Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Approved Member

Default Using Nav Beacons?

With the intro of 'morse as text' feature I have finally tried 'navigating'. Couple of questions that I am unsure of:-

1. In Pacific based missions involving different carriers, is the top Beacon ID for the take off carrier and the lower one for the Landing Carrier?

2. I copied Blackdogs thread on Navigation (thanks blackdog) and understand that the Beacon data represents 30 degree segments using alphabetical letters. Do you simply use the morse letter to place which segment you are currently in and then work out a compass bearing to get back?

Last edited by SEE; 02-23-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
2. I copied Blackdogs thread on Navigation (thanks blackdog) and understand that the Beacon data represents 30 degree segments using alphabetical letters. Do you simply use the morse letter to place which segment you are currently in and then work out a compass bearing to get back?
Pretty much that. Morse code will tell you on what segment, slice, your plane are (although distance will be unknown). From there, you work your way back.

an example:
- If you receive code that reveals your position at the 60-90 segment,
- you may fly 270 (carrier will be either dead ahead or slightly to your left)
and
- as soon as the code changes to 30-60 segment (you'll have just crossed the 60º radial),
- turn left to 240 (reciprocal of 60º) and follow it to the carrier.

Since carriers will be moving, the course correction to bring you directly over it may vary a couple of degrees, depending on the segment you start and your distance from the carrier. But since this is an interactive method, it should present no problems.

té mais
tityus

Last edited by tityus; 02-23-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Tityus, What I can't fathom is why I receive a Morse letter code which doesn't tally with the set for the Beacon I have selected/tuned into. I get an X for example and X is part of the other Beacon. I then wonder if the other Morse transmissions are accurate especially if both Beacons have a similar letter. Getting lost over the Pacific.....jeez, full of great Whites!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Approved Member

Is that happening on every mission or an specific one?

The tests I made worked fine and I was able to locate the carrier. The hard part for me is understanding the morse code without checking a table... so many dots and dashs to tell apart and remember...

té mais
tityus
Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tityus View Post

The hard part for me is understanding the morse code without checking a table... so many dots and dashs to tell apart and remember...

té mais
tityus

Use this .....

Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Approved Member

Learning and decoding morse was too difficult for me......I took the wimps solution and added the training option ShowMorseastext=1 to the config.ini.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by see View Post
learning and decoding morse was too difficult for me......i took the wimps solution and added the training option showmorseastext=1 to the config.ini.
.... .- .... .- ..-. .- .. .-. . -. ..- ..-.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Approved Member

LOL. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't laugh, I haven' t clue what you said...
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
Learning and decoding morse was too difficult for me......I took the wimps solution and added the training option ShowMorseastext=1 to the config.ini.
where in the config file would I place this?
Also how do you get the music and news from the BBC radio tower?
Thank You.
Kabayo
Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Approved Member

Add the string under 'game', details in the 4.101 update thread. I have some allied Radio files that sound like they are playing through a typical fighter speaker (not an in cockpit HI -Fi system) that are typical WW2. I could put them on a download site if it helps.