Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Robo, very helpful post. I have done flight planning with FSX, using a modern aeronautical map of southern England with ruler, protractor, old-fashioned wizz wheel flight computer. I then compared results by planning the same flights again with a computerized flight planner. Very instructive exercise.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo. View Post
Mind you that has been taken from my Tiger Moth flight as the compass is not hidden inconveniently behind your control stick like in a Spitfire or Hurricane. Mind you the visibility of the instrument was much much better in real life than it is in game.
Using JoyToKey is more easy check compass in Spit/Hurri than in real life (well I dont try this).

Just look down, press a key for "Hold to offset POV or something"... + POV HAT left.

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 11-19-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1 View Post
Using JoyToKey is more easy check compass in Spit/Hurri than in real life (well I dont try this).

Just look down, press a key for "Hold to offset POV or something"... + POV HAT left.

Sokol1
That is not a problem, I have TrackIR and can lean around the control coulmn alright - I ment more the fact that in a real Spitfire (or Hurricane) the compass was slightly offset to the left and more or less in the line of sight when flying normally, see here:

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/...5541&view=next
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notimejeff View Post
I have done flight planning with FSX, using a modern aeronautical map of southern England with ruler, protractor, old-fashioned wizz wheel flight computer. I then compared results by planning the same flights again with a computerized flight planner. Very instructive exercise.
That's the way to do it, Sir! Nice one. Thanks for your comment, I didn't realise I made a mistake in there.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
In other words, if you fly straight North as shown on your compass you are actually flying 350° geographic.
Hi. The magnetic declination is 10° West (or -10° with other words). The compass show -10° compared to map direction.
So, if you fly to 360° compass direction, you fly to 10° on the map. Not 350°!

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here
Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO101_Tom View Post
Hi. The magnetic declination is 10° West (or -10° with other words). The compass show -10° compared to map direction.
So, if you fly to 360° compass direction, you fly to 10° on the map. Not 350°!
Yes, that's what I thought, see post 7. Then I thought I made a mistake when reading jeffs post and 'fixed' it on the mission description without thinking too much (just woke up ) I thought he was saying same thing like me and I did wrong math somehow as I actually added 10 in one leg of my original post. Will edit it back and fix it to avoid confusion, cheers Tom.

Last edited by Robo.; 11-19-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yes, that's what I thought, see post 7. Then I thought I made a mistake when reading jeffs post and 'fixed' it on the mission description without thinking too much (just woke up ) I thought he was saying same thing like me and I did wrong math somehow as I actually added 10 in one leg of my original post. Will edit it back and fix it to avoid confusion, cheers Tom.
Ok

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Approved Member

What about wind direction and speed? 'Still air' navigation is easy.

But wind is not a navigational factor in the game.

Wind Finding anyone?

If a wind takes you one degree off track, after 60 miles you'll miss your target by one mile. After 60 kms you'll miss your target by one km.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB_Avro_UK View Post
What about wind direction and speed? 'Still air' navigation is easy.

But wind is not a navigational factor in the game.

Wind Finding anyone?

If a wind takes you one degree off track, after 60 miles you'll miss your target by one mile. After 60 kms you'll miss your target by one km.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.
Well the mission above is something for beginners, I mention that the wind is off to make things easier. I remember IvanK did some testing on speed and fuel consumption (iirc) and flew between Cap Grez Nes and Dungerness and he found there is some ambient wind on the Channel Map but I forgot what it was. It is possible to add some insanely strong wind in the mission, like in the default 'Cross Country' one. It is very interesting but I think that most players will be happy to set their compass and know what their HDG is at normal circumstances (= flying on ATAG)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Approved Member

i think bomber navigator should be able to use sextants with the sun and solve full problems with nautic almanachs of the time, it could be interesting for those who want to get into sailing

I PREFER TO LOVE WITHOUT BEING LOVED THAT NOT LOVE AT ALL