long it took to get RoF to the standard you are familiar with now? 18 months.

That's for a sim with a constant revenue stream due to the business model chosen and much lower demands on behalf of the engine:

-planes not rendering further than 2km from you (no, not even dots, they were simply invisible outside that range to conserve resources)

-an empty frontline where artillery shells explode on non-existent targets after being fired from non-existent guns (in other words, scripted events to spice things up)

-an inability to handle more than 200 or so objects in a single mission...trying to run a mission on a ROF server similar to the CoD ones used on ATAG was simply no go, the whole thing crashed

-all aircraft mounted guns having the same ballistic characteristics, it made no difference if you were firing spandaus or Lewis guns, the bullets, muzzle velocities, effect on DM were all the same.

and so on.

I remember all the complaints about the long distance ground textures turning low detail, the bad multi-core optimization, anti-aliasing not working, crashed to desktop, slow progress of updates and patches, etc etc etc.

Does it sound familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKUD View Post
Why does it look like crafp now. Aliasing, pop up trees, dumbed down textures, streaky sky, rubic's cube textures. Every "improvement" since the first release has made the graphics worse. I was really happy two releases ago. As soon as I praised it in this forum, the screwed around with the graphics quality in two successive patches that not only made it look like hell it actually slowed my FR down.
There are video options settings for people who won't upgrade their crummy machines.
Why does the rest of the world have to suffer for their poor performance?
Quit yer Bi chin and go mow lawns or something for a new vid card.
Options, yes. Elitism, no. Respect other users and mind your language, at least until you decide to start paying for their upgrades. Then you have grounds to complain if they don't upgrade their PCs

Also, to everyone else, keep the thread on topic. This thread is to discuss what you like about CoD and give some examples (stories/after action reports, screenshots, etc). If you want to talk about the things you don't like, open a new thread. It's not like someone is preventing you from creating new topics. If you keep derailing this one, posts will be moved/deleted.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Approved Member

yes this game is sweet. TY for the shots

Sometimes it helps to remember just how awesome it is

that hurricane looks it was undergoing engine repair in the HMS Elizabeth (you know the the mega airship aircraft carrier with triple runways and two cross over runways using American Helium. ) and it got bumped out of the hanger bay and fell out the back during uber turbulence.

yeah for those complaining about the ROF, man don't you know ROF is the new 1946.

It is the spiritual and literal successor to Il-2 1946, so its right to make comparisons. Because if ya ain't doing it right, ya ain't doin it wrong, so this is why they keep singing the ROF song.

Doesn't matter if apples or oranges grow on different trees, they don't taste the same, and the method of accessing the edible part is unique to each fruit, because the orange is the new apple or the apple the new orange, you can compare them.

Because both games have props, both use piston engine airplanes, they've got machine guns, so its the same.

Shoot man, in the simhq forums they're (ROF fans) are even saying the ROF engine is better for the A-10 then DCS'
Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Approved Member

Anyway, back on topic.

Here's a few more raw and untouched screenshots. This time, we see a Blenheim attacking a Me 109 Amazing optimism with a single machine gun. (Both aircraft AI)

Out of the sun...!!!

I remember with il2 1946 when making co-ops, that the AI Blenheim would become a fighter after dropping it's bombs.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:21 PM
fox3

But you can fly though the trees.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
But you can fly though the trees.

If RoF is so good fox3 piss off and play it instead of bringing your trolling behaviour over here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 PM
fox3

Hmmm think i may of hit a nerve.