Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Rig'n'Roll

Rig'n'Roll Truck racing game, sequel to the famous Hard Truck series. Drive authentic trucks along real Californian roads, deliver cargo, take part in truck races or establish your own cargo transportation company.

View Poll Results: What Do You Think About RnR?
I Love It (needs very little improvements) Please explain. 9 9.68%
I Like It (needs some improvements) Please explain. 40 43.01%
It's OK (needs a lot of improvements) Please explain. 30 32.26%
I Hate It (needs vast improvements) Please explain. 14 15.05%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Default My Thoughts on Rig-n-Roll

After a few days of playing, I went searching for a place that could possibly explain some of the peculiarities of the game ... and found this forum.

The story line aspect of the game is a welcome feature which other so-called "simulators" seem to lack -- most are "pick-up and drop-off" (as USA Trucker notes). Having said that, it would have been better if the story had more humble beginnings: the main character, one small office, and enough money to buy a modest, used truck. From there, the story can evolve.

Gameplay is certainly geared towards those who a) have either a desktop or a high-end laptop and b) enjoy "racing" over anything else -- evidenced by the mapping of the controls to a 101-key keyboard. Moreover, if someone does not have either a steering wheel or a joystick, they are reduced to using only the keyboard to drive the truck: the mouse is reserved solely for moving the camera about in different views. In these economic times, I am not so sure this was a wise decision on behalf of the developers as it restricts their potential market: those with mid-range laptops and only a mouse. If SCS Software can accomplish this with Euro Truck 2009, then why can't the developers do the same for Rig-n-Roll?

This forum has many, many posts on bugs and improvements, so it is unnecessary to go into them here. For my part, it seems as if the developers placed too much emphasis on graphics and racing elements: if this is to be a simulator about truck driving and building a successful cargo transportation company, then shouldn't the primary focus have been those elements? True, there is "Nick's Trucking", but it is more complicated than it needs to be and driving the truck should be more enjoyable than it is.

In my opinion, if certain features of Euro Truck 2009 were combined with the storyline of Rig-n-Roll, then the game would be more enjoyable.

Overall, Rig-n-Roll shows much promise and one can only hope the developers address the issues to make the game more enjoyable. For this, I rated the game as "It's OK (needs a lot of improvements)."

Last edited by ROTrkFan; 12-18-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Approved Member

Nicely written, and well mannered. Good job.

As for the steering wheel issue. I'm in favor of using a steering device rather than a keyboard/mouse. I like to feel as if I'm behind the wheel, as I was in the old days. If I see a driving game that doesn't support a wheel device, I just won't get it. In Rig 'n' Roll there are just too many things to do, and see without me constantly looking at the keyboard. I just steer, and press a button here & there. I'm able to take in the scenery, and view the conversations while driving. The keyboard/mouse tends to hand-cuff this aspect of the game. Being that this game is mostly based on time, and racing, I think that the wheel is the best way to accomplish the game goals, and over-all enjoyment.

I also have 18WoS & ETS. I use a wheel for those too, but I find R'n'R more enjoyable, and challenging. Therefore, I don't play those other games much anymore. The biggest complaint that I, and others have always been the trailer physics that needs an over-haul, and we should be able to back our own truck into various places (Warehouse/Repair Shop, etc). This is also why I gave this game the same rating you did.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Trucker View Post
Nicely written, and well mannered. Good job.

As for the steering wheel issue. I'm in favor of using a steering device rather than a keyboard/mouse. I like to feel as if I'm behind the wheel, as I was in the old days. If I see a driving game that doesn't support a wheel device, I just won't get it. In Rig 'n' Roll there are just too many things to do, and see without me constantly looking at the keyboard. I just steer, and press a button here & there. I'm able to take in the scenery, and view the conversations while driving. The keyboard/mouse tends to hand-cuff this aspect of the game. Being that this game is mostly based on time, and racing, I think that the wheel is the best way to accomplish the game goals, and over-all enjoyment.

I also have 18WoS & ETS. I use a wheel for those too, but I find R'n'R more enjoyable, and challenging. Therefore, I don't play those other games much anymore. The biggest complaint that I, and others have always been the trailer physics that needs an over-haul, and we should be able to back our own truck into various places (Warehouse/Repair Shop, etc). This is also why I gave this game the same rating you did.
USA Trucker:

"Thanks for the come back ... `preciate it!"

It's not that I am against using a steering wheel or joystick; it's just that I would like to see an option for using the mouse to steer.

For example: In Euro Truck 2009, I use the following key mappings:
- 'W' for deceleration/braking;
- 'S' for acceleration (easier to use in conjunction with cruise control ... having short fingers )
- Steering is accomplished by moving the mouse left and right
- Left mouse for left turn signal (this comes in handy for stopping/slowing any traffic in adjacent lane)
- Right mouse for right turn signal (same reason as above)

For the most part, the rest of the key mapping is left to default settings. This setup allows me to drive the truck while having my eyes focused on the road ahead and still being able to take in the scenery. Speaking of views, I prefer the driver's seat view the most (a feeble attempt to immerse myself into the game world), but in Euro Truck 2009, I find the bumper and top cams useful: the FPS 'skittering' in highly-congested traffic is reduced and a semblance of fluidity is maintained with the bumper cam; the top (or overhead) cam is useful with positioning the trailer within the 'box' at the docks -- getting the trailers perfectly aligned is a bit tricky; although I try to simulate what a real trucker does from time-to-time -- in driver's view: backing in, using mirrors.

