Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladious View Post
Help, i am about to give up on the game =( been playing for 16hours now.. just got Mastiff.. getting clear of the Automated Turret towards Elio took me 4hours =X

trying to find Matt Hander now, but every single red ships i encounter blasts me to hell..

I feel that this shouldn't be the case..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
What? 4 hours? It can be done in 15 - 20 minutes. The first line of turrets you just fly through, the second line you just kill those two turrets blocking your way, then you kill those scavangers and head to the portal. You can also visit the local smuggler's base to buy some nice equipment.

Regarding redships killing you I am affraid there is not much to help. Try easier difficulty or equip your ships properly.

Last edited by Killer; 03-16-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
What? 4 hours? It can be done in 15 - 20 minutes. The first line of turrets you just fly through, the second line you just kill those two turrets blocking your way, then you kill those scavangers and head to the portal. You can also visit the local smuggler's base to buy some nice equipment.

Regarding redships killing you I am affraid there is not much to help. Try easier difficulty or equip your ships properly.
kk i got past that part =) i have no idea why but once i switch Ternie to control Mastiff and my hero(pilot perk) to control fighter, it worked.

currently trying to get past the 3 groups of guards guarding a mothership(think its Astarte). 8th attempt now. I have to follow the borders of the map and crawl my way towards it but i can't avoid the 3 groups of guards. I equip my ship with the "best" i can find.

I am doing the storyline quests only, don't know how to find the "mini quests".
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
kk i got past that part =) i have no idea why but once i switch Ternie to control Mastiff and my hero(pilot perk) to control fighter, it worked.

currently trying to get past the 3 groups of guards guarding a mothership(think its Astarte). 8th attempt now. I have to follow the borders of the map and crawl my way towards it but i can't avoid the 3 groups of guards. I equip my ship with the "best" i can find.

I am doing the storyline quests only, don't know how to find the "mini quests".
Well by now you should have three pilots. Put all of them to a fighter. Putting anyone to MS is a total waste of resources. Try to get all of them at least 3rd generation fighter. Last time I did it I had two 3rd gen (Jaguar and Tiger) and one 4th gen fighter (Panther).
Put a Kali and a Thungsten to your MS together with a system firmware Mk.3 and use it as a tank.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

yeah i have 2 fighters now. only second gen, Raptor and Stormcrow. And yeah i gave up trying to get past the 3 groups of guards, will try to get that setup u mentioned.

So my MS will have no pilot. and i should try to get 3x 3rd gen fighters.

I checked out the Kali and Thunsten, they are costly.. and the firmware costs about 300k too. Where should i be making money?

ps: Decided to go for it 1 more try =p i managed to get into the docking facilities and got some mercenaries. hehe! won the astarte woohoo! but still.. how do i make money to afford those 3rd gen and above ships..?

Last edited by ladious; 03-16-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Approved Member

Except of missions, there is only one way to make money. From loot. Search every sector and kill as many pirates as possible. It is also good to check those hidden cashes, there are really nice drops there.
I do not use mercenaries as they take away valuable XP which would my pilots get.

Last edited by Killer; 03-16-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, one of the biggest dissapointments is the mercenary system. For a rediculous sum of money you get an utterly useless squad of mercs (who, in my experiance, usually get themselves killed at the very beginning of the mission) and generally their only purpose seems to be leeching your experiance and hard-earned cash.

The only time I ever used mercs was the final mission, when you need every last ounce of firepower and it is not like money will have any use to you after the final mission.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Yes I agree I guess I should of read about this game more and how hard the missions are. All the missions are is hey, lets throw 5 to 1 odds against the Player and call it hard. Thats not hard thats early 1990s garbage ai. Its that simple.

This game is not hard, its stupid. Hard is when you are forced to use your head.

In this game its nothing more then reload, reload hope get lucky this time. Reload maybe this time. Reload oh finally.

Now onto the next gate.. Reload. Reload Reload Reload Reload. Oh finally yeah Next gate. Reload reload.

Dumb. Sorry SW3 sucks.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

well yeah... it's really a pity, one would think they would take *every single* good point of SW2 and carry it over to SW3 - but no. No side missions to speak of. Almost unreachable higher XP perks. And worst of it all: gorgeous graphics (the planet backgrounds simply wow) in an interesting universe (just read all the star chart system descriptions, interesting universe, would have made for a novel!) but it feels void. Even the side missions of X3 seem appealing compared to this.

