Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Approved Member

Default Damm you Luther and youre Q6700 !

Just kidding its all my fault ! .... I saw he was using an Intel Q6700 Quad in the video last week and I went ahead and got one as an upgrade as I currently have an E5400 dual over clocked to 3.2ghz. I paid 95 pounds for a second hand one. I did a little more research however and realised that I could have got a Q6600 for quite a bit less 60ish second hand or maybe an E8400 for not much more.

Im on an Asus P5QL PRO .... what makes more sence for COD Dual or Quad ?

Any advice appreciated !

Last edited by kgwanchos; 02-11-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: misinterpretation of topic title !
Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgwanchos View Post
what makes more sence for COD Dual or Quad ?
Assuming it is written so that it uses 2 cores, I'd say 3 or more cores. That's 2 cores for the game and any additional core for the OS and other programmes to run in the background (Windows, drivers, Fraps, Ventrilo/Teamspeak, etc.).
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Any advice appreciated !
Wait until the game is released before spending money.
Wait for solid review and discussion on what hardware works best before buyng a product.
Research your intended purpose and any similar products before you make a mistake.
Look at current benchmarks, ranking guides, and product reviews before clicking "buy now".
Old 02-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Approved Member

fouls rush in where angels fear to tread.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Ok so I saw you he was using an Intel Q6700 Quad in the video last week and I went ahead and got one at an upgrade as I currently have an E5400 dual over clocked to 3.2ghz. I paid 95 pounds for a second hand one. I did a little more research however and realised that I could have got a Q6600 for quite a bit less 60ish second hand or maybe an E8400 for not much more.

Im on an Asus P5QL PRO .... what makes more sence for COD Dual or Quad ?

Any advice appreciated !

This isnt really rocket science. Just use your brain for a second.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorak View Post
Its worse than science, Its witchcraft
Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorak View Post
Hmmm just thought we where here to share knowledge and such and I dont know very much about Quads and Duals so I dont see the point in you wasting your time and mine to be unpleasent ....
Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Approved Member

More power is always better. Quad will always be better than Dual, 4 gig of ram will always be better than 2. If you feel the need to upgrade, RESEARCH. I upgraded 2 months ago and could not be happier. I built an entire new system and it runs great. Why? I asked my gaming buddies for advice and then made some tough choices. In the end I got a great rig for about $1200.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggit View Post
fouls rush in where angels fear to tread.
hee hee ..... dont remember saying I was a duck .... anyhow dont worry guys looks like this has just annoyed people so forget it .... I usually do research this stuff alot , I just ran a bit short on time this week.

Last edited by kgwanchos; 02-11-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Approved Member

Running a Q9550 stepping C1 on a Asus P5K deluxe. Originally 2.83ghz, overclocked on stock voltage to 3.9ghz. For an older Asus board it is an excellent performer, but a bit pricey for an old cpu. I guess because the darn thing performs so well and overclocks so easily. I hear fo guys getting 4.0 + with the E0 stepping.

I had a core 2 duo cpu back in 08 (it was a 2.66, I dont remember the cpu model number). I saw a dramitic jump in perfomance when I made the upgrade to the q9550.

I think it is best to wait on COD and see how everyone else is doing. I think we need to start a thread when the game come out just to report our system specs and note on how the game plays on it, just so people can take a look and see what makes sense for them with regards to upgrades.