Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > IL2 Mods, discussion and links

Old 06-26-2012, 03:35 AM
Approved Member

"This message is hidden because ACE-OF-ACES is on your ignore list. "
I think if more people used this function these boards would be far more civil!

I see what you mean Bearcat. Yes you are correct that HSFX is the only one currently designed for 4.11 (except Modact custom installs).

The only issue with UP in 4.11 is that it flat out isn't designed for it. I couldn't believe it when I saw people asking why it wouldn't work right in 4.11! (Jeeze guys, RTFM!!!).

There are actually a good bit of mods that work with 4.11 despite being made for 4.10.1 and even 4.09 and earlier. As long as they don't modify classfiles they seem to work well. But using a mod built on the classfiles from earlier games in 4.11 is just asking for trouble.

Personally I had lost my initial desire to stay connected with the stock sim. The attitude of some TD members and these very forums regarding the mods that have in fact kept this sim as popular and up to date as it is was revolting. That has since mellowed quite a bit, probably helps that Oleg has left the building.
additionally the fact that TD has made some really needed additions lately like AI and 6dof (which were already present in mods) has warmed me to them and I look forward to seeing my favored modpacks updated to the new version-but its no deal breaker for me.

I know you didn't mean to take anything away from the other packs, HSFX is your current fav as DBW is mine, and this advocacy on our parts reflects our game play styles.
For the record though, since the removal of coop support from UP I think HSFX probably has it beat there and I'm sure does airquake servers just as well, but for offline there is no beating DBW or modact. Just the fact that I can install and run flawlessly any campaign ever made for IL2 for the last 10 years makes it so.

You know OP, this really is a bad spot to ask about such things.
Why not go to the 242sqn website (home of HSFX as far as I know), SAS1946 or UltraPack and look at what each has to offer?
Beta 4.11 buttons and modact:
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...c,21351.0.html
SAS New members question section:
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,204.0.html

But Im tellin you, for offline you cant beat DBW or Modact!
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post

Disagree for one reason, but its a big one, and thats the 4.11 AI.

If your only playing offline, then playing without the 4.11 AI is crazy to me.

If/when DBW is 4.11 based, then i'd agree, for an offliner.

Last edited by fruitbat; 06-26-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Approved Member

I'll give you that, even the mod AI leaves something to be desired.
But if I went to 4.11 with HSFX I'd be limiting myself in content. Some of the best campaings were made for older game versions, which I can run in dbw. And let's not forget DCG. Although the generator may be compatible with 4.11, I'm not sure if the missions would be with the change in content.
So if its a choice between AI and a huge variety of missions and campaings ill go with the latter.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post

I see what you mean Bearcat. Yes you are correct that HSFX is the only one currently designed for 4.11 (except Modact custom installs).

The only issue with UP in 4.11 is that it flat out isn't designed for it.
I couldn't believe it when I saw people asking why it wouldn't work right in 4.11! (Jeeze guys, RTFM!!!).

There are actually a good bit of mods that work with 4.11 despite being made for 4.10.1 and even 4.09 and earlier. As long as they don't modify classfiles they seem to work well. But using a mod built on the classfiles from earlier games in 4.11 is just asking for trouble.

Personally I had lost my initial desire to stay connected with the stock sim. The attitude of some TD members and these very forums regarding the mods that have in fact kept this sim as popular and up to date as it is was revolting. That has since mellowed quite a bit, probably helps that Oleg has left the building.
additionally the fact that TD has made some really needed additions lately like AI and 6dof (which were already present in mods) has warmed me to them and I look forward to seeing my favored modpacks updated to the new version-but its no deal breaker for me.

I know you didn't mean to take anything away from the other packs, HSFX is your current fav as DBW is mine, and this advocacy on our parts reflects our game play styles.
For the record though, since the removal of coop support from UP I think HSFX probably has it beat there and I'm sure does airquake servers just as well, but for offline there is no beating DBW or modact. Just the fact that I can install and run flawlessly any campaign ever made for IL2 for the last 10 years makes it so.

You know OP, this really is a bad spot to ask about such things.
Why not go to the 242sqn website (home of HSFX as far as I know), SAS1946 or UltraPack and look at what each has to offer?
Beta 4.11 buttons and modact:
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...c,21351.0.html
SAS New members question section:
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,204.0.html

To me those are important things.. and frankly I like the way 6DoF is implemented in the stock sim better than any mod version I used.. The new AI is great.. the enhanced QMB is also a thing of beauty to me.. As I said.. for me compatibility with the stock sim will always be a key.. and after what AoA said even more so!!

