Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolphe View Post

Perfect! There you go, thanks.. The MLG wheel is offset, leaving the majority of weight (fuselage) on the right side of the wheel, and the wing (which is obviously lighter than the fuselage) on the left side of the wheel. To tip over, the torque applied from the wing gravity must be greater than that of the entire plane body and is why it hasn't tipped over. My conclusion..

But this is getting off relevance to the initial post..

IL-2 CoD has simplified physics, and you know it
Old 02-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Approved Member

The fuselage weighs a lot more than the wings. I think thats the reason for these wing up pics (RL and CoD).

Think of it as looking at a beached yacht.. all the weight is at the bottom, the wing would have generated some lift right up until the point the aircraft stopped moving too which may account for why the plane came to rest there like that (I'm ignoring the fact that it's not 'real' btw).
Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede View Post
The spit?

I hope you check your eyes before release mate.

Hey... sorry about my blasphemy ... I was posting while seeing many pics on other tabs and got confused in the end.

maybe the missing wing was from a spit... you can never know...

So how that... Typhoon got there?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Approved Member

Oleg talked about this picture in the forum, and the spit just made a bad take-off and spun at the end of the runway...Somebody had complained then that it was impossible for the plane to be there because of the nearby tree.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Approved Member

Seriously..... what's up with the aircraft manufacturer and model type mistakes in this thread... next thing you know it's the mosquito
Old 02-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Approved Member

Thankyou Bricks and Rodolphe for posting photos. I think we can say for sure that the weight distribution in real life is much higher in the fuselage than the wings, which means that these kind of raised-wing wrecks are not out of the ordinary.

Perhaps all CoD needs(assuming the collision damage model is similar to IL-2) is a bit of rotational damping on the fuselage to stop it from rolling around so much after it's come to a stop. That would simulate the effects of a 'flattened' fuselage, as seen in the photographs above. Both of the aircraft in my own screenshots reached that position after considerable rocking back and forth, which makes them look a bit like toys, really.

Last edited by B25Mitch; 02-11-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike View Post
Born Luftpilot I presume...
Yeah, all of them answered the question ,,what shot you down?" by telling ,,Spitfire"
Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Approved Member

Mitch, If I'm not mistaken, CoD should implement changing CoG. However, if you look in one youtube video, you can see a Hurricane flying around with only one wing (after hitting a Fiat). Maybe weight distribution is not quite working at this point, or it will be "switched on" at a later point.

(skip to 4:45)
Old 02-11-2011, 08:29 PM
zipper

Yeah, I agree with OP ... BUT ... what-can-ya-do-about-it. CG shifts in 1946 are simple changes in trim, there isn't any active mass simulation, pretty sure our 'puters could cope with it, anyway. I'd just be happy if we had something approaching more realistic stalls in CoD, but, if not, I'll deal with it. (I'm almost certain we won't be any closer to groundlooping which would prove Mass modeling.)

Last edited by zipper; 02-11-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 PM
zipper

OMG - Play That Funky Music!?! What year is it in Russia now - LOL.