Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, I'm just grateful to see a blenny - past BoB sims had no RAF bombers.

A Wellington would be very neat though, as would an IL-4 for BoM (the Il-4 has a nicely larger payload compared to the Pe-2 and SB-2 - more distinctly different than the Il-2)
Old 02-27-2011, 04:37 AM
Approved Member

Yeah I would love to get a chance to fly one, mostly because it's what my grandfather flew. He was a squadron leader flying out of North Africa and later Gibraltar. I remember him telling me about doing night bombing raids over Italy.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Approved Member

Default Flight Sergeant James Allen Ward, RNZAF airman, World War II, c1941.

Flight Sergeant James Allen Ward, RNZAF airman, World War II, c1941. Ward (1919-1941) was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions over Munster, Germany, on 7 July 1941. He was co-pilot of a Vickers Wellington bomber which was hit by fire from a German night fighter, causing a fire at the rear of the starboard engine. Ward crawled out onto the wing of the aircraft on the end of a rope and succeeded in smothering the fire with a canvas cover. He was killed in action over Hamburg a little over two months later.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/ZG52_Gaga View Post

Flight Sergeant James Allen Ward, RNZAF airman, World War II, c1941. Ward (1919-1941) was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions over Munster, Germany, on 7 July 1941. He was co-pilot of a Vickers Wellington bomber which was hit by fire from a German night fighter, causing a fire at the rear of the starboard engine. Ward crawled out onto the wing of the aircraft on the end of a rope and succeeded in smothering the fire with a canvas cover. He was killed in action over Hamburg a little over two months later.
Amazing the bravery those blokes showed.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Approved Member

About making the AI planes flyable, Oleg already told us that this task will be for the 3rd party developers --> us.
So if you wanna fly this plane
- Try to find wellington's cockpit documentations/plans
- Download maya/3DSmax or any other 3D software
- Learn how to use it
- Wait for Oleg's mod tools
- And do it !!!
(anyway you can also wait for the other modders make it)

Last edited by Katkatman; 02-27-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
I realy hope for a flyable Wellington (or Hampden ) soon.
Fliable Wellington would indeed be very nice.

+ 1 for the Hampden. A funky looking little plane.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 AM
BigPickle

Yeah very similar to the wellington in many aspects, mainly speed being its only saving grace.
I'm sure I saw a picture of the Wellington cockpit from in game? i think it was on one of the updates, I do definitly remember Oleg saying that there will be a few AI made flyable in updates due to them not being ready in time for release. Hope the Wellington may be one of them.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
BigPickle

Some Nice Wellington Information

This airbase looks just like RAF Honnington (or possibly Feltwell), The airfield is up on a rise (seen in the photo) hangar types are the same and they face in the same directions and where the aircraft are 2 years later was a big concrete pan, its very possible that it could be:

HONINGTON

This was an expansion scheme aerodrome built in 1935-37 on the edge of the Breckland six miles south of Thetford. The camp was situated on the south-east corner of the landing ground which was fronted by four Type C hangars with a fifth to the rear on the west side. Technical, administrative and barrack buildings were mostly in brick with flat roofs, the camp backing onto the country road to Honington village, two miles to the east. The light nature of the soil proved to be reasonably free draining.
In July 1937 Nos. 77 and 102 Squadrons arrived, the former with Wellesleys and a few Audax, and No. 102 with Heyfords. They had come from Finningley in Yorkshire and in July 1938 returned to that county changing places with Nos. 75 and 215 Squadrons at Driffield. These newcomers were flying Harrows, which were to be concentrated in No. 3 Group, albeit that the squadrons commenced conversion to Wellingtons in the summer of 1939. Both were designated as No. 3 Group Pool Squadrons and No. 75 moved to Stradishall from whence No. 9 Squadron arrived to replace it at Honington. Shortly before the outbreak of war No. 215 was also moved leaving No. 9 to undertake the first RAF bombing raid of the war on September 4, 1939, an attempt to attack naval vessels off the German Baltic coast resulting in the loss of two Wellingtons to fighters. No. 9 had Honington to itself until the summer of 1940 when two of the depleted Battle squadrons, which had escaped from France found shelter there for a month. In late July No. 311 Squadron was formed with Czech airmen to use Wellingtons, flying their first raid on the night of October 10/11, 1940 shortly before being moved to Honington's satellite at East Wretham. No. 9 Squadron continued as the sole resident operational unit until it was transferred to No. 5 Group in August 1942 and left for Waddington. However, it was joined by No. 214's Wellingtons for a week in January 1942 while work was carried out on their home airfield at Stradishall. All told, 79 of No. 9's Wellingtons failed to return or were lost in operational crashes while the squadron was based at Honington.
During 1939-41, 18 small pan hardstandings were laid down at Honington, most off exceptionally long access tracks, those to the south crossing the public road. A tarmac perimeter road was also constructed during the same period. The runways remained grass with 1,400 yard runs NE-SW and SE-NW.
Honington was then transferred to the USAAF which had been allocated the station in June 1942 for development to a Class A standard bomber base. In September, VIII Air Service Command arrived to establish an air depot which eventually became the 1st Strategic Air Depot providing major servicing, repair and modification for B-17 Fortresses of the 3rd Bomb Division.
From February 1944 the station also housed the 364th Fighter Group and its three squadrons, first flying P-38 Lightnings and later P-51 Mustangs. The fighter group departed in November 1945 but Honington continued as an air depot until February 1946 becoming the last USAAF station to be returned to the RAF.
During the American occupation a perimeter track and 68 loop and a single pan hardstandings were put down, several of these on the special depot site built on the west side of the airfield and officially named Troston. A single T2 hangar was added on this site and eight Blister type were also erected on the airfield. Concrete runways were never built but the Americans put down 2,000 yards of steel planking on the main 05-23 runway.
Post-war, Honington was used by maintenance units until the early 1950s when a 3,000-yard concrete runway was laid. When re-opened for flying in 1955, four Canberra equipped squadrons were installed. From the following year Valiants were also present and from 1959 Victors. The V-bomber squadrons were withdrawn in the mid-1960s and after four years without resident squadrons the station became host to shore-based Buccaneers. These remained until the early 1980s when Tornado squadrons took over and were present for ten years. Then in 1994 Honington became the depot station of the RAF Regiment with much upgrading of buildings. The flying field with reserve status has been maintained and improved and is used during exercises.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkatman View Post
About making the AI planes flyable, Oleg already told us that this task will be for the 3rd party developers --> us.
I think when he said 3rd party developers he was talking about actual software studios and dev companies like the ones that create pay-ware stuff for FSX.

Do you have a quote that says otherwise? Because if he means to give the average user access to this stuff (besides the map builder) that's great!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Approved Member

Yep, I would love to pay for planes like the Wellington or the Hampden for that sake as DLC after the release. Oleg must find some source of income so we get the next iteration of CoD! Better buy them from MG so that they are included in the official game than from third party devs...

Sell them for $7-10 like RoF and the ones that like them will gladly pay while the fighter jocks that don't like to pay for them can stay happy with more and fatter targets for their their Spits This "planes for free" in patches nonsense must stop