Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

I find myself a little disappointed with the game. I do not regret buying it, but it feels a lot like additional content to SW1 & SW2 rather than an entire new game. I feel the developers dropped the ball when it comes to evolving the game into something truely great and not just great.

My thoughts on improvements and the potential of the game series:

1. As mentioned above, I really like the idea of having a pilot and a gunner for the mothership. I really wonder why the removed this.

2. Maybe this is me being stupid, but is there an option to save you figher settings. I mean I wonder how many times I have gathered the recently released fighters as a team and set myself as the repairman. You really should have an option of saving the settings.

3. Sometimes while playing the game I just got the feeling the developers forced me down a part. This ruin the feeling of this beeing and open and "free" universe where you can go wherever you want to as long as you have the firepower. An example, after having exited the system where my tradeships where made into shrapnel I get chased by MSF pilot. Ok so far. however, if you try to run towards an exit or station it goes to a cutscene and your ship is shown beeing bombardet and destroyed. Grayhair mentioned he could fix if he docked, however it took some time before I relized he did not mean to dock at a station but with the mothership. But the cutscene solution was weak. I would be ok with it if they send 50 fighers against me and force me to change the id before they arrived, but just going to a cutscene was a bad solution. IMHO.

4.Random events. There where a few, but way to few. It can not be that hard to add? And in my first playthrough I got some missions I never got in the second and vice versa. Maybe they were not few but I went to the wrong places.

5. This related to #4 and has been mentioned by other posters. To little freelancing work. If you where short on money in this game you pretty much had to go chasing pirates which is pretty boring in the long run. Of course you could do some of the main missions but I like taking my time and honing my skills before a play (and progress) the main elements of the game. There are options the developers have here (and why did the not build upon this from SW2?)
Ideas:
-The patrol stations could give you missions to take out pirates or patrol an area.
-Trade stations could be full of traders willing to pay you a king ransom to bring them to their destination.
-You yourself could bring cargo somewhere. Included here should be passengers who could pay you to arrive safely at their destination.
-Again, maybe this is something you can do, but I never discovered; you often get a newfeed. A really nice touch, but is the information pretty much useless? This could be a way of giving the player mission. Not directly, but at least hint to something being up in some system and giving the player the opportunity to go there and explore.

6. The firmware was a nice touch but not well taken care of. Not only was it very little intuitive, but you should have more options, and you could at least at a person you could talk to about the firmware and not just a machine.

Modifying you (mother)ships should be easier. You could for example add systems which you could put in a turretslot but it actually enhanced the engine. (I love having a fast mothership). And a minor thing, I would love to choose my own colour. At least of the mothership, but also on my fighters.

7. I must have killed thousand of pirated and others during my time of playing the SW series. However, I am rarely acknowledged or hated for my actions. How about a ranking system for merceneries who have killed pirates. (Yes, this is a rip off of Space Rangers), or you could check the bounties available and find yourself on the top for having killed to many MSF-fighters.

My favourite game of all times would probably be a mix of Space Rangers and Star Wolves. The main story, graphics and fights from Star Wolves, and the rest would be Space Rangers..
Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
but is the information pretty much useless?
There are occasional events in the galaxy map that are reported... For example, the news reports that the Imperial army has posted defense drones at every jumpgate, which explains why suddenly theres drones at every gate you visit now.

The news also reports other events like systems being taken control of and such.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Approved Member

well, it's my first time ever to try a starwolf, and i'm now stuck in the middle of a mission, but i still wish:

1 when a fighter is docking, the mother ship should not come to a complete stand still, at lease make that upgradeable by maintenance station or something

2 in flight group should stick together when jumping through a stargate(as per "Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements")

3 i prefer to keep some fighters in bay before going into a combat, so i can disignate which fighter always out, which always in would be superb.

4 a hotkey to mothership bay, for convenience sake.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsavo View Post
3 i prefer to keep some fighters in bay before going into a combat, so i can disignate which fighter always out, which always in would be superb.
The game does not tell you this, but look at the pilot icons of your docked fighters, you should notice a button that has two downward facing arrows. Clicking on that will launch that fighter and only that fighter.

Quote:
in flight group should stick together when jumping through a stargate
That is a holdover from Star Wolves 1, when fighters were unable to jump through gates (although that rule has been violated in Star Wolves 2 and 3 so many times that it is pretty much retconned out of the universe). Although if anything I prefer having all my fighters docked before jumping into a fight, so that my mothership can absorb the initial missilespam and keep all my enemies distracted...

