Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Default X52 Joystick setup

Hi everyone, I finally got 1946 reinstalled and my joystick out of the closet, and I want to make sure I get the stick working properly. With my first run of 1946 about a year ago, I had no idea how to create a profile/download and use one. I tried to create my own profile but most things I set wouldn't actually work in the game. How do I set up my controls? Do I create a profile through the profiler software and unbind all the controls ingame? Any help would be appreciated, I'm really excited to finally get into this game.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
Do I create a profile through the profiler software and unbind all the controls ingame?
Yes and No. Just enter the controls that are used in the game to the profile. If in the game "Fire Weapon 1" is "e", mouse left klick on the field below e.g. "trigger" in the profile editor. Press e. Now when the profile is active, pressing the trigger does fire weapon 1 in IL-2.

If you want to save yourself some work, google for a il-2 profile for the x-52 and use that as a starting point. And don't forget to load the profile before starting il-2 !
Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
Hi everyone, I finally got 1946 reinstalled and my joystick out of the closet, and I want to make sure I get the stick working properly. With my first run of 1946 about a year ago, I had no idea how to create a profile/download and use one. I tried to create my own profile but most things I set wouldn't actually work in the game. How do I set up my controls? Do I create a profile through the profiler software and unbind all the controls ingame? Any help would be appreciated, I'm really excited to finally get into this game.

There are a few things you need to keep in mind when considering stick profiles.

First check out this stick guide at M4T .

Then consider..

1-You have to make sure that the settings used by the profile are the same ones set in your copy of the sim.
2-Consider that there are many default settings that are redundant. For example ... if you go into the default controls setting you will see key strokes set for individual increments of power ... keystrokes set for Aircraft controls .. like elevator rudder it.. , power, mixture, trim and prop pitch. Well if you are using a HOTAS ... like an X-52 .. all those controls can be set on a slider and the keystrokes used for them freed up for other thongs.. so you do not have to unbind all of the default settings .. just some of them..
3-NOT using the profiling software WILL limit the versatility of what you can do with the stick. You can set it up just by pressing buttons for most major functions.. but if you really want to fully use the stick IMO using the profiling SW s the only way to go.

It is time consuming to learn the profiling software and create a well thought out profile .. and I have found that it is usually a work in progress that is constantly evolving as the sim evolves and your needs evolve.. but it is the best route to take. This is why it is best to use the software. When I took the time to establish my initial profile I used a paper and pencil.. Like I said .. it is a little work but it is well worth it.. If you are using W7 you may have to make sure that your users folder is not set to read only otherwise whatever work you do will be lost once you exit and reboot the sim so do this before you start to do anything inside the sim as far as resetting any controls.

Put some thought into it and consider that by using the profiling SW you can use combined key presses.. for example.. on my stick E is for engine.. CTRL+E is for left engines .. ALT+E is for right engines.. SHIFT +E is for select all engines .... Without using the profiling SW I would not be able to do that.

Last edited by Bearcat; 02-11-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Approved Member

A few years ago i've started playing IL2 using this type of joystick. One thing I can tell you: I've never used any profile! I've just went in game - controls and chose what I needed to bind.
My piece of advice: try to use only the X52 throttle in combination with another joystick, preferably Microsoft Sidewinder Forcefeeback 2, knowing the fact that X52 joystick is not so reliable.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
A few years ago i've started playing IL2 using this type of joystick. One thing I can tell you: I've never used any profile! I've just went in game - controls and chose what I needed to bind.
Wouldn't recommend that. Its easier to switch profiles than to rebind every key -if you want to have specific profiles for bomber/fighter. AND another thing makes using profile(s) IMHO superior to just binding the knobs and keys: Pressing the i-Button and the button "just can't remember what it does" displays its function in the display so you don't have to look up that in the IL-2 options menu.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfailure View Post
Wouldn't recommend that. Its easier to switch profiles than to rebind every key -if you want to have specific profiles for bomber/fighter. AND another thing makes using profile(s) IMHO superior to just binding the knobs and keys: Pressing the i-Button and the button "just can't remember what it does" displays its function in the display so you don't have to look up that in the IL-2 options menu.
Finally it's Vindicator's choice even if you recommend a solution or not!
Here we present solutions and options not judging others' and let the one who asked to decide what's best for him!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
My piece of advice: try to use only the X52 throttle in combination with another joystick, preferably Microsoft Sidewinder Forcefeeback 2, knowing the fact that X52 joystick is not so reliable.
Yes but in the meantime if all he has is an X-52 I recommend that he use the profiling SW and unbind any redundant keys and bind any unbound keys .. and then save that settings file and profile accordingly. Hit The Nugget's Guide link in my sig for more on this. I use a MSFFB2 with an X-52 as well.. and even before I modified my stick I used it as a button bay placed above my throttle on the desk.. If you have the real estate and are adverse to tinkering with your stick then that is a good option. The problem with doing it the way you suggest is that you are limited in what you can program. Your A button will be seen as your A button in mode 1 2 or 3. IMO if you are using a stick like the X-52 in just one mode without the profiling SW you are barely scratching the surface of what the stick can do for you. Because of my stick set up I have never in my 8 years of using a Saitek HOTAS (x-45 BEFORE THE x-52) in conjunction with a MSFFB2 stick had to use all 6 modes that the stick has available.. but I do use the 3 base modes.. regularly. There are certain aspects of the Saitek sticks that cannot be utilized without using the profiling SW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfailure View Post
This is true as well.. although my i key is used for flaps down.. but you are right .. it is much much more rewarding in the long run to learn the profiling SW and set up profiles. Once you get all the key commands set up the way you want them you can rename the default settings file in the users folder and copy your current settings file and rename that one default.. that way if you ever accidentally hit reset to default it will not change. If you save that settings file and your stick profiles your settings will be the least of your worries in the case of a catastrophic hardware failure.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Approved Member

Yammo's profile is a good one to start with if you're too lazy to profile by yourself!
One important thing is to use your rotaries on your throttle for elevator trimm and ailerons trimm! Very useful!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll get to work on making my profile some time this weekend. Appreciate the help guys.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Approved Member

I use the stick software and highly recommend it and remember to name everything. It's not hard to start programming the keystrokes and assign them after you have a list of functions started and if you are a Track Ir user I recommend clearing out all the POV functions from the hat switch in-game so you can free up the hat for other things in the profiler.

Last edited by Krt_Bong; 02-17-2013 at 07:39 PM.