As for this not being a good place to ask... I disagree with that also.. I think it is just as good as any .. and even more so because it is not directly affiliated with any one mod group to the degree that SAS, UP & Free Modding is.. and again.. don't get me wrong.. I think that all 3 sites have their place.. but that HSFX is the one that sticks closest to what my vision of the modded sim was after I got over the initial WTF moments.. If any of you will recall back in the day I was one of those anti mod guys too because I saw what mods did in other sims.. but once I saw that the sky was not falling and it was going to be ok I became an advocate for the type of modding that HSFX does.. This sim community needs an HSFX .. just lioke it needs a Free Modding world to stretch the boundaries .. and an SAS & UP to fir in between.. that's my take..
Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
What the heck...?

I downloaded HSFX and tried it out for a few days. Mainly flew just German fighters and Russian attack aircraft so far...

Loved most of the cockpit work, especially those of the German machines, and the FW-190 cockpits in particular. Regarding the latter, I was quite surprised how much of an improvement they were, considering that the default cockpits for the 190s are already very good. Love the new instrumentation on all the aircraft I visited, especially the Revue Thommen clocks in the German fighters! I didn't like the re-textured cockpits for the IL-2 though, as I though they were disappointingly "over-textured", and went overboard on the wear and tear, dirt and grime look, especially on the instrument panel (though again, the instruments themselves look great). Honestly, it didn't look good, and I preferred the default cockpit over this one. The cockpits for the early Yaks and LaGGs were definite improvements, though.

The new MiG-3 visual model and the skins are incredible! Nice to finally see the split ailerons. Would have been nice to see the I-185's cockpit incorporated into the new MiG - with the necessary changes to the cockpit framing - instead of a re-textured, old default cockpit.

The new engine cowlings are great, and an essential "must-have", if you ask me. Especially on the FW-190s. Amazing how such a simple visual change makes such a drastic improvement on the overall appearance of the aircraft. Impressive. The new propeller hubs on the Russian fighters are nice, too, but almost to the point of drawing attention to itself , which is what you don't want. Yak-1 still needs a revised windscreen profile...

The effects are great, and done tastefully, thankfully avoiding the route of going overboard and turning the game into a Michael Bay gaseous explosion fest. Smoke and Flak bursts are rendered at long distances - Nice! Didn't like the Flak burst sounds, though. Often times you hear them and they sound like exploding tool sheds. Should have stuck with default sounds here.

Most of the other sounds are done well, though. Sounds are probably some of the hardest things to get right. Inside and out, the engine sounds for the 109s and 190s are quite well done, especially the low RPM sounds for the 109. They nailed the sounds for the FW-190. Brilliant! It's hard to gauge the sounds for the liquid engined Russian fighters as hardly anyone alive has ever heard an actual, WWII vintage Klimov or Mikulin running in an aircraft, with their respective exhaust systems. They sound convincing enough, though. However, it has to be said that the default sounds for the late model I-16s do a pretty good job of conveying what these little buggers actually sound like. The new mod sounds for them are good, but it's not what they sound like.

All the new and improved auxiliary aounds are a nice touch (canopy ejections, electrically and pneumatically articulated control surfaces and gear, wind buffeting for closed-canopy aircraft, airframe strain during high-G maneuvers 'before' something actually snaps or breaks, etc.)

I generally didn't like the changes to the environment. The new ground textures look good enough, but I do almost all of my flying over Russian steppes, and it was nowhere near as cultivated as the new textures make them appear, so I chose default. Frankly, I hated the work done to the clouds. I know that the default clouds aren't the greatest, but now we have default cumulus mixed with gigantic cotton balls pretending to be cumulonimbus, with their bottoms touching the ground. The default cirrus clouds shouldn't have been touched - they were already good. Instead, we now have cirrus clouds so densely rendered that the resultant repeating tile effect in the sky reminds me of a tiled ceiling more than anything else! "Clouds=0" brings the cumulus back to old-school values, but the tiled ceiling effect from the cirrus is still there...

The incorporation of 'Theater of War' objects to the ground objects roster was a nice touch, especially for the AFVs. Would like to see more of the "Summer Grey" scheme used on German AFV's, though, as well as the inclusion of the PzIII-F with the 37mm gun.