But than again, my mothership is a 12000 health, 7500 shield monster that can shrug off an entire fleet bearing down on it.

Last edited by Nanaki; 03-12-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaki View Post
The game does not tell you this, but look at the pilot icons of your docked fighters, you should notice a button that has two downward facing arrows. Clicking on that will launch that fighter and only that fighter.

That is a holdover from Star Wolves 1, when fighters were unable to jump through gates (although that rule has been violated in Star Wolves 2 and 3 so many times that it is pretty much retconned out of the universe). Although if anything I prefer having all my fighters docked before jumping into a fight, so that my mothership can absorb the initial missilespam and keep all my enemies distracted...

But than again, my mothership is a 12000 health, 7500 shield monster that can shrug off an entire fleet bearing down on it.
well, thanks for the tips, it is much better now, besides, "B" is the hot key for mothership bay, althouth there is no indication.

the other thing, i think i'm pretty early in the game, so the mothership is not so good in fighting. and, i always mount a better radar in one fighter, to save valuable system slots for mothership, so i need to keep the scout out as long as possible.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Approved Member

I would recommend visiting the hidden stash thread and visiting some of those hidden stashes. They can net you some pretty good mothership components including a shield generator and a repair system. I also recommend purchasing the MK3 System software since that gives the greatest improvement to your mothership's defenses
Old 03-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Wow, I have to say I agree with most of the things people have said so far but I'm a little surprised no one mentioned this one yet...

1) The absolute #1 thing I would change in an expansion/or new game is the way long distance travel is handled. For me there were few things in the game more annoying then the sudden "oops" leave now for your new mission or spend 20 min making your way across the entire game universe. There were times between missions where I didn't even have time to repair and rearm. There should be a way to fast travel at will between distant systems using the big system map. There could be restrictions on it like you have to pay if you aren't traveling for a mission or you have a chance to be ambushed by pirates/hostile forces for each system you cross but I think it would be a huge improvement especially especially with more freedom of missions and exploration rewards.

2) I know it's been said already but the being able to upgrade the mother ship in SW2 by training the crew was one of the best parts. I'd really like to see it back.

3) Either do some more work on the path finding or turn off collision damage because i'm tired of having my nice (expensive!!!) fighters explode when i haven't saved in forever because I'm not getting in any serious fights and they suddenly ram themselves into a freaking asteroid for no apparent reason.

Also I'd just like to say I see quite a few complaints on this forum, Personally I love this game. Yeah it has a few flaws but overall it's a lot of fun. Thank you to the developers and keep up the good work.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaki View Post
I would recommend visiting the hidden stash thread and visiting some of those hidden stashes. They can net you some pretty good mothership components including a shield generator and a repair system. I also recommend purchasing the MK3 System software since that gives the greatest improvement to your mothership's defenses
agree, restarted a hard one, totally out of cash
Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

You know, once I start reading all these suggestions it starts sounding a lot like the X-Beyond the Frontier series. But I really don't like that game's story, weapons, items, ships, etc. Star Wolves is a much more believable and interesting universe and I like having skill trees and different characters in my team.

Unfortunately both games share the same antiquated and immersion limiting system of small self contained zones with jump gates connecting them. If I have a feature request to add it would be to use something seamless like Freelancer. I want to feel like the world is connected and alive. The difference sectors right now are like independent games running and if you leave and come back the population will even reset! Terrible. There isn't much point to freeplay as it is because the universe is totally faked and dead. So many missions just spawn ships right out the void and make no attempts at realism.

My request would be to make the world more alive and seamless and stop making a game which is a feature poor and technically inferior version of the X-Series with a better setting and story. Obviously this needs better funding, etc - but it would at least be good to see some progress between new releases instead of just a rehash of different story elements and minor changes.

Oh, and sound! Please.. it is not just graphics which make a game. I could see a massive improvement by spending more time on sound effects, ambient backgrounds, music etc. And this would be so low cost to implement. License some good sound libraries and hire a sound engineer for a bit of work. Maybe swap out the sound engine for something more advanced and realistic. Something that doesn't stutter like mad during epic battles with lots of kinetic weapons.

Last edited by Binesi; 03-16-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

- double post please delete -

Last edited by Binesi; 03-16-2010 at 09:55 PM.