Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 11-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Approved Member

Where's the problem, Insu?

People here are happy: they claim CloD as the most realistic WW2 simulator ever...

During SoW development I asked about this problem pratically every time Oleg was posting an update on the board. Now, knowing the substance of those updates and the final release state of CloD (lol) I understand why they never answered to my two questions... (the other one was about target visibility)

Anyway yesterday I've uninstalled both CloD and RO2.

Simply I can't enjoy passing hours fighting over my airbase bnzing the countless Spitfires who fly over the channel at 500m in a voulching/suicide mission (because there is not profit in gaining altitude over the channel, at least for me).

I wish I could enjoy it, to minimize the other deficiencies of this "sim", but I really can't.

So I'm not going to pay attention to the board like i did before: I can stand no more Tagert-like clowns or the endless "Please! New flyable airplane!" threads posting.

I don't think I'll contribute to my own "Target visibility" thread too, since many people here are satisfied hunting dots. I was going to post a video about a possible solution, but who cares?

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.

Last edited by 6S.Manu; 11-21-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:20 AM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

BTW I guess this is the principle reason why one now sees a lot of red pilots flying with hood open. To hear better. This is completely *****. First the canopy open should increase drag and slow the plane. Second it should not improve sound radar. Instead sound radar should be removed entirely.

I do not see why it should be difficult to remove sound radar.

You just need a status evaluation of the player's engine such as:

if engine stopped then
>allow environment sounds
else if engine running then
>don't use sound samples of other objects than that of the player's game
end if

Last edited by 41Sqn_Stormcrow; 11-21-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post
I noticed it tonight big-time. I knew a 109 was jumping me before my wing saw him because I heard the guy a mile away.

My own guns? Sure, I should hear them.
A 109 on my 6 high 500 meters out with a 1000 ft alt advantage? Probably not.
I dont notice it so much when I normally fly blue. Merlin's are quiet compared to the DB.

So, it was you that I tried to jump on ATAG yesterday night, and turned when I was 400 m far sneaking on your 6 o'clock low?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Approved Member

It's not just a case of a simple if then else statement in the code.

You should be able to hear noises that are completely different to the sound of your engines if it's got a significantly higher or lower frequency to the sound your own engine is making.

Point in case, when I drive my Charger (which is extremely loud) I can't hear the GTHO driving next to me, but I can hear the Harley Davidson with shotgun pipes a two hundred yards away only because it is completely different to the noise my own engine is making.

Notice with the sound Radar you can't actually hear the engine noise of the 109 on your tail you can only hear the turbo whine.

Whether or not this is over done is another matter and would require a very detailed look at the sound engine. I assume everyone wants COD to be as realistic as possible.

To do that the sound engine needs to be examined and adjusted by the developers to work realistically otherwise it'll turn into a big pile of single case cludges that needs to be 'fixed' every time a new plane is added.

I've been tiped off that theres a 109 on my six from the turbo noise a number of times. Generally when it's almost too late to react .

I have more luck following the "don't fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in the combat area rule". I generally pick up an E/A on my tail after performing a violent break to see whats behind me.

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Approved Member

Tiger,

Charger : 7 at max with long exhaust pipe, silenter etc...
Merlin 27L with direct exhaust system (read : no exhaust system )

27/7 = 4 approx

Just imagine how noisy it can be !

Sound radar is a real immersion killer. Checking 6 is on the contrary a very basic needs of every fighter pilot.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:22 AM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

I disagree Skoshi.

I do not want to go into physics and btw physics won't explain all as we would also have to look into how the brain processes the input from the ears and also we would need to understand how the ear works.

Fact is that there are piles of evidence from pilots' narations, pilots that actually have flown combat missions, which are all clear in one point: they could not hear other planes.

I cannot understand why people continue to reject first hand accounts in order to preserve some sort of sound radar and present sound radar as realistic.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Approved Member

In Clod I can hear planes with engine on and flying, should be fixed

Youtube Profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/E69Qpassa
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Stormcrow View Post
I disagree Skoshi.

I do not want to go into physics and btw physics won't explain all as we would also have to look into how the brain processes the input from the ears and also we would need to understand how the ear works.

Fact is that there are piles of evidence from pilots' narations, pilots that actually have flown combat missions, which are all clear in one point: they could not hear other planes.

I cannot understand why people continue to reject first hand accounts in order to preserve some sort of sound radar and present sound radar as realistic.
Not sure if it's a case of dissregarding first hand accounts, but without looking at the individual accounts we'll never know what conditions it occured under.

If your in your tiger moth with a 140HP motor idling away as you decend on short finals and a 109 with a 1000HP at full throttle comes diving down on you, when would you be able to hear it?

Between that and a Spitfire is a whole range of different aircraft, motors, situations that will effect whether you could hear the outside noise or not.

I guess my point is if they put in a blanket ban on hearing out side noises, it would be just as unrealistic as it is now, but if they put the effort in making the sound engine model the appropriate rules closely enough then it should approximate what we should in reality which is all that anyone really want's

A few other threads have been telling us how few CPU cycles COD is using so there should be no effect on our performance if they do a few extra caclulations for sound?

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
I agree, you shouldn't hear anything. Then again, I've never heard another aircraft from my cockpit in CloD. I don't think this problem exists.
It exists.

In my Hurricane I hear all other aircraft to some degree, more with the cockpit open. I often hear a sneaky 109 before I see it. Comforting but not realistic.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 11-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
I agree, you shouldn't hear anything. Then again, I've never heard another aircraft from my cockpit in CloD. I don't think this problem exists.
thats false...you can definitely hear other airplanes inside your own cockpit in clod...which shouldnt be the case(though i have to confess that it sounds nice)

maybe it should be optional in the difficulty settings...

another thing which i dont like is the fact that many fly with open canopy online.i would suspect that in real life not many pilots would fly with an open canopy, except for take offs and landings maybe.