Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Well, thank you

Heh, i agree. I just get carried away when i'm enthusiastic i guess.

Maybe i should take up writing after-action reports when the sim is released, that way i could vent without cluttering up the entire forum. In fact, i'd be more than happy to contribute a piece about as long as my previous post to be used in the promotion of the simulator/as an introduction in the manual/on the back of the DVD box or whatever else promotional, but to do that i would actually need to get my hands on something like an early demo...yes, i know, "don't push your luck"

However i'm sure there are others who can do just as well or better than me and that gives me an idea (since i'm all ideas that end up being done by others ). Maybe we could have a fan-fiction writing contest here in the forum when the time of release draws near. We could vote the best entry and the piece would be used in some form of official promotion for the simulator with the author getting credited on the DVD Box or in the manual, or maybe he would get an autographed copy of the simulator. It would definitely be a more creative use of our typing than splitting hairs over non-final screenshots or going at each other's throats all day long

Back on the topic at hand, did i already say this was probably the best update in terms of pieces-finally-coming-together? I don't know if they will make the October intended release date, but i'm 90% confident we'll finally see SoW on the shelves within the next 3-4 months, maybe even earlier
Off topic:

I would LOVE to read after action reports from members when they fly a particularly interesting mission. Most missions aren't that memorable, but then you get those few that stick in your mind. Maybe strange things happen, or the fight is memorable, or you are forced to nurse a heavily damaged plane back to base. Sometimes all three (those are the BEST!).

Splitter
Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDNT View Post

I know the luminosity may be different, but the black sea I see in this wip screenshot looks too much like the black sea I see on some maps in Il-2.

I must nevertheless say that the geometry of the waves looks amazingly good.
dunno if its already been stated but probly a water depth issue
were the lighthouse is = shallow water
once your over deep sea then its Dark
Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Approved Member

Also the angle that the photo's taken at, position of the sun and things like if your using a polarized lens, exposure settings, camera etc.

There is so much disimilararity between the two imaged to make the comparison meaningless.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up 'Wetting my appetite'

Thanks Oleg - great pics!
I liked the early morning sun-effects and ground mist in the Bf109E shots - very photo realistic.
I will look forward to taking-off from the grass field, in formation - the Bf109E's looked very good from any angle.
The 'internal fire' in the FW200 Condor looks very realistic - you can certainly feel the heat!
Good to see you back on deck with the team.
DFLion
Old 09-12-2010, 01:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peffi View Post
If you were a pilot you would know how to navigate without an airspeed indicator. Wonder if you have the same problem if the speedometer brakes in your car, but you probably don't have a drivers license.

A wristwatch might be nice to go with that compass...
Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Approved Member

It amazes me how few polygon edges you can see in such a close up screenshot as this:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachm...3&d=1284123330

The English channel may look darker on some days, depending on where your viewpoint is, and from above it can appear even darker:

Flying online as Setback.

Last edited by major_setback; 09-12-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko417 View Post
A wristwatch might be nice to go with that compass...
True, but you wouldn't get lost without it.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peffi View Post
True, but you wouldn't get lost without it.
Actually, my post was more of a hint that one really needs more than a compass to navigate effectively. As you say, one can figure out what compass heading to fly based on tracking between two landmarks along your route. Once you've found a heading that corrects for any wind drift you can hold that heading and follow along with your map, spotting landmarks as they appear ahead. This is called Pilotage.

But what about the Lysander crossing the Channel example above? With no landmarks enroute you can just fly a heading and hope for the best, or you can do yourself a favour by calculating in advance the length of time to fly the crossing at a set speed, and then use your airspeed indicator and wristwatch to monitor your progress based on an ETA. Your heading would also be worked out in advance based on forecast wind along your route. This is called Dead Reckoning.

If you do get lost, a watch and knowledge of your speed are tools to help you deduce your position.

And if I'm planning to fly over the Channel on a moonless night I'll take that altimeter as well. Remember you can try to beat the high altitude flying record, but you can only tie the low altitude flying record...
Old 09-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Approved Member

Nothing to say about the impressive sea, planes, buildings, etc., but the terrain textures still look poor to me, and quite behind those of Wings of Prey and other modern simulations. They're poor and I've not seen significant advance, but for terrain objects, and clear intention of avoiding terrain screenshots from high above. They are far beyond the rest of what's been shown, and I wonder if they're gonna be enhanced, or they'll leave it in this IMHO WIP state.

Everything else looks nice or simply fantastic.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Approved Member

Wonderful screenshots, oleg and team!