Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Default PS3 Online racing contest for Sim players

Hello all

I would like to organize some racing contests for PS3 sim players.
Here is my first proposal:

- the race is in Sim mode, any plane you wish (except B17 - just because...)
- the setting is in the Ardennes, near Harlange, day, good weather (Dogfight room unlimited time - max 12 players to ensure good connection)
- players will race one againt one. The winner goes to the next round. The winner is the winner of the last round (final) . I suspect there will be many crashes, so we'll probably have a loosers-round too
- at the beginning of the game, we all meet at roughly 1500m alt. North-East of Harlange)
- the 2 players racing each other will be flying side-by-side from there, at roughly 1000m alt, going North
- when the 'Go' is given (by me) you can proceed towards the entry point of the circuit and race
- the next 2 players will given their 'Go' 1 or 2 mn later

- the circuit is as follows (see attached picture):

- the entry point is the river starting right under the name 'Villers' (of 'Villers La bonne eau') on the map (and I mean where 'Villers' is printed, NOT where the town actually is)
- you enter the 'trench' (a-la-StarWars trench battle) and follow the frozen river (going south)
- you are not allowed to exceed the altitude of 300m once in the trench
- after a minute or so, the river splits: take LEFT (general direction: south-south-east)
- you will need to fly under a bridge (near Fauvillier on the map)
- right after that bridge, turn LEFT (its a pretty hard turn)
- now you will have to go through some very tight hairpins
- you will arrive at a second bridge - pass under it

The winner of a round is the pilot who manages to pass through that second bridge safely first, or whose opponent crashes, of passes over a bridge before that. If 2 players collide during a race, it shall be redone (I hope this will not happen too often)

Notes:
- practice it before the game (the hairpins especially are tough to pass)
- choose your plane wisely - most of the second part of the track is done at pretty low speed, with very tight turns, while the first part can be done faster. You need a plane that can handle sharp turns at low speeds
- at the beginning of the track, the river is at 240m alt, while at the end it is at 230m. Those extra 10m will be usefull to handle the haipin turns
- total race time is just a few minutes, but there is no room for mistakes
- note that it is also strictly forbidden to shoot your opponent out of the sky

I suggest to hold the contest next weekend, at midnight CET (night of saturday to Sunday). That should make it morning in Japan, and afternoon in the US.

Please comment on this, add suggestions, or just simply sign up for the game
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Track.jpg (13.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by SafassThin; 01-14-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Adding image of circuit
Old 01-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Approved Member

If we could shoot it would be more fun IMO as you respawn near so just filter back into the run.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Approved Member

Nice idea Saf. Good initiative.

Think we need a map with the track. There's a cpl of guys that are brilliant in map-maping/marking. Maybe they could help out here?

Send out an SS
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
If we could shoot it would be more fun IMO as you respawn near so just filter back into the run.
The track is too short for this - the first shooter would gain enough terrain to ensure him victory. But if we find a longer track, why not.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQ59 View Post
Nice idea Saf. Good initiative.

Think we need a map with the track. There's a cpl of guys that are brilliant in map-maping/marking. Maybe they could help out here?

Send out an SS
I have been told that it is possible to do a screenshot on the ps3. If so, if someone could explain to me how to do it?

In any case, the track is actually not very difficult. There is really one turn not to miss, the rest of the time you follow the 'natural' course of the river.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafassThin View Post
I have been told that it is possible to do a screenshot on the ps3. If so, if someone could explain to me how to do it?

In any case, the track is actually not very difficult. There is really one turn not to miss, the rest of the time you follow the 'natural' course of the river.

To take a screenshot:
Hit the PS-button, scroll over to photo, choose "take screenshot", hit X.

Good initiative, I will try to sign up for this race.

We have had several races and other set ups which has turned out great, but also some that has ended not so good.
A session like this needs good planning and some practice runs.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Approved Member

hey frenchy!lol!

nice idea !count with me!

friendly
olife
Old 01-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

I added a small picture of the track.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Hello folks.

So the race took place yesterday, around 00.30 AM CET. Participants were The meistor, Plavikit,Kavor and myself.
The race went as follows:
- The meistor Vs Plavikit: winner Themeistor
- Kavor Vs Safass: winner Kavor

Final: Themeistor Vs Kavor: WINNER: THE MEISTOR

Loosers round: Plavikit Vs Safass: winner Plavikit

Thanks to the participants of this first race I organised, it was very instructive and gave many ideas and suggestions on how to proceed for the next competitions.

After this, we also improvised a relay race in the English landscape (emphasis on: Improvised). It was a little chaotic, but ultimately a race was organised and run.
I'm not sure I remember who won that race, though :-/

All in all, many thanks to the players who participated on this, it was very fun, helpful and instructive for future sessions. I think the next race will be a relay race again, very similar to the one we ran yesterday.

See you soon, friends!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Approved Member

Great fun last night.

That race track is a VERY fast and demanding one.
Guess I managed one run through it all without a crash or being shot down by Themeistor

Sorry to bail on the last session, my eyes was just to tired......