Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Default HELP ~ LESSONS Needed

I appreciate that this forum is populated by ACES who love the game and have their own lingo but I need elementary Lessons.

Worked through the installation, learned by trial and error (lots of the latter) how to configure my system (e.g. COD does not like my two graphic cards running in Xfire which would radically help my low FPS issue but it does run in Dual Graphic mode with one GPU and the iGPU on the APU).

Played around with other settings in the game to improve FPS, I can get 20 something to 30 something depending on what is enabled and which screen resolution I use. (This is on a three screen array which is normally set to 4800x900 - at that resolution I get 12 or so FPS, needed to drop it to about 2500x600 to exceed 30). I also learned how to configure my TM T-Flight HOTAS X controls, and found out I can also add my Logitech gamepad as a secondary controller, I'm learning you can't have too many buttons in this game. Thinking this game is a great excuse to buy a gaming keyboard with more custom keys (any recommendations?)

Yes I did go through the training sessions on COD* but that only covered the very very basic elements of flight. I did encounter some Run time Error Codes on some of the training modals (pretending it was not there worked, hitting the ignore button - or any other button on the warning screen crashed the game). Anyway got through that speed bump. I also found that the training "rings" in the sky only appear in some of the sessions and not in all (most notable I could not pass my Solo flight because I could not see any rings). Anyway, that training is done, I can get off the ground (landing well that's another story) but I can fly the plane, more or less.

Eventually I found the manual (the box said it was on the DVD, it ain't) But it does not have enough information. I found much of it devoted to settings which are important. But found nothing on navigation or console commands or how to trim a plane I did learn how to use the map and that is great. And I've picked up tips here and there on line. Got rid of that dialogue box in the corner that was in such fine print (white small font) that I could not read it anyway (was it important because I now do not know how to bring it back?). Still have a small icon which shows my throttle position on the side screen, can't seem to find out how to get rid of that one, left and right clicked all over it, but no pop up config menu for it yet. Easily ignored.

But I need more lessons. The commander tells me to "Stay in formation" - what Formation? "Say on Course" what course and how do I read that compass anyway? Is there a way for the heading or direction to be displayed on the screen HUD style just like the FPS is displayed? Learned how to open the Console and I know ONE command: "fps SHOW START", I'm sure there are more, where is the Console list of commands?.

And I'm as guilty as the next guy for using acronyms but I'm out of my elements here. Do you guys have a glossary? What is FM & DM for example. The list goes on, lots of posts are greek to me because I can't figure out what you mean by your acronyms.

Maybe a folder called COD for Dummies (or Newbies if you prefer, Novices works). It looks like a great game and I am learning. Brought down a few bombers over the channel in one of the Missions, that was fun but I've got so much to learn.

But I really need Lessons?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Approved Member

Nice to see your interest in learn "fly" these WWII crates.

Quote:
But found nothing on navigation or console commands or how to trim a plane I did learn how to use the map and that is great. And I've picked up tips here and there on line. Got rid of that dialogue box in the corner that was in such fine print (white small font) that I could not read it anyway (was it important because I now do not know how to bring it back?). Still have a small icon which shows my throttle position on the side screen, can't seem to find out how to get rid of that one, left and right clicked all over it, but no pop up config menu for it yet. Easily ignored.
All text/graphical windows over game screen are possible edit or closed.
Be warned that a close text window dont be "called back", need to create a new with desired information.

Just press ALT and click in then with left mouse button, to select the window and with right mouse button to bring options menu, that are:

Customize
Close Windows

Quote:
Got rid of that dialogue box in the corner that was in such fine print (white small font) that I could not read it anyway (was it important because I now do not know how to bring it back?)
In customize you can change - among other things - size and color of fonts (some, like time, with ridiculously extensive list of color option...)

You can change these graphical engine slides to digital information if desire, or leave sliders and create new window that show the same info in digital form.
Can move any these windows for another place in screen.
Change transparency of windows, resize then...
Merge two or more windows...

Useful read: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...Dover-Tutorial

Quote:
Is there a way for the heading or direction to be displayed on the screen HUD style just like the FPS is displayed?
No, for default is not possible HUD HDG over screen a la IL-2 1946 - but possible with some script in offline mission.
You need learn read the Compass, Directional Gyro and the map.

Quote:
Learned how to open the Console and I know ONE command: "fps SHOW START", I'm sure there are more, where is the Console list of commands?.
Console commands beyond "fps SHOW START/END" and perhaps "mp_dotrange" related to icons - if you play with visible icons on screem - are not much useful for single player.
Anyway to see list of available open console and type "?" or "help".
To see more info about some command, ie "fps", type "help fps" or "? fps".

