Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Technical issues

Technical issues Technical problems and solutions

Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Approved Member

Windows 7 and Steam suck.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Approved Member

We are experiencing the exact same problems! Our systems are way above recommended requirements and though we are not able to play this game (especially while big battles) smoothly. Thats a shame! Is there somewhere a tweekguide out there?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
Windows 7 and Steam suck.
Okay, so you've got that established now. I don't need to explain how "Steam sucks" isn't an answer. If the game didn't work fine with Steam or Windows 7, they hopefully wouldn't have released it through Steam (since around 1/3 of Steam users have Windows 7 x64).

Any ideas now? For the others having issues, have you had the single-core spike with multiplayer that I noticed?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Approved Member

I hope you have a receipt for Windows 7 then, more f****d up then Vista. Windows 95 is alot better then 7. Steam has ripped me off of more then $25, and they have so many problems with getting patches out.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelbley View Post
Any ideas now? For the others having issues, have you had the single-core spike with multiplayer that I noticed?
As said, we have the same sort of problems. Right now we have no solution: If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

I still have not narrowed down to what the solution could be. Im really sick of 5-10 fps when a battle picks up. I've monitored each core and they all seem to be stressing the same, so i dont know.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelbley View Post
Hi, I'm just having an issue with Men of War. I purchased the game and it's expansion through Steam, and I've run into an issue I've tried playing the game on two computers, and both times I've hit the same issue. It runs fine in single-player, but when trying LAN or Internet I hit a snag. On my quad-core desktop, a single core (the fourth) will spike to 100%, and the frame rate will fall to 30fps. On my dual-core desktop, neither the processor nor the graphics card will max, but I will still fall around 25-30 fps. Here are the two systems:

Desktop:
Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.67 GHz
BFG Nvidia GTX 260 Core 216
4GB DDR3
Windows 7 Professional x64

Laptop:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.5 GHz (OC)
Nvidia GTX 260M
4GB DDR2
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

So far, I've been unable to find any solutions. Turning all of the settings down to bare minimum won't even work. I know the issue isn't hardware, as I have plenty of power on both, especially the desktop. Again, the issue only occurs in the multiplayer mode. The firewall is set to allow, the router (as far as I can tell) isn't blocking any ports, and the person I'm trying to play against has an almost identical desktop, save for a GTX 465, so they're not the limiting factor. Lastly, I've verified the integrity of the game files in Steam.

Any ideas for this? I find it strange that the game lays heavily into the fourth core on the i5, spreads evenly on the C2D, yet has the exact same issue on both. Thanks for any advice, sorry for such a long-winded post :-p

I would like to confirm this issue, I am experiencing the same issue and I would assume many others are as well and are just not noticing the difference in framerate. It is probably much easier for us to tell because of the 60+ butter smooth fps in SP compared to the same missions in Co-op. I should also mention this is box ver. not steam. I am running a fairly high end system as well, this was also tested on my girlfriends pc.

My PC
E8500@ 4.5ghz
ATi 5870
4GB DDRII
XPsp3/W7 pro64

GF PC
E6750@ 2.66ghz
ATi 3870
4GB DDRII
XPsp3/W7 pro64

The problem seems the same regardless of XP or 7 so I believe that is a non-issue although I saw it brought up b4, just wanted to put that to rest.

Framerates measured with FRAPS using the last bonus mission's intro scene as a benchmark (The Trap).

SINGLE PLAYER PERFORMANCE ON MY PC

Final Bonus mission:

Scene opens: 41fps

Scene pans: quickly jumps to 60fps and holds at vsync

Scene pans to officer with Binocs: 33fps

Close up shot of riflemen running down road: 60fps

Allies confront German Trucks on road: 41fps

Once the cutscene ends I get an average fps of 40-60 with hardly any dips below 40 (38fps was min).

MULTIPLAYER PERFORMANCE ON MY PC (lan connect co-op same mission)

Scene opens: 38fps

Scene pans: 50fps

Scene pans to officer with Binocs: 18fps

Close up shot of riflemen running down road: 23fps

Allies confront German Trucks on road: 24fps

Once the cutscene ends I get a sporadic effect on fps with the 25fps lock bug coming into effect constantly as I move around the field requiring me to zoom all the way in to reach 60fps. I then can zoom out and look at the same scene at 60fps till I have panned around for 5-10 seconds and the fps plummets and locks at 25 again. This is so frustrating that I have stopped playing the campaign co-op, which is very sad as it was the most exciting aspect of the game for me.

SINGLE PLAYER PERFORMANCE ON GF's PC

Scene opens: 26fps

Scene pans: 38-40fps

Scene pans to officer with Binocs: 18fps

Close up shot of riflemen running down road: 34fps

Allies confront German Trucks on road: 27fps

Once the cutscene ends she gets an average fps of 23-40fps.

MULTIPLAYER PERFORMANCE ON GF's PC

Scene opens: 23fps

Scene pans: 25fps

Scene pans to officer with Binocs: 11fps

Close up shot of riflemen running down road: 17fps

Allies confront German Trucks on road: 18fps

Once the cutscene ends she gets an average fps of 13-25fps.

The drop in FPS during co-op multiplayer sessions seems to be linear regardless of PC horsepower. Both our fps avg's are cut in half during co-op sessions, and both our pc's display the 25fps bug much more frequently during multiplayer co-op. I should also mention that changing graphics settings seems to affect fps properly in single player but not in multiplayer, this could be due to surrounding issues related to the 25fps bug (Example:When stuck in fps bug changing settings will not improve framerate because u are stuck at 25.)

It seems clear now that this is not a problem with anyone's hardware not being up to snuff, but instead a failure in optimization on the devs part, either in the net-code or elsewhere. During these co-op missions the pc is rendering the same scene with the same number of units, we should not see this kind of performance drop even with any additional overhead required for multiplay.

I suggest more people run these kind of tests and post results, perhaps we can drive the devs to look into this issue and improve future performance in MOW multiplayer.

If anyone finds results contrary to this please post your results as well.

Last edited by TheMonkey; 11-07-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Approved Member

I happen to have a file monitor program that I used to use for modding very old games. It will tell you which files are being opened on your PC. I hope it will help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Filemon.zip (115.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
I happen to have a file monitor program that I used to use for modding very old games. It will tell you which files are being opened on your PC. I hope it will help.
How would it?