Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Approved Member

Default Beta Patch – and we mean BETA!

It's here! There is no readme yet. The patch addresses a lot of small things, which will all be listed in the readme included with the patch once it goes live.

Main areas of improvement are performance and FPS. We’ve also updated sounds, fixed some minor bugs around aircraft etc.

We’re still optimizing some things as I write this, so the final patch should offer slightly better performance.

Before installing the patch, make sure that your game version is up to date. If you have disabled automatic updates in steam, re-enable it and allow steam to update the game to the most recent version which is 1.00.13820.

The patch will not work with an earlier version of Cliffs of Dover.

Download the patch and manually extract it to your main game directory which by default is
(Program Files)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

Your new game version will be 1.00.13915. This patch will later be overwritten by an automatic update.

Note that while this version will allow you to play online with the older version, they are actually incompatible and you will run into issues. You do not have to report them.

http://www.1cfiles.com/IL2_CliffsofD...2COD_13915.rar

What to look for:
1. Changes in performance – please report whether it’s gotten better, and if so, by how much.
2. Any graphical bugs or glitches, especially with landscape, buildings and trees.
3. Any other unforeseen glitches and bugs.

PLEASE keep this thread ONLY for the discussion of the beta patch. Please do not re-report previously reported issues. Please do not use this as a Q&A thread or a flamewar thread or a feature request thread or a lamentation thread. Please keep it purely utilitarian. That’s what this beta patch is – a quick way to see if it does what it should without doing something it shouldn’t.

Thank you all for your support!

NOTE: This is the international version of the patch. It will not work with the Russian version. If you have purchased a Russian version of the game, download this instead:
http://www.1cfiles.com/IL2_CliffsofD...D_13915_ru.rar

Mirrors:

Eng
http://uploading.com/files/m21m18d1/IL2COD_13915.rar/
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0B7RW3N5

Rus
http://uploading.com/files/a21736c7/..._13915_ru.rar/
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O294JUXV

[Quick Note - 1845 Moscow time]

Some additional points:

1. Many of you reported being unable to run the game in full screen now. The issue is actually a WIP feature. Until today, CoD only supported a pseudo full screen mode, i.e. a stretched window with no borders. Post-patch we'll have three modes: window, pseudo full screen, and true full screen. We just don't have a GUI switch for it yet, and it can't set it right.
This will be addressed in the live version of the patch.

2. As the patch mainly addressed graphics, the performance gain should have been most noticeable on older machines. The faster your videocard, the less increase in FPS. Eventually your CPU becomes the limiting factor.

3. We do have some additional optimizations that didn't make the beta, like I said. Trees are now a bit faster, and we've optimized block loading, the periodic load-unload of large terrain swatches as you move across the map.

4. If you cannot launch the game, I don't have a fix at this time. We're trying to figure out why this may be happening. Probably a version mismatch somewhere, or it may be connected to the #1 above.
If you wish, you can downgrade to the earlier version by simply right-clicking the game in steam, selecting Properties, and then going to Local Files - Verify Integrity of Local Cache.

And the most important note. If you notice REDUCED performance, crashes, or any kind of other crippling issues, it is extremely important you post your system specs including your version of Windows. That's the only way we can troubleshoot your problem and make sure it disappears by tomorrow!

Thanks again everyone, please keep at it!

Last edited by nearmiss; 04-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Approved Member

Here are two mirrors, hope they will be faster:

Eng
http://uploading.com/files/m21m18d1/IL2COD_13915.rar/

Rus
http://uploading.com/files/a21736c7/..._13915_ru.rar/

If you know any faster place please let me know.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Approved Member

Patched.

Few points.

1. Current resolution 1900x1200 (something like that), desktop res 2560x1600.. so when the mission loads up the game opens in like a borderless window and i'm at desktop res. EDIT:: alt-tabbed to adjust desk-top res to match, went to options after a fly and discovered my in-game res was changed to 1280x1024!