Yet I like the game. But it is not finished if you ask me. Unbalanced. No gameplay progress compared to parts 1 + 2.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

So my MS will have no pilot. and i should try to get 3x 3rd gen fighters.

I checked out the Kali and Thunsten, they are costly.. and the firmware costs about 300k too. Where should i be making money?

ps: Decided to go for it 1 more try =p i managed to get into the docking facilities and got some mercenaries. hehe! won the astarte woohoo! but still.. how do i make money to afford those 3rd gen and above ships..?
as was already said before: between storyline missions - go - hunt - for - treasure !
Do not refrain from taking advice from this Board (see "hidden chache" thread), as there are some nice things several 100k worth per find. I got two lvl4 and one lvl5 fighters that way and *all* the gun equipment on my freshly repainted Mastiff. Now I hunt for pirate bases - not just their fleets of fighters. And the likes of "Get the Astarte" mission or similar are almost too easy - you can eradicate every last fighter in the X system easily, I did not even have repair systems and faced down all mercenaries guarding my new baby. Equipment and fighters is everything, you will wipe out Debris system in no time - I just wish there were more side missions for XP.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Trucidation

I enjoyed the first game, so I sorta knew what I was in for. Still, I admit it could use quite a bit more polish, like the free time missions actually *giving* you free time instead of triggering the next storyline mission the second you jump into a new sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkuth View Post
Yes I agree I guess I should of read about this game more and how hard the missions are. All the missions are is hey, lets throw 5 to 1 odds against the Player and call it hard. Thats not hard thats early 1990s garbage ai. Its that simple.
They're supposed to be cannon fodder. Plus, the game doesn't do this right off the bat, it only picks up after you've traded your mothership for that Mastiff. Yes, it ramps up quite a bit suddenly there but there IS some preparation time available, unless you followed the script without taking a break, and I do admit the script doesn't make it clear you don't have to go go go now now now.

If even these throwaway guys are giving you trouble that should have signalled to you that you need a break to skill up and get better gear.

Quote:
This game is not hard, its stupid. Hard is when you are forced to use your head.
Nope, stupid is like those racing games where it takes like 10 laps just to overtake each AI car, and the moment you make one mistake everybody overtakes you instantly and it takes forever to regain your previous spot. Plus there's nothing you can do to get around it, you either win the race or repeat it. THAT is stupid.

SW3 doesn't gimp you like that. You should fly around and explore a bit instead of rushing through the story. And pay attention to the pilot skills, they are skill trees for a reason, instead of automatically giving you skill X when you reach level Y. (I.e. use your head).

There's no pass/die unless you're right in the middle of a mission arc - which you can back out of with an earlier save. With what you've learned, take the time out to get better gear and improve your pilots.

Quote:
In this game its nothing more then reload, reload hope get lucky this time. Reload maybe this time. Reload oh finally.
Whenever I need to start reloading a bunch of times in any game, that right there is a red flag telling me I need to start doing things differently. Why didn't it occur to you to change your ships' loadouts? Or take a break and stop following the mission script for a while? Or, hell, just admit you probably screwed up and reload earlier and try a different choice?

If occasionally someone gets blown up but everybody else is unscratched, that's bad luck - one reload and it shouldn't happen again. But if you're constantly reloading, pay some freaking attention to your team. Sometimes you've simply just gone ahead too far, so man up and admit you made a mistake, go load an earlier save. That way you learn something instead of blindly reloading until you pass through sheer luck.

Again I repeat the game script is rather unforgiving and does not make it clear at all you do NOT have to do things right away. Yes, that is a design issue they need to address. But it's not like there aren't workarounds. It's not a linear game which doesn't let you deviate from the mission script.

I got creamed in Dionysus the first time I played. Loaded an earlier save, changed my ships setups, and I got through it. Gives you a sense of pride in your team, unlike all the pussy games out there nowadays which are piss easy and finishable in like 10 hours. Bah.

From the title you'd think this was NES Ninja Gaiden grade hard. Far from it.