Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades

Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades A new chapter in the Real Warfare realistic real-time strategy games series.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Approved Member

Default Ideas and suggestions

Unicorn asked to collect on the email rw2box(at)hotmail your ideas and suggestions for improve the game in single and multi; so send all the things you would like to see in the game (more the ideas are well explained better is). Please insert the tag "Idea" in the object of mail for separate it from the bug report.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Approved Member

Wow great

I just sent about 10 ideas in my mail, in the hopes of that some will be used.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Approved Member

Could you post them here too? It's always very interesting subject to discuss.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

Great! will do!

My initial impressions are;

1) it's a bit difficult for a noob to get an army big enough to do any fighting, especially when ..
(2) Bandits command large armies .. ????
(3) Bandits and peasants seem to have valuable items ... ????
(4) peasants seem to wonder anywhere even in enemy territory ... ????
(5) I having problems understanding -Army levels when hiring units, maybe I need to do more reading
(6) I prefer sand-box gaming where I can do my own thing, hope this game allows this
(7) Game scenario might be great for a Russian audience but next game should be marketed towards Europeans / Americans - Rome? Civil War?
( I don't hear any noise when archers fire arrows, the more realistic a battle is, the more enjoyable it will be.
(9) Maybe some peasant units should be owned by the player, which he needs to protect?
(10) Game speed is too fast and hitting numpad + and – just pauses the game.

... more to come ..

Note ????? = is that historically correct? if so, then i need to learn more about this historical period.
.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
========================================
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-

Last edited by He111; 11-29-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Approved Member

errr .. i just tried that email address but it came back with an error ??

Is that hotmail.com ?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by He111 View Post
(7) Game scenario might be great for a Russian audience but next game should be marketed towards Europeans / Americans - Rome? Civil War?
It's personal taste but imo XVIII/XIX is not a good time frame. It's 90% about guns and shooting which is really boring (as E:TW and N:TW were). My choice would be XV/XVI century - medieval twilight and dawn of the gunpowder era. It's the best time because the whole variety of units can be represented and everyone can choose his own army composition and tactics. The Hussite Wars is the best example of this time. I'd like to see war wagons in action.

Quote:
(10) Game speed is too fast and hitting numpad + and – just pauses the game.
IMO not the game speed is too fast but cavalry speed. Heavy armored knights riding on heavy armored horses shouldn't run so fast or turn on a dime. Especially, cavalry in wedge formation was very hard to command and turn. Horses seem to have not 1hp but whole Porsche inside.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
errr .. i just tried that email address but it came back with an error ??

Is that hotmail.com ?

No sorry, I miss a piece, is rw2box(at)hotmail.it
Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Wizard View Post
It's personal taste but imo XVIII/XIX is not a good time frame. It's 90% about guns and shooting which is really boring (as E:TW and N:TW were). My choice would be XV/XVI century - medieval twilight and dawn of the gunpowder era. It's the best time because the whole variety of units can be represented and everyone can choose his own army composition and tactics. The Hussite Wars is the best example of this time. I'd like to see war wagons in action.
That sounds good but that would require alot of different unit (soldier) development - meshes, animations etc. Their next game could be "Knights and Castles", using same units just moving the Location to western Europe. Target audience would be France, England etc .. although if the Euro collapses then maybe "Ancient China" should be their next game!?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
although if the Euro collapses then maybe "Ancient China" should be their next game!?
That sounds good too but Chinese were using gunpowder much earlier than in europe. Have you seen Red Cliff movie? That is how I picture "Ancient China" .
btw as you probably saw in custom battles, textures for many western european countries are already done. All the game needs is a bigger map (and maybe some castle maps for siege battles).

Last edited by Goblin Wizard; 11-29-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Wizard View Post
It's personal taste but imo XVIII/XIX is not a good time frame. It's 90% about guns and shooting which is really boring (as E:TW and N:TW were). My choice would be XV/XVI century - medieval twilight and dawn of the gunpowder era. It's the best time because the whole variety of units can be represented and everyone can choose his own army composition and tactics.
Thirty years war perhaps? A great variety of sligthly old-styled cavalry and infantry, getting modernized with gunpowder weapons. Pikemen, Musketeers, A quite large variety of cavalry, like Cuirassiers, Lancers, Polish hussars.. cannons... That'd probably be a nice time of the game. (Even though we already have With Fire & Sword).

If interested to read, here are my ideas that I've sent already. Note that it's alot of text.

First: I've mentioned it in many posts. The strafing. It should work to do oblique (In 2 directions simultaneously), so it's way easier to use the camera (especially on the battlefield).
Next: The Campaign as well as the battles have a great potential. To make the campaign better, you should add some improvements and more options when it comes to managing cities, entering battles, and so on. It also lacks many important things such as unit recruitment costs, which only appears after you've bought them, they should be visible before buying. Additionally, more quests so that a too-hard-one wont stop the player, rather that he/she gets some extra smaller quests to do, and in that way gain money, experience and so on for his/her army, which makes it easier to get better units and face even the hardest quests. Do NOT make the main-quests easier though, as they are fun when it's hard to win.
Last here; More unique units would not be so bad.

Continuously, The battles could in many ways be improved. The units (Speaking of a regiment now, not just an individual), are too close-packed. They look really small even if it's irregulars with 200-260 men. If making them in a bit more loose formation, it would look much nicer. Also, it's a bit annoying that they are always put in a really big column rather than 3-4 nicely organized lines.
The battle controls are quite well done, with good formations and so, but the units react very slow on orders. Usually they don't even run when having orders to. I think it would be better if they had running as basic rather than walking, and perhaps they'd walk if you just pressed anywhere on the map, but if you assigned a certain place to them dragging the regimental cursor, the "how the regiment shall form up when in position", they should run (Compare with Shogun 2 Total War).
Something else very annoying is that archers and Crossbows barely deals any damage on long distances. At the same time, they deal a bit over-powered damage on short distances. Arrows should do more damage even though they have flown long, but perhaps with less accuracy. If they fire at enemies close to them, the arrows should basically do about the same damage, but with much greater accuracy.
Last idea for the battles: It would be good if you could have a deployment phase before the battle, especially at siege battles, since now the walls are quite useless because of that the enemy gets to them in no time.

And it would be well appreciated if you guys could fix the crashes, which occur more on some battles/sieges than others.