Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Tips and Hints

Tips and Hints Different solutions, tips and hints.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Approved Member

Post some questions

I have a lvl. 8 paladin and some question. It's the first time I play this game. So:

I. My army is made of Priests, Bowmen, Bears, Swordsmen and Royal Snakes (but I could only find one place to buy them and it only had 60 snakes!). What should I change?

II. Money. I have around 120k, but al my army costs around 30k, so I don't think it's much. How can I find more money?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Approved Member

Hey, msp and welcome to the forums.

First of all: there is no perfect army :> Play around with different setups of what is available to you and you'll find what best suits your playstyle and the enemy army you're facing.

But there are of course troops that aren't very effective in whatever setup they're in. Swordsmen belong to that group of general fails ^^
About the Royal Snakes: you'll come across more places where you can hire them most likely. Usually in my games I find at least 3 places that hire out RS, though some of them may be late in the game. You do know that what troops are to hire at any place is entirely random (except several exceptions) ? So don't bother asking where to hire more of whatever.

The key to having the troops you want is to avoid casualties much as you can. Make use of resurrection and bring back whatever you can (with the right tools and strategies you can bring back everything, except extinguished stacks).

As for your second question: you're finding enough money. Unless you lose almost your entire army in battles constantly (or even get wiped) you should do fine, even on hard. The one thing that is available in abundance in this game is gold (and mind runes, lolol).

Avoiding losses is the key to both your questions.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
Hey, msp and welcome to the forums.

Thank you!

First of all: there is no perfect army :>

Of course I didn't asked for a perfect one. Just a good one.

Swordsmen belong to that group of general fails ^^

Really? I tought they were good... Should I try Guardsmen? Or what?

The key to having the troops you want is to avoid casualties much as you can. Make use of resurrection and bring back whatever you can (with the right tools and strategies you can bring back everything, except extinguished stacks).
With this, I think you tell me to use inquisitors. (Is there a resurrection spell?)

Avoiding losses is the key to both your questions.

Another question: what are the friendly gremlin towers? I don't think I saw them...
Old 08-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp View Post
I have a lvl. 8 paladin and some question. It's the first time I play this game. So:

I. My army is made of Priests, Bowmen, Bears, Swordsmen and Royal Snakes (but I could only find one place to buy them and it only had 60 snakes!). What should I change?

II. Money. I have around 120k, but al my army costs around 30k, so I don't think it's much. How can I find more money?
1) Personal preference, I'd drop the bears and try to replace the swordsmen with guardsmen. If you've found any, some horsemen and/or knights would be good (you usually find a small number on the first continent). If you've made it to the Western and Eastern Islands, try to get some dwarven canoneers to replace the bowmen.

As Vulture stated, there are a lot of options for troops, and everyone has their favorites. Generally, the higher level troops are better than lower level for survivability and special abilities. Lower level troops - if you can keep them alive - generally deal out more damage due to the sheer number of them you can recruit.

While it's true that many troop placements are random, some are predictable. For instance, there are a couple castles in the Marshan Swamp that almost always have royal snakes after you complete some quests. You'll likely also find some beholders, which are pretty good mid-game ranged units.

2) Gold will not be a problem. Once you start travelling to other continents, you'll find the gold rewards (and the strength of enemy stacks) go up noticeably. I loaded an old save and at 28th level I had over 5 million gold (normal difficulty).
Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Approved Member

I completely forgot - get inquisitors when you can. They have a couple very useful abilities (resurrection and mana boost). Combined with the spell gift they may be the single most useful unit in the game, though a bit fragile in the late game.

There is a resurrection spell. You should have started the game with a scroll of it. If you've already used the scroll, you'll have to hope you can find another. If/when you have the scroll, be sure to scribe it into your spellbook. Keep in mind that the level of troops it affects is dependent on your Order spell skill. Level 1 Order, Resurrection affects level 1-2 units. Level 2 Order = level 1-3 units, Level 3 Order = level 1-4 units. The spell does not affect level 5 units, but other things can.

Not sure what you mean by friendly gremlin towers...the only gremlin towers I know of are from suppressing and upgrading items. Brown gremlins tend to summon enemies and cast beneficial spells for their side. Red gremlins tend to cast offensive spells against your troops.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Whiskers View Post
Not sure what you mean by friendly gremlin towers...the only gremlin towers I know of are from suppressing and upgrading items. Brown gremlins tend to summon enemies and cast beneficial spells for their side. Red gremlins tend to cast offensive spells against your troops.
I've read somewhere about them... green gremlin towers?

Also thanks for the tips.

Last edited by msp; 08-14-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 AM
Approved Member

The brown gremlis are "Friendly Gremlin"s. That's just their unit name. They only summon, buff and ress their own mates but cannot cast nor damage your troops while the red ones "Evil Gremlin"s can only cast offensive spells like pygmy, sheep and lightning strike.

As for the troops, as stated, it depends strongly on who you're facing, what you have available in decent numbers and what strategy you pursue. There is also no "good" setup ^^ At least not in general. For example an army that heavily relies on ancient vampires tanking and refilling themselves through life drain and for example 2 ranged units using bows (like bowmen and hunters for isntance) will face serious trouble facing an undead army. Vampires won't be able to drain life and undeads only take 50% arrow damage.

I hope this example explains why there is no general "good" army whatsoever. Play around, try, adapt and search the forums for setup tips. This subject has been chewed bland.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Approved Member

Ok, so I'm going to Freedom Islands (level 9) and my army is made of:
Bowmen (until I find canoneers)
Inquisitors
Guardsmen
Royal Snakes
Ancient Bear
Old 08-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Approved Member

Sounds good, in all honesty I quite like Archers, the fire and ice arrows they have are excellent, where as I was never keen on Cannoneers. I'd try to find some Beholders if you want a nice ranged unit, Evil Beholders are even better.

Try to find a big level 5 unit, something with a lot of HP, they can be really nice for taking a lot of punishment without dying. A dragon or two would be an excellent choice, but anything big would do.

Daniel.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1darklord View Post
Sounds good, in all honesty I quite like Archers, the fire and ice arrows they have are excellent, where as I was never keen on Cannoneers. I'd try to find some Beholders if you want a nice ranged unit, Evil Beholders are even better.

Try to find a big level 5 unit, something with a lot of HP, they can be really nice for taking a lot of punishment without dying. A dragon or two would be an excellent choice, but anything big would do.

Daniel.
I'll see what I can do, after I finish with Freedom Islands looting