Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Armored Princess > Tactics discussions and solutions

Tactics discussions and solutions All you need to win the battle.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Approved Member

@Zhuangzi

I think the 2 dragons will be a really good addition. Using them will boost your battle alchemy medal. You should also be careful, since only the inquisitors can resurrect them (paladins ress only 1-4 level units).

Royal thorns spawned on 4 out of 7 playthroughs in the barbarian chieftain ship (the one who gives you the quest for his wife) on Bolo island. Still, you may not have been so lucky. As for the monetary problems, they will be a pain throughout the early game, at least until level 25 or so.

As for the fun, KBAP provides plenty of it. You will also notice that with all the rebalancing done, it is much easier to grasp and play without utilizing numerous exploits, as it was in KBTL.

Another thing you can do is to get the treasure searcher ability to 3 chests/2 altars or 3 chests/1 altar if possible (dunno if it was). Generally, there are 4-5 useful dragon skills, which as a warrior you should improve to the max in my opinion - Treasure Searcher (money FTW), Ball of Lightning (Acts as Reaper's soul drain ability, killing % of the stack), Mana accelerator (25 rage for 25 mana, great for phantoms), and battle rage (hits all units in an area with ASTRAL damage). Crushing blow and diving dragon are useful in the mid-game, but by the late game they go obsolete, as you will do little damage with those abilities. Lava flow and Mystic Egg are nice, but lava flow is fire damage and Mystic Egg takes a turn to hatch - and usually the AI targets it first.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, sell any wanderers' scroll you don't need in the early game. They will provide a nice amount of cash. If you were digging with the dragon regularly, you should have 3-4 from fights and a few from maps. Also hold on to the "Call Collosus" wanderers' scroll. You never know when you may need the extra level 5 unit's firepower

@Elwin

Well, you missed 2 fights (they also count to no-loss victories), a few gold coins, one random lvl 1 item, a training sword (+1 atk) and a buckler (+1 def). Generally, it's not much, but if you luck out with a +100 leadership belt, it is a nice boost in the early levels.

EDIT: On a side note - let's not forget that not only the trading skill is gone, but in KBTL the gold income on impossible was 60%. In KBAP it's 50%, which makes the things even more difficult. Now, play a mage and slap an Usurer's Ring on (+5 intellect - great!!! -30% gold income - EEEK!!) and see where will you go

Last edited by DGDobrev; 11-21-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:09 AM
Approved Member

Zhuangzi; the dragons will help a lot, especially if you have Target and Archmages Shield ability. However they really hurt your Royal Griffins Atk and Def due to low morale so you'll have to see if this balances out for you. (Maybe you'll find the King's Portrait on Verona ) BTW what day/time are you up to now? I want see if some early sneaking balances out or not in terms of mission time.

Elwin; did i read that right? A cyclops on Debir? In the Cave? I've never seen that before! The only level 5 unit i've ever seen on Debir or Scarlet islands is the green dragon on the pirate ship!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingoz View Post
Zhuangzi; the dragons will help a lot, especially if you have Target and Archmages Shield ability. However they really hurt your Royal Griffins Atk and Def due to low morale so you'll have to see if this balances out for you. (Maybe you'll find the King's Portrait on Verona ) BTW what day/time are you up to now? I want see if some early sneaking balances out or not in terms of mission time.

Elwin; did i read that right? A cyclops on Debir? In the Cave? I've never seen that before! The only level 5 unit i've ever seen on Debir or Scarlet islands is the green dragon on the pirate ship!
Yep, the dragons are helping but I can't find Target anywhere. The morale problem for the Royal Griffins does suck though, so I am not using the Dragons all the time. My biggest problem currently is that you can't resurrect or even heal Royal Thorns. How to keep them alive?

I can't find more than 4 Archmages either, which is odd. I am up to day 8 already which is okay because I'm going for zero losses, not speed/high score. 78 fights without loss now.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Approved Member

Yep i had to fight cyclop on debir in the cave ...
Old 11-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Approved Member

Well, Zhuangzi, as for the royal thorns, you either use sacrifice, or you don't use the royal thorns at all in battles vs. heroes. It is extremely irritating watching them die from a random hero's Flaming Arrow.

