Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Approved Member

FSX clouds are 2D, they are nice from afar, but in a military flght SIM, you need to use the clouds to hide, etc...And that is impossible with FSX as there is no way for two computers to share the clouds because of non-existence in 3D.

There are clouds like these (2D) in CloD, the far away clouds (last patch or next patch ???).
Crucial M4 256GB SSD, WD Raptor 600 GB hard disk
EVGA GTX580 graphics card
HP ZR24W Monitor 1900 X 1200 24"
Thrustmaster Warthog joystick
Saitek Combat rudder pedals
TrackIr 5
Old 06-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt fury View Post
i really dont understand why they cant give us state of the art dynamic clouds and weather when FS 2004 fsx has them,In FSX they have the spitfire and ME109 with original recorded internal external sounds ,its no big deal no secret so whats wrong with these guys??!! just plain paranoid.This is supposed to be a commercial sim not a lower end payware .If they would distance themselves friom that stupid policy of closed architecture we would have tons of add ons, just take a look at FS.These guys are blind.You cant handle everything.As for real weather ,if you want it as an option go ahead purchase it install it and play you can also switch it off and use the sims dynamic programme.Its a question of phylosophy change up there.
What you describe as advantages of FSX is actually separate payware add-ons, all of it, which usually costs $30 apiece.

That's why they have real engine sounds, they can afford to pay the copyright/royalty fees to someone who has engine recordings, or they can pay for the engine maintenance and have a warbird owner/association run the engine for them while they record it themselves.

As for the matter of closed architecture, it's actually the other way around. The previous series was indeed that way, the current one is open. You can even modify flight model parameters by editing a couple of files. Things are a bit muddy until we get the SDK for it all and a way to enforce what mod is acceptable or not for online gameplay (for example, i might mod something, forget about it, go online and after a while i get banned by Steam for cheating because the control mechanisms to distinguish between mod and cheat are not yet in place), but it's in the works.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula88 View Post

Clod thinks all clouds are cold enough to cause icing regardless of air temperature though there is no way I know of to confirm OAT in Clod.
Welcome in the Siberian's Normandy skies !

Quote:
Payware add-ons for Clod is a brilliant idea and,
No !!! Let those guys out of the door. If they wanna makes money then ice cream is a good business opportunity.
If they hve any good idea that devs are unable to reach then why not makes a deal directly with 1c ?

Otherwise ... well, I tell you abt ice creams.

Quote:
I have easily over 1000 USD in FSX add-ons so I dont mind spending the extra cash to get quality add-ons.
Good for you. But (my guess) as the Average player might be a teenager or one in his low twenties, 45$ is already a descent amount of money for a video game. There is no way to replicate the RoF business model ( a shame IMHO) wihout shortening the live of this sim to a mere 2 or 3 years. Personally I don't want to see those Tornado's 0/400 or Typhon's Camels with EGO sensors ON.

Quote:
To those that say payware is the wrong direction for Clod to go, you are either too poor to afford those add-ons or are just plain blind to the fact that opening up Clod to the add-ons devs would only increase exposure and sales thereby making the sim more enjoyable for all of us.
You really need to fresh up your mind... I told you Ice cream is a good business opportunity

Quote:
I have faith this m will become great with only 1C working on it, but as I said, letting aftermarket companies have their shot with it cant hurt anything.
Is that a spam ?

Last edited by TomcatViP; 06-12-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Approved Member

Well, it's just a matter of opinion, he's simply disagreeing with you

Honestly, if it was up to me i would do a bit of both. I would like having a 3rd party industry around CoD to give it exposure, but i'd limit that to single player content.
What i wouldn't support is a situation where 3rd party payware becomes a standard for online gameplay.
You might have a 1000 dollars in add-ons, but the majority won't and if it becomes necessary to have as much as half that before going online, then the online aspect will gradually wither and die. The reason FSX flourishes is that add-ons are completely optional and up to the player

So, i would mix a bit of what both you and Tomcat are saying so that the biggest amount of people have the most amount of options available to them. Otherwise we just end up ostracizing one part of the community in favor of another and things go downhill.

P.S. As for the clouds, the default FSX clouds are 3D. The REX clouds are 2D photos
Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Well, it's just a matter of opinion, he's simply disagreeing with you

Honestly, if it was up to me i would do a bit of both. I would like having a 3rd party industry around CoD to give it exposure, but i'd limit that to single player content.
What i wouldn't support is a situation where 3rd party payware becomes a standard for online gameplay.
You might have a 1000 dollars in add-ons, but the majority won't and if it becomes necessary to have as much as half that before going online, then the online aspect will gradually wither and die. The reason FSX flourishes is that add-ons are completely optional and up to the player

So, i would mix a bit of what both you and Tomcat are saying so that the biggest amount of people have the most amount of options available to them. Otherwise we just end up ostracizing one part of the community in favor of another and things go downhill.

P.S. As for the clouds, the default FSX clouds are 3D. The REX clouds are 2D photos
I just watched the video on the REX site, I noticed that in the whole video it never showed the plane flying into the heavy clouds, also need to take account of the lack of a realistic FM and DM in FSX which leaves more cpu cycles for other things, just give CoD time and I'm sure they will get most of the goodies working, just as was done with ROF, although ROF has payware, the sims themselves barely cost more than 1 FSX add on so we should appreciate the work that has been done with a lot less dollars and a lot less cost for the buyer.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
What you describe as advantages of FSX is actually separate payware add-ons, all of it, which usually costs $30 apiece.

That's why they have real engine sounds, they can afford to pay the copyright/royalty fees to someone who has engine recordings, or they can pay for the engine maintenance and have a warbird owner/association run the engine for them while they record it themselves.
I guess they'd need a fairly big wallet before they could ask a Warbird owner to run his Merlin engine at 3800RMP just so we can have that authentic 'Bang' when she throws a rod!

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 06-13-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 PM
BigPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
I guess they'd need a fairly big wallet before they could ask a Warbird owner to run his Merlin engine at 3800RMP just so we can have that authentic 'Bang' when she throws a rod!

Cheers!
lol that would just be the luck
Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Approved Member

Default xx

active sky,correct engine and gun sounds, better scenery better clouds for single player dont necessarily have to be payware.In CFS2 over the years all this came free through enthusiasts work. If COD is not closed architecture then surely this will come with time just look at the number of addons for CFS2 and thats a 10 year old sim,at SIMOUTHOUSE they have over 50000 viewers almost as much as FS 2004.Many serious simmers dont want to fly online,MB is the heart of military sims, CFS2 without its excellent MB would have disapeared the first year.With a combination of both you have a huge choice of payware and freeware and the comunity grows.I hope the management broadens their mind and until then i wait on the sideline.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Approved Member

Funny topic!

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...t=27385&page=2

LOL!