Some commands like "tod" (set time of day) apparently dont work. (Work fine in IL-2 1946).

Quote:
And I'm as guilty as the next guy for using acronyms but I'm out of my elements here. Do you guys have a glossary? What is FM & DM for example. The list goes on, lots of posts are greek to me because I can't figure out what you mean by your acronyms.
FM = means "flight model" related to how the game mimic real life plane performance - matter of heated and endless discussions since the first WWII simulator came, and special in IL-2 series.

DM = means "damage model" related on how planes are damaged from enemy fire, collision, engine management mistakes...

CEM = Complex Engine Management related to mimic real life procedures with engine, like control radiators, prop pitch, boost pressure... Feature exciting for some, hated by others who prefer the "hit and I slam throttle" formula.

Quote:
Maybe a folder called COD for Dummies (or Newbies if you prefer, Novices works). It looks like a great game and I am learning. Brought down a few bombers over the channel in one of the Missions, that was fun but I've got so much to learn.
As you know CLoD are rushed not finalized (perhaps in Alhpa stage?) - a long unhappy history - and producers support ended in last October, so many "players" from there (some have not bought the game...) lost interest and move away for another games or to haunt the announced BoS game forum.

I too see a need of some thing like "COD for Dummies", some demystification of CEM - one no need fiddle with mouse "as per Pilote Notes" for 10 minutes to start Spitfire/Hurricane engines like you see in Youtube from early days on CloD. I do this with only "Alt+I" and "I". A better and simplified manual (IMO - The one that came with game seems write for someone with "arcade" mind)... But perhaps too much for a small and dwindling community...

Actually the group that still show more interest in the game are the ATAG's, including planning do some nice things:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com

Quote:
But I really need Lessons?
I think that learn more about how fly these crates, CEM, navigation without this "GPS" on screen, helps to maintain interest on game... Recently I discover these "WWII era Flight Computers" like E6-B, DR-2 and find that I can use the in game.

I think that the best way is join to some online squadron. Again I suggest look at ATAG forum for active one.:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...cruitment-Area

Hope this help, sorry for some grin thoughts and perhaps lack or clarity, my English is not good.

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 02-13-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Default @ Sokol1

Thanks so much for taking the time to go through my long and rambling post.

I think maybe I need to find a copy of the 1946 version of the game, sound like it had some elements that this version does not. And my system should be more than able to play the older game at max settings. I'll watch for the next game out (Stalingrad right?) and see what PC specs they are looking for, my machine is now several months old, it will be totally obsolete by the end of the week given the speed of change in the PC world.

I do need to invest the time to learn to fly "these WWII crates" as you put it.

One thing I won't be able to do is join any on-line battles or the like. I live in rural Canada and on a good day, when the snow is not too heavy, I'm able to get my download speed up to 4 mps and upload at 1 mps. (Snow matters because I use a dish on my roof to bring in the internet signal) I'm afraid that does not compare to city dwellers who get 100x that rate or more. Took me several hours to load COD due to the download from Steam. (No more Steam games for this rural country fella).

I will check out this other forum you allude to. I now have three forums that have sections for COD to look through, this one seems to have the most posts. One I registered for a few days ago but still waiting to be authorized (SIM HQ at http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...over_Read_Only and another called simly IL-2 Stormovik Forum. http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/

Are there any others I should look in on? I also have several bookmarked for generic Flight SIM like Xplane and FlightSIM and a few more that deal more with modern civilian aircraft. I'm currently still learning to fly a modern Cessna in Xplane.

Thanks for the simple things, like FM & DM (you don't want to know what guesses I had for those terms, some of them impolite)

I did read about the CEM in the Manual, and that is way way down on my list of things I want to learn how to do. Pressing "I" is much simpler. And I'm not excited by the prospect of adjusting the mixture or the radiator.

I do need to learn how to navigate, use the compass (I did find a Youtube on that but need to rewatch it, I still don't get it.). But at least I know that it is not s simple thing like press this button and our bearings and direction will magically appear on the screen. The XPlane Cessna is much easier to set your bearings and know your direction.

I also need to learn more about this TRIM thing. Sounds like it will make flying a lot easier.

And BTW your English is just fine.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Default @ Sokol1 - one more thing....

You wrote: "Recently I discover these "WWII era Flight Computers" like E6-B, DR-2 and find that I can use the in game" Can you explain that a little more. I think I want to know what you are talking about.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Approved Member

Is about this - use some translator:

http://www.pumaszallas.hu/elmeleti-a...szamitasa.html

http://www.pumaszallas.hu/elmeleti-a...sh-verzio.html

Sokol1