Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades

Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades A new chapter in the Real Warfare realistic real-time strategy games series.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

Default Some questions...

1. Does something like charge bonus exist? I can't find anything about it in manual.

2. Does a unit get penalty/bonus for fighting uphill/downhill?

3. Are there any differences between units except 5-6 basic parameters with 0-3 possible values. For example - does the efficiency of a western swordsman maxed to 3/3/3.. will be the same as Russ version maxed to 3/3/3..? If there are other hidden parameters, please, tell me where I can find them.

4. Does the editor added to the game can only handle map modifications or I can add/modify units with it? Does a manual for this editor exist?

5. Is there any skill points cap for the commander skills?

Hmm...what can I say. This game has a huge potential. It's hard to go wrong with Mount & Blade and Total War crossover. Unfortunately, significant number of bugs makes this game very irritating after a short time. I can get over with most of them except stupid battle AI. For god sake this game is all about battles. I still occasionally play first Medieval:TW and this 10 year old game has battle AI that beats RW2 in every possible way. IMO it's the first thing that has to be fixed.
The other thing I don't like is "army exp." idea - totally unrealistic. IMO each unit should have its own exp pool. A unit should gain exp separately by fighting/shooting/killing enemies. Now, one unit fights and other unit gets upgrade .

Manual - someone should read it before uploading. There are 2 sentences that are repeated 4 times on the 3 pages (if something is so important you can make it bold, right?). Some of your commander skills' names are different than those in game. There are other things that have different names in manual and in game too.

For me, it looks like the game was released at least 2-3 months earlier that normally should.

Last edited by Goblin Wizard; 11-21-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Wizard View Post
1. Does something like charge bonus exist? I can't find anything about it in manual.

3. Are there any differences between units except 5-6 basic parameters with 0-3 possible values. For example - does the efficiency of a western swordsman maxed to 3/3/3.. will be the same as Russ version maxed to 3/3/3..? If there are other hidden parameters, please, tell me where I can find them.

4. Does the editor added to the game can only handle map modifications or I can add/modify units with it? Does a manual for this editor exist?

Yes are all things in the game routines; have a little of patience, I will take a look to interpreted code for a short description of algorithm; if you know a little of script or programming languages I can explain you how to see them yourself

Quote:
Unfortunately, significant number of bugs makes this game very irritating after a short time.
They are working on them don't worry

Quote:
I can get over with most of them except stupid battle AI. For god sake this game is all about battles. I still occasionally play first Medieval:TW and this 10 year old game has battle AI that beats RW2 in every possible way. IMO it's the first thing that has to be fixed.
Well about the AI I read on various forum and reviewers and from my italian friend which take the game the opposite judgement (the played to TW also). I suppose is a matter of gaming experiences and perceptions of various players
Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yes. It depends on the distance to a target. If enemy is close, cavalry will approach on trot or even walk speed and engage. But if distance allows, cavalry will automatically switch to gallop to make a powerful first strike.

You should also note what weapons are readied. After first hit (with lances if they have them) they switch to swords. If you don't give them a moment to regroup after a melee fight, they won't have time to ready their lances again and will attack with swords readied.

Quote:
Yes, both for ranged and melee weapons.

Quote:
Skills may be the same, but equipment sometimes is not and not all men in the regiment may be equal. For example, eastern bows are composite and have more power than western ones, so, let's say, Mongol archers will have an advantage even if skills are the same.
There are some differences for other units as well. Let's compare elite regiments, Western knights and Russian Senior Druzhina or Mongol Kheshig unit. Druzhina and Kheshig are all elite warriors with the same skills. On the other hand, knight reqiment contains 50% knights, which are the most powerful warriors in the game, and 50% squires, who are somewhat less able.

Quote:
You can do ANYTHING except engine modifications, there are YouTube videos showing AI and GUI modification. The entire game has been made using the same editor you have.

Quote:
Yes, max skill level is 5.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitra View Post
Yes are all things in the game routines; have a little of patience, I will take a look to interpreted code for a short description of algorithm; if you know a little of script or programming languages I can explain you how to see them yourself
I know a little about programming. Let me know where I should look for. If I have any problems I ask again.

