Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 12-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Approved Member

Question RAF planes - dealing with the RPM drop

Hello

Just been giving CoD a whirl, after installing the TF mod (again), because I fancied something slightly newer than IL2 1946 for a change.

Whilst practising I noticed in the Hurricane (haven't yet tried a Spitfire) each time I do anything but level flying the RPM drops out.

I'm aware of the reason for the RPM drop when I do any sort of manoeuvring, and how it was solved by "Miss Shilling's orifice".

However knowing that doesn't help me in CoD. (Or IL2 1946 for that matter if the same issue is modelled - I don't generally fly spits or hurricanes in IL2 1946!)

So...

...how do I deal with the RPM drop every time I do anything but fly level?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Approved Member

RPM drop happens when you push your nose down, which gives you negative g on your engine. And you just should/can not do that. You have to learn to fly your plane in a way it does not happen.

Afaik this is historically correct modeled and the circumstance was used by german pilots to evade (they would just push down pretty hard).

btw. did miss shillings orfice really solve the problem? I believe it just prevented the engine from dying but not the rpm-drop...?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continu0 View Post
You have to learn to fly your plane in a way it does not happen.
Yup. That's what I'm asking about. Any insights into how to fly in a way so that it does not happen?