2. Flew over London, plenty of stutterings as buildings load in. Tree's off btw.

3. Tried cross-country mission (includes take-off) still stutters a bit at begining, but stops very quickly and a considerable improvement in FPS whilst on the ground <-- invalid, res was 1280x1024 and not 1920x1200. - read 1.. will try again with native res. EDIT: at native res, FPS varied between 5 and 20 FPS.. avg 10FPS. Unplayable at native res of 2560x1600.

4. Changed res to playable res: 1920x1200, CoD crashed (always does anyway).. changed desktop res to 1920x1200. Sorted issue of 1, a workaround at least. CTD first attempt to load. Tried channel quick mission, cross-country, London sight-seeing.

5. Loading time from desktop to menu is a lot longer. As in going from the loading screen, that is it finishes and screen goes blank for a good 10secs before you are in the cockpit.

6. Stuttering seemed worse at lower resolutions.

7. Using GPU-Z, the GPU usuage can be as low as 30%.

8. Server browser working, but not always shows server's that are actually online.

9. Spawning a plane in MP is sometimes bugged and you can't start the engine.

10. Turned tree's on, high. I understand this patch didn't optimize the tree's? Well, only a small FPS drain with tree's on. Certainly no increased stutter, which imo is purely down to buildings. Would be nice to be able to turn buildings off and see the difference. Are you sure you optimized the buildings... heh.

11. Stutters are more pronounced flying closer to buildings.

Personally, it seems I have no performance gain. Still stutter's, same FPS. To me, seems the same as before the patch.

Options set to max, except building detail/amount very low and trees off. FPS will vary between 25-60. (tree's now on, just lowers my avg FPS, no increased stuttering).

Yep, I checked version numbers and it's patched.

Hope it is allowing people with a lower spec machine to run it.. it was playable for me anyway.

System specs:

Intel Core i7 980X 3.33GHz (Gulftown) Extreme Edition;
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2048MB;
Patriot Torqx 256GB SSD;
Corsair 12GB 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 Dominator;
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Intel X58;
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit;
30" Dell Monitor.

Last edited by doghous3; 04-08-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

No matter which settings I use (forrest on/off, building details etc.) I get 30-50 frames with mini freezes all the time. It seems to me even less playable with fast movements than before. Even Photoshop in background with 1 GB file being worked, does not significantly effect the framerate.

Affinitymask set to 0, 15, and 255 btw.

---------------------

2600k, GTX 560 Ti Phantom II 2GiG, 16Gig Ram 1600MHz

Last edited by I/JG27_Zimmi; 04-07-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Patched, now only sound but no screen. By activating task-manager i will get the screen back, but if I try to start a mission I get the error message that the launcher-exe has stopped working...

And the most important note. If you notice REDUCED performance, crashes, or any kind of other crippling issues, it is extremely important you post your system specs including your version of Windows. That's the only way we can troubleshoot your problem and make sure it disappears by tomorrow!

Last edited by nearmiss; 04-07-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Approved Member

Mirror EN beta patch
100 Mbs/5 slots
http://dl.free.fr/k57NRTCOg
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Approved Member

Well, so far in 10mins of testing I've seen;

- Substantially smoother framerate + general FPS improved (actually playable in limited testing)

- AI planes don't show up in some of the quick missions?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Average fps over land: 11

Buildings and trees set to low, screen res: 1360x768.

Specs: ATI HD4850 512mb, Intel C2D E6400 2,13ghz, 3gb RAM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

After patching the CoD does not even start! I get the "cross hair" logo for 5 sec then nothing more.
Checked the processes and there is no Cod process open - it has auto shutdown.

Last edited by nearmiss; 04-07-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Approved Member

Same problem as doghous3:
*If running game in a res lower than desktop it will not fill the whole screen.

*Changing refresh rate to 60Hz, which should be correct, from 59Hz, gave me just a black screen.
By ctrl-alt-delete'ing the screen/menu became visible again.

*fps the 5sec i played seemed almost doubled (with same settings).
Abt 30fps in cockpit in training mission1 before, now it was 60ish...
But need to test more once I can run in fullscreen...
Closed Thread