I was really impressed by 'some' of the maps, chiefly, Murmansk, the big version of the Channel map (what's the point of having a 1/3 scale map anyway...?), the Phillipines, Burma, and Borneo (wow!).

There's a ton more I could go over but this post would be far longer than it already is.

In summary, if I could only install parts of the mod that I like, and leave out parts that I don't like or want, I would be a happy camper indeed. But with HSFX 6.0 I have to take almost all the bad with the good, and honestly I rather not deal with that. It does offer some flexibility as far as choosing which mods you want and don't want, but even after exercising that, there was still a lot of stuff I noticed that I'd rather not have in the game. I'd rather pick and choose specific mods to use, instead than making wholesale changes with a mod-pack.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 AM
Approved Member

If that's the case then the SAS Mod Act is for you..
Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 AM
What the heck...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
If that's the case then the SAS Mod Act is for you..
Then I have to revert back to an older version of the game to use the mod activator. This goes back to the point you were making about compatibility with v4.11.1. If I had to use a mod then, for now at least, it would be HSFX v6.0. Otherwise it would be 1946 v4.11.1 unmodded. I'm not reverting back to an older version of the game just to use some mods, v4.11.1 is too good for that.

I'm likely just going to stick with game unmodded for now, until more flexible mod options are available. Moreover, when v4.12 comes out it will render all current mods redundant anyway. Most will want to use the new version of the game than stick with mods on an older version.

I just wish DT would do something about the old, "been there since v1.10" cockpits, and add the Philippine and Borneo maps. I can live with everything else!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Approved Member

But wait, no you don't!

The link I posted above is to a post by Anto detailing the SAS beta 4.11 buttons (IE FM files for the aircraft in game). In this post he links the the 4.11 modact posted over at freemodding.

There are lots of guys playing with 4.11 modact installs, poke around SAS and you'll see.

"Most will want to use the new version of the game than stick with mods on an older version."
Man, wait till you see some of the 4.09 holdouts! Really the farther you get into mods the less relevant the new releases become.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
I'm likely just going to stick with game unmodded for now, until more flexible mod options are available.
HSFX is flexible..

Allow me.. A little background aka history

In the begging there were mods..

Where you could pick and choose the individual mods you wanted to use..

Problem was there were alot of conflicts between mods whith resulted in all sorts of problems..

Which got even messier when you tried to play online with others.. In such cases you typically had to ensure that everyone was using the same mods.. If not only to be fair, but in some case for it to flat out work (ie allow you to join)!

A real pain in the A!

From that pain the idea of a 'mod pack' arose..

Where 'a group' decided which mods to include in the mod pack..

And made sure there were no conflicts between the mods.. If there were they fixed the conflicts.. And even went as far as to add other features (their own mods) to the mod pack..

This mod pack approached opened up the 'mod world' to those who were not savvy enough to figure out how to fix the conflicts on their own..

You know the types, those who are not even sure where to install the mod because they are not even sure where the game is installed on their hard drive (read alot if not most users).

The down side to mod packs is some of that flexibility you had with individual mods was lost.. But the up side far outweighs that IMHO

That and you can still install individual mods into mod packs..

For example, HSFX comes with such a mod, where after you enable the HSFX mod, you can enable the STOCK sounds mods, that in essance replaces the HSFX sound mods with the orginal STOCK sounds, should you not like the HSFX mod sounds..

As time goes by, alot of those 4.09 and 4.10 specific mods that don't work with 4.11.1 will be ported over..

At which point you will be able to 'taylor' HSFX 6.0 to your liking by including the individual specific mods.. Even if they replace a simiular mod that 'the group' put into the baseline of HSFX 6.0. Just like the sound mod example listed above.. Just like you could in the old days before mod packs.. Granted with some limits.

So in summary

We lost a little flexibility but we gained a much larger base of players by having a unified mod pack base

That and with HSFX 6.0 ability to join STOCK 4.11.1 game servers.. Where you can be using mods and be playing right along side those people in the server who are not using mods..

It is really the best of both worlds and the only way to go IMHO because you can stay current with the official 1C/TD updates and patches while enjoying advantage that mods provide.

Last edited by ACE-OF-ACES; 06-27-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Approved Member

.. and might I add that those advantages are not "cheats" .. Like AoA said if a server doesnot want mods then they have options to prevent them from being used.. If you join a stock 4.11 server.. and the mission builder used all stock planes.. then you can't use a mod plane.. because the mod planes have different designations from the stock planes..