Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Cryostasis > Technical issues

Technical issues Everything about technical problems and issues

Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs down Cryostasis Will Not Start

Well I have nowhere to turn to so I am joining another forum to see if someone who cares more than Direct2Drive or Aspyr will be able to help me.

THE PROBLEM:
I purchased Cryostasis from Direct2Drive and I have not been able to play the game. When I click on the game exe nothing happens. I mean nothing...no sound...no game screen absolutely nothing. When I go and look in the Task Manager I see that the Cryostasis exe is running. I have tried installing the game 4 times to no avail.

STEPS TAKEN:
So the first thing I did was to contact Direct2Drive via their slow online support and I was told I needed to contact Aspyr. So I did this via their online support and have not heard anything back from Aspyr either.

I decided to download the Demo version of the game and guess what...no issues what-so-ever. The game ran perfect.

Therefore any suggestions to get the retail version of the game to run would be appreciated.

This really sucks that I spent money so for vaporware!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

I had the opposite problem. The demo wouldn't start up at all for me. Yet the game works. However, I haven't been free of problems (you can see the thread I created here for the issues I had).

That being said, you may can try this...

I've been messing around with my config file since I can't access the option menus ingame. Under the "video settings" in the config file there is a line dealing with "r_shadermodel".

By default it was set to 1 for me. I wanted to have high quality settings, tho, so I changed it to 4. This made the game not even start up for me. If I change it back to 1 it runs perfectly fine tho.

So maybe you can open up your config file in your Cryostasis folder and change the number for your "r_shadermodel" and see if that does anything. I guess it has something to do with my video card? I'm not sure, I know little about computers tbh but just trying to help ya

my vid card is Nvidia GeForce 8800 btw. Another guy with this same card had the exact same problems as me on another forum.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassturd View Post
I had the opposite problem. The demo wouldn't start up at all for me. Yet the game works. However, I haven't been free of problems (you can see the thread I created here for the issues I had).

That being said, you may can try this...

I've been messing around with my config file since I can't access the option menus ingame. Under the "video settings" in the config file there is a line dealing with "r_shadermodel".

By default it was set to 1 for me. I wanted to have high quality settings, tho, so I changed it to 4. This made the game not even start up for me. If I change it back to 1 it runs perfectly fine tho.

So maybe you can open up your config file in your Cryostasis folder and change the number for your "r_shadermodel" and see if that does anything. I guess it has something to do with my video card? I'm not sure, I know little about computers tbh but just trying to help ya

my vid card is Nvidia GeForce 8800 btw. Another guy with this same card had the exact same problems as me on another forum.
Thanks for the response bassturd. I tried what you suggested but it did not work. I also tried using the exe from the demo version and the game actually started up and I was able to go to the options menu and change settings but it would not run the game once I started a new game.
This is really pissing me off that I spend my money and Direct2Drive is of no help and neither has Aspyr been...I have a ticket with them but they have not responded. I have never had this type of issue with a new game ever and it blows my mind that these companies are getting away with this. My system is more than adequate to run this game.

Q6600 2.4GHz
3GB RAM
1.5TB HD
Geforce GTX 260
Vista Ultimate 32Bit

Last edited by Astrat; 05-08-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:55 AM
Registered Member

Can some supply me with a list of the file names that are in the Cryostasis folder.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

You have to go to your Cryostasis folder and change your config.cfg (using notepad or something). Change @v.sx and @v.sy to the correct resolution x.y. Also @r.aspectratio should be your aspect ratio (16:10 = 1.6, 16:9 = 1.7) and @r.shadermodel to your level of shaders. When the game loads, you can change these values via the interface.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

if you have problems to play cryostasis you have to use the drivers in this page http://www.evga.com/articles/00471/