Quote:
Well about the AI I read on various forum and reviewers and from my italian friend which take the game the opposite judgement (the played to TW also). I suppose is a matter of gaming experiences and perceptions of various players
I don't want to argue with you so I'll give you an example from one of my latest battles:
AI took defensive positions and stood still. I set my units in line in front of AI's line. AI didn't want to attack first so I sent one of my archers on the enemy flank and started to shoot. 1st unit was reduced by more than 50%...2nd unit was reduced by more than 50%.. when the 3rd unit was close to 50% of loses AI started to react but it was far too late. My archers were firing from the short range and from the flank so they killed more than 250 enemy soldiers without loosing even one man. AI had archers too but from the unknown reasons decided not to shoot or react in any other way. How would you call that type of behavior?

Additional question: Does the number of rows in archers unit has any influence on the shooting efficiency (accuracy, damage)?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I know a little about programming. Let me know where I should look for. If I have any problems I ask again.
1 - open editor.exe
2 - from the menu of editor select "editor script->states machines"
3 - you will see a list of aix files and a button edit
4 - every aix files contains the battle mechanics and the AI routines: example
west europe global.aix contains AI routines, west europe group.aix the routine for group factors in battle, all the others manage routines of single soldiers or objects (open one of them with edit).
5 each aix contains different states which are a logical block of code (something similar to a class), the states are called in a logical sequence starting from a the state main. THe state have names sufficient speaking for understand what they do, wihtout reading all the before.

Quote:
I don't want to argue with you so I'll give you an example from one of my latest battles:
AI took defensive positions and stood still. I set my units in line in front of AI's line. AI didn't want to attack first so I sent one of my archers on the enemy flank and started to shoot. 1st unit was reduced by more than 50%...2nd unit was reduced by more than 50%.. when the 3rd unit was close to 50% of loses AI started to react but it was far too late. My archers were firing from the short range and from the flank so they killed more than 250 enemy soldiers without loosing even one man. AI had archers too but from the unknown reasons decided not to shoot or react in any other way. How would you call that type of behavior?
This is the behaviour of peasants armies, the ai in game has three behaviour preset, defensive, aggressive, free (you can set it manually in custom battle). Depending from the situation or army type on the campaign map you has different behaviour. Anyway if you read the scripts you will see how logic the AI apply in reaction to situations.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Approved Member

Thanks a lot! Could you tell me one more thing - where (in editor) I can find units' stats, equipment, development trees, etc.?

btw Are all your youtube videos and pdf guides for RW1242 applicable for RW2:NC too?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Could you tell me one more thing - where (in editor) I can find units' stats, equipment, development trees, etc.?
In the initial state of various aix is where the fixed constans are set for units or soldier. Make attention they are not absolute but are influenced by other fixed values or external variable values. Example from the state you will see the great axe used by western axemen and by russian elite axemen is the same, what make difference is the different ability with the primary weapon. You will see troops with shield bonus but shield bonus is applied only if the direction of hit comes from a direction where shield can intercept it. etc
The development trees must be part of one of interface .aix (that which manages the GUI and the menus) but is new, still I don't have found it. Perhaps is read by the AIX state using a text file.

Quote:
btw Are all your youtube videos and pdf guides for RW1242 applicable for RW2:NC too?
For tactical battle yes

Last edited by mitra; 11-22-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
In the initial state of various aix is where the fixed constans are set for units or soldier. Make attention they are not absolute but are influenced by other fixed values or external variable values. Example from the state you will see the great axe used by western axemen and by russian elite axemen is the same, what make difference is the different ability with the primary weapon. You will see troops with shield bonus but shield bonus is applied only if the direction of hit comes from a direction where shield can intercept it. etc
The development trees must be part of one of interface .aix (that which manages the GUI and the menus) but is new, still I don't have found it. Perhaps is read by the AIX state using a text file.

For tactical battle yes
That is very interesting. *Excited*
Now Im wondering, any idea how to change so camera will strafe in 2 directions simultaneously? (Compare to Total War Series). What I mean is, Strafing for example down and left = moving the camera "southeast", if you get what I mean. I'd so much appreciate if anyone knows how to do that
Old 11-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsRealWarfare View Post
That is very interesting. *Excited*
Now Im wondering, any idea how to change so camera will strafe in 2 directions simultaneously? (Compare to Total War Series). What I mean is, Strafing for example down and left = moving the camera "southeast", if you get what I mean. I'd so much appreciate if anyone knows how to do that
Camera movement is controlled by scripts, I think is one or more states in gui.aix which contains the states related to battle GUI. A modder can add new movements from here
Old 11-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Approved Member

Wow, thanks. I just found it under "Advanced" in the editor. Can a completely-new-to-this person like me do that? Or will it require someone with more experience?