Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Armored Princess > Tactics discussions and solutions

Tactics discussions and solutions All you need to win the battle.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Approved Member

Talking marauders: a good unit on impossible mode

I hired some marauders in Debir and was very impressed by its search ability. They can search corpses twice and generate about 600~700 gold in each battle , which helps a lot on impossible mode.

Compared to guardsmen, marauder is a little weak but have an ability to attack one space away from the enemy, which is really useful since I am trying to achieve no casualty. The downside is the morale of priests is lowered by the robber property, but it's not a big deal to me.

Please excuse me if everyone knows this already. I am really thrilled by this game. After the disappointing Heroes of Might and Magic IV and the end of 3DO, I gave up on this kind of strategy game. I never tried HOMM V since I heard it's made by some Russian company. I have to admitted that I was biased toward PC game companies in Europe and I am glad that I was wrong. I still don't like the storyline and dialogue of armored princess but I enjoyed the tactics part a lot.

Should I give HOMM V a try? Any comment is appreciated.

By the way, some posts said trap is a good spell. Could someone tell me the reason? I just started the game recently and now I am at the second island. Being a hardcore strategy fan, I am proud (or stupid) to start my first game on impossible mode.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Approved Member

Depends on if u have money problems, but in my case i never had money problems on impossible so marauders are useless for me. And for a low level stack unit, royal snakes are faaar better than marauders. Trap is good for maintain the enemy in place, but sometimes (and on impossible mode almost all the times) the enemy will evade the trap taking another way, so u can use the trap to mark the path u want the enemy troop to make. But I played a lot impossible matches, and i never use trap anymore, maybe sometimes (i did an abuse of trap spell some games a go only for raising the trap medal). But there are a lot of powerfull spells, not only trap.

About HOMM V, its not a bad game if u played it 6 - 8 years ago, but nowadays i really dont recommend it to anyone. I looked at it some days ago and the graphic quality is just horrible (as logical so u cant use high resolutions), and the fight system almost the same. The good thing is that u can hire a lot of races/factions, but the bad graphic quality makes that u cant stand in front of the screen more than 10 minutes.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Approved Member

HOMM V is on my hard disk only because of multiplayer/hot-seat mode.
Apart from that, KB is superior in almost any aspect
Old 05-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the detailed replies. I am relieved to hear that money is not going to be a problem later.

N3MES1S, you are right about royal snakes. They are very good and form my first line of defense. (The only complain I have is why they don't have 9 heads) I used marauders to replace guardsmen because I want to avoid casualty. I hesitated when I made the decision since I was not sure whether it's worth the cost. But it proved to be a good investment and I am going to keep marauders in the army for a longer time.

And thanks for the comments about HOMM V. I will stick with armored princess then. I am just missing 3DO and Strategic Simulations Inc.

p.s. For members here never try marauder's search ability. Here's some information. After one typical battle in Debir, the prize was about 150 golds, two chests dig offered about 100~500 golds or some scroll, and marauders found about 600~700 golds. (Sorry I can't be more accurate because I have the game at home.)

Last edited by Jun006; 05-25-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

mauraders die easily later on

but i gues u ain't going for a no casualty so should be fine

and about homm5 it's a great game

mostly because it got a nice mp feat
u can battle your strats vs other players

kb:ap is gonna get boring after some time when u know u can beat all with ease and have no more challenge

homm5 got a nice story line though
Old 05-26-2010, 02:14 AM
Approved Member

Homm5 is at least more VISUALLY impressive. It's not a bad game either, just not as solid on the mechanics as KBAP is.

As for Marauders... I think you will realize like most people do, that the money they make from looting corpses ends up not comparing to the extra money you pay to replace the losses for them. And then You'll get Demonologists, dragons, or Beholders or something, and never switch back.

Trap is good because it can 'negate' the turn of an opposing unit if used correctly, and on certain choke-pointy battle arenas can slow down a large number of enemies.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechnophobe View Post
Homm5 is at least more VISUALLY impressive. It's not a bad game either, just not as solid on the mechanics as KBAP is.

As for Marauders... I think you will realize like most people do, that the money they make from looting corpses ends up not comparing to the extra money you pay to replace the losses for them. And then You'll get Demonologists, dragons, or Beholders or something, and never switch back.

Trap is good because it can 'negate' the turn of an opposing unit if used correctly, and on certain choke-pointy battle arenas can slow down a large number of enemies.
WTF????

more visually impressive??? lol. u should be talking about another game. I played HOMM V 2 weeks ago and the graphics are really really bad. The thing is, if u have an old monitor that only supports lower resolutions, maybe the graphics are not too bad for you. But i dont see the sense on playing HOMM V, even with the multiplayer (btw the online mode is almost killed). If u have AP, u can try HOMM V, but i dont see the point.

About trap, if u raise its level to 3, and have good intellect, traps are awesome, but u need to raise it to the maximum level, if not, on higher levels the only thing that trap do is to slow the enemy, but the damage is useless.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3MES1S View Post
WTF????

more visually impressive??? lol. u should be talking about another game. I played HOMM V 2 weeks ago and the graphics are really really bad. The thing is, if u have an old monitor that only supports lower resolutions, maybe the graphics are not too bad for you. But i dont see the sense on playing HOMM V, even with the multiplayer (btw the online mode is almost killed). If u have AP, u can try HOMM V, but i dont see the point.

About trap, if u raise its level to 3, and have good intellect, traps are awesome, but u need to raise it to the maximum level, if not, on higher levels the only thing that trap do is to slow the enemy, but the damage is useless.
Well, HoMM V most definitely have much better unit death animations. And the town fly-by camera (plus those town music) are awesome when you first started playing.

I won't compare HoMM V to KB - IMO they are focusing on different area. I have Civilization V + Beyond the Sword (only for playing Fall from Heaven 2 mod), HoMMV plus its two expansions, plus KB:AP installed. They are different types of strategy games and each serve their purposes well.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

This is not topic about HOMM V vs KB. Tt was discussed many times already.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Approved Member

Better unit death animations??? lol... well if u say so. A 7 frames animations on hoom v.. AP is far better in all aspects.

JUN006, now u are using royal snakes and marauders, but on later islands u will discard marauders for sure (they are useless on later islands) and royal snakes are better, but maybe u will discard em too for a better level 4 unit.