The key to doing no-loss victories is flexibility. The more flexible are your troops, the better your chances of doing so. This is why switching between Royals and Dragons (so that no penalty incurs) will greatly improve your flexibility.

As for the Archmagi, I found them in the early-game in Debir (mage tower, after you take a second stone of gods), the temple in Verona, the Mage tower in Verona and the Mage tower on the Elon continent (but I doubt you'll have that map yet). Keep your eyes peeled for some druids. If you manage to luck out with some, they will greatly add to your troops effectiveness. They are good as both summoners and rage-hoarders (because of their Necromancer-like 9-cell attack).
Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Approved Member

Those heroes spells irritating ... 3 int barbarian hero is doing more damage with flaming arrow than my 10 int mage wth destroyer ...
Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Approved Member

I've been reading a lot about how people are having trouble with enemies that are Very Strong and Lethal. To me, it's less about the overall leadership of the enemy stack, but more about the unit composition and whether the stack is hero-controlled. Then there is the issue of what spells that particular hero uses. If Ghost Blade, okay. If Geyser, not okay.

I was having terrible trouble with a Strong stack just then, because it had Assassins, Inquisitors and Archers, all of whom cause trouble for my no losses attempt. I just couldn't do it, so I took a look at Old Rotbox, who was listed as Lethal, instead. To my surprise, I was able to take him down quite easily even though he was stronger overall and also a hero.

Then I took on a Very Strong stack that I did so well against that I suffered no casualties. I don't mean no casualties after Resurrection, I mean the enemy did not touch my troops at all, even though the stack was Very Strong. Why? Because of the unit composition. 238 Guardsmen, 481 Wolves, 90 Inquisitors and 56 Paladins seems strong, but aside from the Inquisitors there are no ranged units. So I flamed the Inquisitors with my dragon, mopped up the Wolves easily and cast Slow on the Guardsmen and Paladins until I was ready for them. This is where Royal Snakes are vitally important and still, to my thinking, an absolutely vital unit due to the no retaliation. So I made mincemeat of the Guardsmen and Paladins.

This shows that it isn't so much about the overall rating of the enemy stack, and more about composition.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Approved Member

of course its true .. if they are slow melees they can be stronger and taken down easily ... but i find sometimes those numer way too high to kill them fast enough ..
lethal for warrior with pet dragon skills is not much problem .. lethat for mage is ... lethal indeed ... As i play mage and my bro a warior i have direct comparison ..
Old 11-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Approved Member

Zhuangzi, you hit the bulls eye with that analysis. To complement your example, there is a fight with a goblin hero that you must do in order to get one of the stones. That goblin hero has a swarm of ranged units - goblins and catapult goblins. They alone pose a wondrous threat... unless you have the target spell, or unless you already went to Elon and got some dryads.

With target on the paladins out of their shooting range, the losses are minimal, while your own ranged units take quick work at them. With dryads + phantom and ranged units, you can do the same - keeping the enemy stacks asleep while you take them out one by one. The target tactic is much less costly mana-wise though.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Approved Member

I think it's all about strategy based on composition, e.g. if there are Assassins and Archers then the first spell you cast should be Phantom on your Royal Griffins. Then move them up to block the archers. All other units should wait until the Assassins have used their sneak attack on the phantoms before moving (Royal thorns can work too, just be careful the direction you place them!). Using the Royal Griffin's Heavenly Guards is dangerous because they pivot and expose themselves to a sneak attack in the process! If there are several ranged enemy units, cast Target on your Paladins/tank and wait until round 2 before moving your units.

Elwin, don't give up on your Mage yet! You just need to find the strategy that's going to work for you with AP. It's a new game and while some of the old TL stuff works, you'll still need to change tactics and think outside the box a little more. Your Bro may be whipping you at the moment, but tactically you will become a better player than him so when you do try Warrior you're going to kick his ass!

EDIT: I see DG types much faster than i do.