Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 AM
Approved Member

Default Use of aircraft names in game legal or illegal?

You be the judge, although I believe you will be happy with this law blog form Bradley & Gross Business Technology Law Firm. So, maybe we can get late corsairs in a new patch that is not part of a mod.

http://www.bradleygross.com/2012/03/...opters-in.html

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 07-04-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 AM
Approved Member

I'm glad to hear that legal opinion is turning against "copyright trolls" like Bell and possibly Northrop-Grumman. BUT:

1) The issue hasn't been fully decided yet. If it goes to the U.S. Supreme Court, there's every chance, given its recent history, that the court will decide in favor of the corporations and and against free speech.

UNTIL THE ISSUE IS CLEARLY DECIDED AND TD GETS OFFICIAL OK FROM 1C/UBISOFT TO DO DIFFERENTLY, THEY HAVE TO ABIDE BY THEIR CURRENT CONTRACT.

2) As regards the IL2 franchise, IT DOESN'T MATTER. 1C/UBISOFT SIGNED A CONSENT DECREE WITH NORTHROP-GRUMMAN. Different area of law entirely.

Subsequent legal precedents don't matter; 1C/Ubisoft is prohibited from adding Northrop-Grumman content, or any other content specified by the consent decree, to the game.

Only law which nullifies the consent decree will change things for certain.

Possibly, selling the IL2 franchise to a new owner, with a contract that doesn't oblige the new seller to abide by the NG consent decree might allow the new owner to add Northrop-Grumman content, but that depends on the exact wording of the consent decree. 1c/Ubisoft might be prohibited from selling without forcing the buyer to also accept the consent decree.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Approved Member

Shame we can't do much about that
Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Approved Member

Why keep beating this dead horse?

Nothing will change, no matter which way the US Supreme Court rules.
And besides, I doubt there is much interest in TD to push that particular envelope in any case.

'46 is selling for peanuts in the bargain bin, I don't expect that there will be much more after 4.13. I'm actually shocked that 1C keeps the lights on in here.

Look for that to change once BoS goes gold.

I don't like it, but that's how I see it.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 09-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Approved Member

I don't share your view, BoS and ClOD don't have the amount of development IL2 does, and so they lack long term potential.

Especially when you consider how limited they will be in aircraft, and for how long, which is pretty much forever.

ClOD I think will take too much private "hobby" development to get even a small selection of new aircraft, let alone the range that IL2 has. The Spits vs 109's type thing doesn't appeal to everyone. You don't have the P-40 or Tomahawk, or any other U.S. aircraft. But somehow the Italians are represented in the game with aircraft?

BoS excites me, but I still think that all the little details will take up all the development efforts, so we probably won't see anything new for a long time, let alone any US or British aircraft.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Approved Member

I agree with your assessment of CloD, BTW, the Italian planes are there, because the Italian planes were there during the Battle of Britain.

I don't know how long you have been around the original IL2 WW, but on release it was only the Eastern Front, and the number of flyable aircraft was quite small. Same as BoS is currently. Historical perspective and all that. IL2's
"long term potential" was a complete unknown at the time of it's release as well.

Now, if the new development team can make the new sim successful, and flesh it out beyond the initial offering is indeed an unknown, only time, and sales, will tell. I do find it troubling that they somehow found time and money to release another WW1 offering covering only the Russian aspect of the Great War. Seems an odd way to allocate finite resources to me.

We now know that 4.14 seems to be happening, so that is good for us. I hope that the fine people of DT continue supporting what is still the best WW2 air combat sim to date.

I do worry that once BoS goes Gold that there may be some fine print in the contract somewhere about 1C ending support for us here. The way things go in this world these days it would not surprise me in the least.

Cheers.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 09-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyWhiskey View Post
I don't share your view, BoS and ClOD don't have the amount of development IL2 does, and so they lack long term potential.

Especially when you consider how limited they will be in aircraft, and for how long, which is pretty much forever.