Above all, please bear in mind that I only have a mid-range laptop. Although the steering control in Rig-n-Roll is frustrating for me (using the left and right arrow keys is quite tiring after a while!), I must bear in mind that my laptop does not have a supported video card, which does affect game play. The game does, however, function well enough for me to play it -- I would just enjoy it more if I could use the mouse to steer the truck (personally, I am willing to forgo having the ability to "look around" inside the cabin in-lieu of using the mouse to steer). If this can be accomplished, then I found the perfect game to pass the time while traveling and in hotel rooms (albeit, once the bugs are fixed)! Additionally, I would also enjoy the game more if it wasn't so "racing" centric.

I think Rig-n-Roll and Euro Truck 2009 (ETS, right?) are the best trucking simulators on the market today and do enjoy both.

Last edited by ROTrkFan; 12-18-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Approved Member

I see what your saying.

This game however has great graphics inside the truck, and out. In order to view this beauty the mouse plays a large role here with fluid movements all around, and in the truck to view instead of using arrow keys. Therefore, having the mouse to steer would not be feasible here. I love this aspect of the game.

I also recommend that anyone interested in buying any driving game to invest in a good steering-wheel device complete with pedals & shifter. Anything else just don't cut it. To me, it would be like playing a flight game without a good joy-stick. I can't even imagine playing these games today with just a key-board & mouse. It looses the feel of reality, and it's just simply not enjoyable to me.

I, and others also have stated in many threads that this game works best on high-end computers in-spite of what RnR's system specs indicate. Anything less would experience problems of all sorts.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Approved Member

I have to say it's the biggest disappointment in my gaming history! I waited years for this game to be delivered.. and didn't even notice when it finally were released. Bought it on Steam, a few days ago, for 10 euro.. and even at that price it feels like a ripoff!

Is there even Track-ir support? I haven't even bothered to search the forums for it.

On lowest sensitivity, the controls are really twitchy, and you start with an outside view! Simulation of boredom, not the kind of nice boredom as in the 18 wheels of steel games, just pure boredom!
ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 ATX
8 Gig DDR3 1333 RAM
XFX BLACK EDITION 850W MODULAR PSU
Track IR 5
X52 Pro
SAITEK Pro Flight Rudders
Old 01-31-2011, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

ive been playing rig n roll now for a month i like it but it needs a few things like.
1.trucks should get dirty traveling up/down highways
2.option of having your truck a daycab with a shorter chassis
3.improve trailer and truck physics
4.more trucks international/mack etc
5.buy your own trailers like in 18 wos haulin
6.deliver loads to companies in towns/citys instead of going to warehouses all the time needs mixing up theres plenty of bulidings about to do this
7.should be able to back trailer up to loading bays instead of that silly cut scene at warehouse then maybe have a cut scene for loading/unloading of trailers with forklifts n stuff.
anyway thats all i cabn think off for now.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-trucker-uk View Post
6.deliver loads to companies in towns/citys instead of going to warehouses all the time needs mixing up theres plenty of bulidings about to do this
7.should be able to back trailer up to loading bays instead of that silly cut scene at warehouse then maybe have a cut scene for loading/unloading of trailers with forklifts n stuff.
anyway thats all i cabn think off for now.
I agree with you with number 6. Number 7, I'm a little off on trailer parking. But, I said we can do Number 6 ASAP. Right?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

Cool Rig n Roll is good..but

Rig n Roll is an awesome Game ! But... It would be alot better if they would do the following:

1- Add more custom parts for vehicle customization
2-More colors to truck
3-Choice of choosing , day-cab, sleeper (flat top, Mid top, or High Rise)
4-Some way that we can select a trailer a a cargo our own way
5-Having nicer looking rims ( the ones in rignroll are so poor looking, my god)
6- Being able to change the exhaust and also if it's straight pipe or stock
7-They should have more than one location to drop-off in cities
8-More lighting options on truck ( back-up lights,fog lights,mirror lights, eveywhere lights)
9-Choice of moose bumpers, cab shield, rear fenders
10- Being able to paint fuel tanks and side steps

That's all I got for now !
But I think if it would have alot more features to rig n roll, it would be insane ! Seems like they just published the game when it wasn't even done !
Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Approved Member

Don’t forget to vote. I didn’t see your name in the ballots.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

I voted OK, but it does not mean that I like about the game, I like the game graphics landscape, but the cargo for export, and search, the AI ​​cars, they drive anyway, do not give way even though I use to flash, fly bridges, and ..... steering wheel turns around 180 degrees, not 900 degrees, the transmission is poor, people lack the traffic, it's already been haulin fault, and there is no simulator even though they're as advertised, trucks have to drive 75-85 miles to the winner's worst paikalle.en not been in Russia, I do not know how to drive there, but something of realism to the game I'd miss finland enemmän.meillä limit is 80 kph, or about 55 mailia.Peli is really driving racing truck. I'm already 48 years and had many behind the wheel, that is, in real life, myself, I no longer need competition, because I do not like about the game, the market due to bugs. and, finally, sorry for the bad English, I use google translator, try to read.