Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Skins and Repaints for BOB COD

Old 12-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Approved Member

"Shorty" Keough (or Keogh) was an American who fought in the Battle of Britain. Only 4'10" tall, he was the shortest pilot to fly for the RAF and required several inflatable cushions under his parachute to see over the cowling of his Hurricane.

Regardless of the person's size, in other words, pilots still have to sit at a relatively uniform height in the cockpit, which, compared to photographs, seems to be too low in Cliffs of Dover.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelius View Post

"Shorty" Keough (or Keogh) was an American who fought in the Battle of Britain. Only 4'10" tall, he was the shortest pilot to fly for the RAF and required several inflatable cushions under his parachute to see over the cowling of his Hurricane.

Regardless of the person's size, in other words, pilots still have to sit at a relatively uniform height in the cockpit, which, compared to photographs, seems to be too low in Cliffs of Dover.
I agree. The pilot's eyes need to be at a certain level to be able to have good situational awareness.

Great work with the skins, btw!

Last edited by Auger73; 12-24-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: removed pic
Old 12-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Approved Member

It may be too, if the figures really are reduced in scale, that the effect is deliberate, both to focus attention on the plane by minimizing their presence and because it is so difficult to render people realistically.

Last edited by aelius; 12-24-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Approved Member

I recall soon after the game launched Luthier said that having pilots to scale meant that parts of the body could protrude through the aircraft at lower resolutions.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamekeeper View Post
I recall soon after the game launched Luthier said that having pilots to scale meant that parts of the body could protrude through the aircraft at lower resolutions.
As they do with the RAF Pilots and full gear??

Chris

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/index.php

Gigabyte z77-d3h, Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (OC 4.2GHz), Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 24GB DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit , Samsung 120GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s Basic, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB, Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W '80 Plus Silver' PSU,
GTX580 3gb OC
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Approved Member

In skinning our planes, we all work with color. I thought it would be useful if the subject was considered in more detail.

I've cataloged RLM colors in one Farbtontafel and, in the process, come to appreciate both how difficult it must have been for the authors of these color charts to have assembled them, and to realize too that, while each is presumed to be accurate, it is more difficult to say which is authoritative.

There also is an annotated bibliography of the books that were consulted.

The table can't be posted here and has been linked instead to my website. If you click back through the pages, you'll soon end up confronting a series of essays on Greek, Roman, Byzantine, and early British history.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Approved Member

Nice you decided to go for the historical version of the snake stukas.

In my opinion the newsreel snake stuka pics are displaying two different stukas.
And none of them is showing the exactly same snake motive as T6+DP.
Compare the snake tongues and mouths, the pattern right behind the snake head, the little triangle marking etc.

There isn't a clear evidence for more snake stukas so far but it is assumed
there were...

ATB
Armin
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Approved Member

Hi aelius
This Stuka is Stunning Mate.
The incedible attention to detail and the overall Quiality is Amazing
and the screenies beautiful Too.
A BIG Thumbs up Buddy.
Regards
Keith
Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Approved Member

First let me start out by repeating everyone by saying, excellent work, and a beautiful job with all of your skins.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelius View Post
I am at a loss to understand why they don't, especially if you've chosen the correct Paint Scheme.
With regards to the spinner problem you mentioned earlier with Bf110C-4 NAGr1. I have found, that with the Bf109's spinner, there's a location for the spinner when it's moving, and a location for the spinner when it's stationary.. I found out the hard way, finished my skin and took it for a fly, didn't notice until I landed and shut down my engine that my spinner had changed colour completely heh.

I have downloaded your skin and can see that you have painted only the moving spinner, but can't see the "stationary paint". Could it be that you've forgot to paint the stationary "location"?

I'll post this to give you an example of what i'm talking about.. (if you don't already know)

Last edited by JG26_EZ; 04-28-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Approved Member

Here lies the problem with the Bf110 Spinner...
There's no problem really.. It's just that there are two different locations for the spinner, moving and stationary (as suspected above).

I realize that I didn't pinpoint where exactly it is, but you get the idea.. And if you use a colored/numbered template that was given to me by "V101 Tom", you can find it rather easily. If I was ready to skin the bf110 I'd find it, but I'm having too much fun skinning the bf109 atm.

Stationary Spinner

Moving Spinner

Enjoy the rest of your skinning
SSD: Intel 520 Series 240GB
HDD: WD Black 1000GB (1TB)
MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V Socket 1155 Intel Z77 Chipset

Last edited by JG26_EZ; 04-28-2012 at 02:13 PM.