ClOD I think will take too much private "hobby" development to get even a small selection of new aircraft, let alone the range that IL2 has. The Spits vs 109's type thing doesn't appeal to everyone. You don't have the P-40 or Tomahawk, or any other U.S. aircraft. But somehow the Italians are represented in the game with aircraft?

BoS excites me, but I still think that all the little details will take up all the development efforts, so we probably won't see anything new for a long time, let alone any US or British aircraft.
FYI: Italian aircraft are represented because the time period that Oleg's old team selected was from June 1940 to November 1940.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpo_Aereo_Italiano

"The "Italian Air Corps" (Corpo Aereo Italiano, or CAI) was an expeditionary force of the Italian Royal Air Force (Regia Aeronautica) that participated in the Battle of Britain during the final months of 1940 during World War II. The CAI supported the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) and flew against the British Royal Air Force (RAF). The CAI achieved limited success during its brief existence. In general, the corps was hampered by the inadequacy of its equipment."

And so forth.

Aircraft covered by the N-G agreement are never going to appear in an official IL-2 1946 release unfortunately. That ship sailed many years ago. Fortunately we do have a solid selection and a few more American types can still be added from Curtiss for example.

BoS will likely eventually subsume most of the interest that I still have with IL-2. But with a new patch on the way and some exciting new content, IL-2 4.13+ still has some life left in it I think. We had 50+ players on Battlefields1 on Hyperlobby last week. It's not dead yet and we can have so much fun playing so many different theatres.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
FYI: Italian aircraft are represented because the time period that Oleg's old team selected was from June 1940 to November 1940.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpo_Aereo_Italiano

"The "Italian Air Corps" (Corpo Aereo Italiano, or CAI) was an expeditionary force of the Italian Royal Air Force (Regia Aeronautica) that participated in the Battle of Britain during the final months of 1940 during World War II. The CAI supported the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) and flew against the British Royal Air Force (RAF). The CAI achieved limited success during its brief existence. In general, the corps was hampered by the inadequacy of its equipment."

And so forth.

Aircraft covered by the N-G agreement are never going to appear in an official IL-2 1946 release unfortunately. That ship sailed many years ago. Fortunately we do have a solid selection and a few more American types can still be added from Curtiss for example.

BoS will likely eventually subsume most of the interest that I still have with IL-2. But with a new patch on the way and some exciting new content, IL-2 4.13+ still has some life left in it I think. We had 50+ players on Battlefields1 on Hyperlobby last week. It's not dead yet and we can have so much fun playing so many different theatres.
It's such a crying shame that IL-2 1946 will never ever get official Northrop Grumman aircraft into this great flight sim. The potential of these denied aircraft would of been enormous.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I'm still hopeful that one day, maybe one day the situation might change but for the moment I still love what Team Daidalos does for this great flight sim.

That's my 2 cents. Keep up the great work TD

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterace View Post
It's such a crying shame that IL-2 1946 will never ever get official Northrop Grumman aircraft into this great flight sim. The potential of these denied aircraft would of been enormous.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I'm still hopeful that one day, maybe one day the situation might change but for the moment I still love what Team Daidalos does for this great flight sim.

That's my 2 cents. Keep up the great work TD

Thanks.
You mean "any more N-G aircraft". We have a ton. We just cannot add anything more.

It unfortunately will not change. Not for this product. But as you can see other products that have shipped since then haven't run into the same problems... War Thunder and surely anything that comes from IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad would offer a kick at this stuff again. The legalities surround only Pacific Fighters and the rest of the original IL-2 product and that includes TD patches.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
You mean "any more N-G aircraft". We have a ton. We just cannot add anything more.

It unfortunately will not change. Not for this product. But as you can see other products that have shipped since then haven't run into the same problems... War Thunder and surely anything that comes from IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad would offer a kick at this stuff again. The legalities surround only Pacific Fighters and the rest of the original IL-2 product and that includes TD patches.
"Any more N-G aircraft" was what I meant to say. My bad
Closed Thread