Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Approved Member

Um until the release date is posted, and system specs details given then this thread is pretty pointless. In any case details like release dates and system specs are always subject to change depending on software testing, late coding and/or publishers' demands.

All it takes is a little patience. It'll happen when it happens and not before.

Hood

It's human nature to gripe, but I'm going ahead and doing the best I can. Elvis Presley
Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Approved Member

I suppose SoW will need a strong machine,just by looking at the SSs.

If Berlin used to lag a bit for me when I had closer look at the buildings,imagine the same concentration of building but with far higher details.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf-110 View Post
If Berlin used to lag a bit for me when I had closer look at the buildings,imagine the same concentration of building but with far higher details.
That's isn't quite right to take as example, you can see big cities at RoF ( the newest sim we can compare) and there's no lag, the problem with berlin is related to Il-2 engine, remember that is a 10 years old engine, with so much
limititation for now days standars, so i'm 100% sure that big cities wouldn't be
a lag problem in SoW, also remember that new softwares take advantages of
multicores, feature that Il-2 doesm't support.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Approved Member

Wink

Two Weeks
Old 09-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Approved Member

Q: 3. will BOB SOW be released in time for the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain?

A: 3. No
Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Approved Member

I am reconing we will see it released before Xmas
Old 09-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Hecke

Quote:
Originally Posted by =XIII=Shea View Post
I am reconing we will see it released before Xmas
I agree. I would say it is possible for Oleg to release before the 31 October (end of battle of britain)
Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Approved Member

Default 2 question / requests

Hi Guys,

Been following the updates for a while now and this weeks is simply ridiculous. It's like eye rape.

Maybe you can answer 2 questions for me.

1. Field Of Vision - In IL-2 the max FOV is 90degrees left/right and with the cockpit taking up much of the up down space makes flying in cockpit a real challenge. Even with a Track IR.

Question/request:- Will there/can there be an option to increase max FOV to say 105 - 110deg? To bring the view closer to human FOV. For me having better situational awareness counts so much toward the enjoyment and gameplay.

2. Full cockpit vs Wonderview:- In IL-2 there is either Full cockpit or gunsight and sky. Nothing inbetween. It would be so good if there was a third option.

Question/request:- Will/can there be a player defined option to set the cockpit at 65% (or so) opacity, so pilots can still have more "sky" but also can have the feeling that they are still flying a beautifully rendered fighter plane?

Not too sure what the technical implications of the second request are but I had to ask anyway.

So 15-20 degrees wider max FOV and cockpit opacity settings (as the new wonderview) are my dream requests... Otherwise I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get a monster rig with 2 more 22" widescreens, which will solve my FOV question... But the cockpit opacity settings would be amazing to have... No longer will we have to choose between dynamic gameplay (Wonderview) and immersion (In cockpit)... We could have both.

Please give me feedback guys, I am interested to know your opinions on these questions/requests.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Approved Member

I dislike wonder woman view but it's good for getting true airspeed readings in a hurry when i'm flying a bomber offline

On the other hand, just because i don't use an option doesn't mean others won't find it useful and i always say that the more options there are, the better each game scales to people's tastes (dependant on development time constraints of course).
I guess that having varying opacity levels would be a good way to gradually ease people from low difficulty to high difficulty settings, which is a good thing.

As for FOV, i think IL2 suffers mainly from lack of widescreen support that messes up the FOV a lot. I am a late comer to LCD monitors and having flown with a trinitron tube CRT up until last year, i can say that the decreased vertical FOV when scaling IL2 to widescreen resolutions is noticeable, but not game-breaking thanks to my using a TrackIR 4 set. Since SoW will have support for widescreen resolutions right out of the box, i guess we'll see a much better implementation and maybe more customization options.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsher View Post
1. Field Of Vision - In IL-2 the max FOV is 90degrees left/right and with the cockpit taking up much of the up down space makes flying in cockpit a real challenge. Even with a Track IR.

Question/request:- Will there/can there be an option to increase max FOV to say 105 - 110deg? To bring the view closer to human FOV. For me having better situational awareness counts so much toward the enjoyment and gameplay.....................................Not too sure what the technical implications of the second request are but I had to ask anyway.

So 15-20 degrees wider max FOV and cockpit opacity settings (as the new wonderview) are my dream requests... Otherwise I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get a monster rig with 2 more 22" widescreens, which will solve my FOV question... But the cockpit opacity settings would be amazing to have... No longer will we have to choose between dynamic gameplay (Wonderview) and immersion (In cockpit)... We could have both.

Please give me feedback guys, I am interested to know your opinions on these questions/requests.
you'r asking your question in the wrong location, having it mixed up in the bottom of an "irrelevant BoB question thread" means it is unlikely to get noticed, however...

there is a technical reason why most games in recent years have a max 90 degree FoV when looking at a single display, it has to do with the inherent limitations in how the game is programmed and the physics of the game engine itself. this has been discussed a number of times in several flightsim forums over the years, and that is about what it amounts to.

one very informed poster at the zoo is an astrophysicist and he gave a simplified explanation at the time of why this was the case. there are also good article on this online

for a gaming pc it also only makes sense if you have something like a 30' monitor or larger. the 27' i am currently using only represents a 55' FoV iirc (depending on how close you sit to the display), and setting it any larger forces an artificially wide FoV on a to-small display, hence shrinking all the onscreen objects (making them seem much farther away then they really are). this might be briefly useful for a snap view setting in a dogfight to maintain SA, but since real pilots didnt have that option you are "gaming the game" and one could argue it isnt "simulating the ww2 pilot experience".

in short, you can get a wider then 90 FoV, but you need multiple monitors. if you are using a 22 atm then using 3 of them will give you about 130 degrees of view iirc