Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 04-02-2016, 12:46 AM
Approved Member

Default RRR reload refuel repair option

hello,
Is there a plan by team diadalos to add the above option ? its really high time this is added. It is included as a MOD in SAS CUP and works well.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:18 AM
Approved Member

Default Please R/R/R

I include myself in that idea. This idea fascinates me.
From various forums I kindly request that this option is implemented.

Unfortunately there are many naysayers who oppose this great option.

The feature Rearm / Refuel / Repair, could be divided into time according to the level of realism with which we want to use the simulator.

I remember when a MOD could have this feature and it was great the use. The missions were exciting and had options, could create missions were to fly across the Pacific to find an aircraft carrier and so quickly refuel and to continue the journey, or when the mission was to sink a ship and had to Rearm the plane to continue the mission to achieve the objective.

I know that large aircraft Refuelling take a long time, that levels of realism are treated. In addition to negative people, it is very simple: Do not use this great option. Period.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:28 AM
Approved Member

I think that RRR would be a great option. For single player, it's a nice change from hitting the refly mission button or going with unlimited ammo.

In multiplayer it would be a huge improvement to the game. With the right settings it could be used with any sort of mission from realistic coops to endless dogfight servers.

As with any setting, there should be the option to turn some or all of the features off.

Refueling would be the easiest - just set a rate at which fuel can be transferred. For extra realism, possibly put restrictions on type of fuel available (i.e., no rocket fuel, no 100 octane fuel, no diesel). Perhaps set limits on amount of various fuel types available or the number of planes which can be refueled at once. It should be possible to take off without fully refueling.

Rearming would be next easiest - set which types of weapons can be rearmed and the time required for each rearming option. If a particular option isn't available, it can be struck off the list. Perhaps set limits on number of planes which can be rearmed with a particular loadout or the number of planes which can be simultaneously remarmed. For some loadouts, it should be possible to take off without fully rearming.

Repair is the most problematic, since I'm not sure how IL2 handles damage to the aircraft. Also, realistically, repairs to an aircraft could take days or even months. Very simply, repair could be treated like rearming - set a list of repairs which are possible and the time to needed perform them. This could include First Aid for crewmen, as well as the ability to repair critical hits.

RRR functionality could be "attached" to a particular ground object in the FMB. If that object is damaged or destroyed, you lose some degree of RRR capability. That gives you even more incentive to protect your airfields.

To activate RRR, players would need to taxi to within X meters of the RRR site, shut down their engines, and then request RRR.

Different objects could offer different types of RRR. For example, you might need to taxi within 10 meters of a fuel tank to initiate refueling. Then, you might need to taxi to within 20 m of a bomb dump to get rearmed, or taxi into a hangar in order to get repaired.

As a related option, there should also be the possibility of switching aircraft. The only trick is that the game would have to keep track of aircrew quality and injuries separately from the aircraft. For this option to work, you'd need to land, turn off your engine, request a new aircraft, and then hit "bail out."
After some period of delay, your crew will "respawn" in the new aircraft.

The FMB or server could set limits to what sort of new aircraft are available. For example, if you trash your spiffy new fighter plane, your only respawn options might be older aircraft.

On a dogfight server, you could instantly get a new airplane of the same or different type every time you landed without having to log out, or without losing points for getting shot down. That would give players an incentive to get back to base and land successfully rather than fighting to the death.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 04-02-2016 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:36 AM
Approved Member

Default Expanding flight simulator options.

As an example of a specific mission. Lets say that in this case an airport don't have fuel at the moment, but have weapons or spare parts.
If you land at an airport that does not have fuel, you can request it (you will have to wait). The mission must be programmed by sending a cargo plane which other pilots (or AI) on the same side must protect this plane to reach its destination.

The fuel is running out in airports as pilots are requesting fuel. The same applies to weapons or spare parts. The pilot can ask how much fuel or weapons have the airport, and so distribute it among their colleagues.

In other forums, I have seen progress on the C-47 or Li-2; this is a good task for these aircraft.

Fuel, weapons or spare parts, can also be transported by land (in smaller quantities). These transports may also be protected by aircraft of the same side.

The mission can then extend far between several pilots. A group of pilots are flying, protecting cargo planes. Another group of pilots are stationed on land at an airport waiting for the cargo ariplane that transport fuel, weapons or spare parts. The enemies will try to shoot down the cargo planes. If they succeed, the mission will have a very different outcome.

Last edited by P-38L; 04-02-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Approved Member

I don't know a lot about the RRR, but seems like to me that already happens. You land a airfield, hit refly and then fly, and you have a brand new plane with ammo and fuel.

Is there something I am missing here?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Approved Member

You're missing SP mode and COOP mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marabekm View Post
I don't know a lot about the RRR, but seems like to me that already happens. You land a airfield, hit refly and then fly, and you have a brand new plane with ammo and fuel.

Is there something I am missing here?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Approved Member

The way I'd like to see it implemented is like a target object.

With a radias (you have to park your aircraft within the radias).

With a timeout (how many minutes:seconds you must wait).

Army Option (like all the other targets)

And it just resets your plane to what the weapons and fuel specs were in the mission.

The biggest obstacle is REPAIR.

So maybe this object is a despawn and respawn logic hidden under the term Refuel/Rearm/Repair

And it's up to the mission builder to place appropriate objects around the radias.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Approved Member

I like the idea. Having a refuel/rearm option would certainly be more immersive than hitting refly as soon as we come to a stop on the runway. It would also mean more interesting activity at the airfield as people fly in then taxi to the refuel point. Whether it takes 1 minute or 5, or whatever people decide, it's no less realistic than refly so I don't see lack of realism as an objection.

Repairs to major damage might be a step to far, maybe leave refly as as a requirement for damage repair? Either way, I'm all for it.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:44 PM
Approved Member

Repairs that don't take hours or days are the least realistic part of RRR.

So, those folks who want realism should probably just turn the "Repair" option off.

Other than that, you might have a random chance that a repair could be completed quickly. Set the "quick repair" chance at less than 1% for realistic results, and only for light damage, fuel or oil leaks, and damage to gauges and guns.

For example, it's possible that your fuel leak isn't due to a badly ruptured fuel cell, but just a small hole in your fuel line. 10 minutes, a wrench, and a bit of hose, and your plane is fit to fly again.

Or, say that your gun damage isn't actually a bullet through the body of the gun, but just a bullet through the links that hold the belt of bullets together. Remove the gun cover, remove the bad link and your gun is back in action.

If quick repair isn't an option, then its time to respawn/get a new plane.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-38L View Post
As an example of a specific mission. Lets say that in this case an airport don't have fuel at the moment, but have weapons or spare parts.
That's a very cool idea, which would be fun for long, real-time online campaigns, or different missions in a traditional static or dynamic campaign.

It would also add a strategic element to online missions, where you have to consider logistics to concentrate supplies at a particular airfield in order to support an attack.