Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Cryostasis

Cryostasis First-person shooter meets survival horror set on a frozen Soviet ice-breaker trapped in the ice on the North Pole.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Approved Member

There was a discussion about this earlier,here is the(i think valid)answer:

methylbenzoate:
"PhysX is used heavily to render the water caustic effects.

The term caustic, as it pertains to the option in Cryostasis, can be defined as such:

The envelope of light rays reflected or refracted by a curved surface or object, or the projection of that envelope of rays on another surface.

If you look at the walls, before you "thaw" a room, you can see that they are coated with ice particles that glimmer and twinkle in the light. Once you start "thawing" a room from the heat of a lamp or other device, you can see water running down along the walls. It too changes the way light appears on the walls.

To sum it up, PhysX, as it is implemented in Cryostasis, controls much more than just the physical interaction of objects with the environment. PhysX controls the movement of all particles, lighting, and shadows in the game.

I added a 9800 GT to my computer for dedicated PhysX, and Cryostasis performs way better now that the GTX 295 does not have the strain of both 3D rendering and PhysX.

I'd recommend the same for ATI users, but you'll need Windows 7 in order to use heterogeneous VGA adapters - ATI 3D rendering + nvidia dedicated PhysX."