Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Approved Member

Zapatista and Kraken actually answered it all. There's not really anything more to say, i think they covered everything quite nicely.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorForFood View Post
Hey guys,

Long time IL2 player, and a long time lurker of these forums.

I just have a couple of questions for the general population here.

While I understand and respect the fact that it's now taboo to even mention the words "release date" on here, so much so I sense I will be banned for this post alone...

\I still don't understand why there is no general timeline by now, it doesn't make any sense marketing wise, and if the game truly was 80% done months and months ago, then they must have a guestimate as to when the game will be completed.

I realize all anyone here can do is speculate without Oleg actually giving some facts, but I find it utterly amazing that the population here is satisfied with a weekly collection of 4-5 screenshots, hardly any videos and they praise the team with the groundbreaking progress they are making, and are completely satisfied to believe that the project is still going ahead 100%.

Something just doesn't add up here, perhaps its the culture difference and Oleg doesn't seem to want to inform his customer base better, or he simply doesn't understand how frustrating it is (or care) that we've been waiting for years and aside from some beautiful screenshots and stories we have nothing, not even a 6 month window for a release date.

Seriously, you guys who bash people talking about vaporware can't have a firm grip on reality. I've been a PC gamer since 1992, and have never seen the likes of this, not even remotely close to this...

For example, I am an "Iracer" (www.iracing.com) that project wasn't anywhere near the drawing board when BOB:SOW was announced, and it's now a multi-million dollar online racing simulator, with 30+ lazer scanned tracks, and 20+ authentic cars, and constantly growing, and yes it was started by a very small design group in a very small office.

Either there's stuff going on Oleg does not talk about (nor does he have to) or the team simply doesn't see it important to keep his fan base alive...

I'm not saying what Oleg is doing is not worth the wait, if everything in the end holds true, then yes truly it will be a fantastic end product...

Anyway, this is probably my first and last post, since no doubt this post will be destroyed into the ether, and I can't wait to hear all the flaming comments.
worst first/only post ever.

do you work in marketing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC_Dolphin View Post
VectorForFood, if you're a long time lurker of the forums and member of the community, then you know what's the deal and it is simple: you wait for as long as it takes and then you get the best game in the market, in ALL genres.

IL-2 is still the best game in the market imo, though it doesn't have to be a favourite of everyone since this it's addressed only to a small part of the gaming community.
hear hear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
quite possibly. seems a bit obvious for any self respecting troll though - this may just be genuine.

as to reasons why there's a delay or whatever, it's speculation unless there's credible quotes.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

To those who posted meaningful replies... it's appreciated.

To those who posted the typical replies I expected from some, go take a long walk off a short pier.

Also, I'm not saying Iracing is as complex as BOB:SOW, but it sure as hell isn't just a racing game...
Old 09-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorForFood View Post
To those who posted meaningful replies... it's appreciated.

To those who posted the typical replies I expected from some, go take a long walk off a short pier.

Also, I'm not saying Iracing is as complex as BOB:SOW, but it sure as hell isn't just a racing game...
Errm...I for one don't care on all three counts.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Approved Member

@VectorForFood

The most simple assumption you can make when you see no time frame for release is that they don't have it. Marketing wise is absurd not to start promoting your game with 6 months before release... especially now days.

So at any given time before a word about a possible release date posted on a dedicated site for SoW BoB we should predict at least 6 month to go... like from now on.

Given the fact that all we have as updates are simple "repetitive" photos and no clue about other things that go into the game (apart from "it will be awesome" etc etc), signs of switching technology in the course of development, no clear producer, no clear distributor, we have... or should have, if we're not completely and forever mesmerized by "Oleg's Myth", the bad feeling something is not working as expected.

Most simple assumption here is the game developer doesn't have enough resources and is barely struggling with keeping the project alive. No producer or publisher would accept to release a product without a minimum of marketing unless it gives no cash for it, which means little cash for the game itself, which means slow or near death production rate.

I partially understand that if this is the case... Oleg coming here and asking for donations or patience till he finds other funds and admitting publicly the possible demise of the project will be an even worse move.

I even understand the people that "want to believe"... is their choice of keeping the spirit and hopes.

Personally, as I've said it before, I have bad feelings about it... only looking at 4.10 patch that comes close to a joke by now and is quite clear things don't go well...

..then again, that's life.

to all those "believers" that prepare to bash/flame... I feel you bros... but...

Last edited by zaelu; 09-26-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Approved Member

I feel ya, OP, and I have to say that OM and his team sure does have a defensive way of approaching the market. Much to the fact that they have a large and loyal fanbase.

From a general marketing standpoint, what they're doing is not very clever in terms of making lots of money and spreading the word, but let's just hope they eventually will release the damn thing.

After all, if I were a developer on their team, I'd be very grateful for having this large bunch of weirdos giving feedback every day, helping me make an awesome sim, but then again, atleast I would have said something if things weren't going as they should and the game development was in danger of being cancelled.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaelu View Post
@VectorForFood

The most simple assumption you can make when you see no time frame for release is that they don't have it. Marketing wise is absurd not to start promoting your game with 6 months before release... especially now days.

So at any given time before a word about a possible release date posted on a dedicated site for SoW BoB we should predict at least 6 month to go... like from now on.

Given the fact that all we have as updates are simple "repetitive" photos and no clue about other things that go into the game (apart from "it will be awesome" etc etc), signs of switching technology in the course of development, no clear producer, no clear distributor, we have... or should have, if we're not completely and forever mesmerized by "Oleg's Myth", the bad feeling something is not working as expected.

Most simple assumption here is the game developer doesn't have enough resources and is barely struggling with keeping the project alive. No producer or publisher would accept to release a product without a minimum of marketing unless it gives no cash for it, which means little cash for the game itself, which means slow or near death production rate.

I partially understand that if this is the case... Oleg coming here and asking for donations or patience till he finds other funds and admitting publicly the possible demise of the project will be an even worse move.

I even understand the people that "want to believe"... is their choice of keeping the spirit and hopes.

Personally, as I've said it before, I have bad feelings about it... only looking at 4.10 patch that comes close to a joke by now and is quite clear things don't go well...

..then again, that's life.

to all those "believers" that prepare to bash/flame... I feel you bros... but...
I once went to work for a company that made a very good product that cost $40 to produce per unit and was sold for $500 per unit. The company was run by the engineers who developed the product. They did ok, but had no clue about how to market their products.

Once I got there and we implemented a sales strategy, we set records every month right up until the time the company was bought out lol. The moral there is not that I am an awesome sales and marketing guy but that there is a different mindset between engineers and sales/marketing types.

What you hypothesize might be the truth OR it could just be the fact that Oleg's team is full of software people who are very good at writing code and developing a sim but that have little understanding of marketing. (no offense to anyone....don't ask one of us marketing types about writing code lol).

OR...and most likely....the plan is already in place and being implemented.

Splitter
Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Approved Member

Only the really big games get a 6 month marketing campaign. I would think 3-4 months is more likley for SoW but some games only get an 8 week campaign.

Technically there's nothing to market yet and Sow differs from many other titles because most big games have already got a publishing deal in place early on and the publishers would be 'teasing' by now. Plus it's such a niche title that they won't need to do a huge marketing campaign because they know that they have a very specific market and therefore can target the marketing accordingly.

The lack of any marketing for this game can only be because thay haven't yet got a publisher in place or the game is way off being finished. I think (and hope) it's the former.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Approved Member

Vectorforfood,

I'll try to answer this. I am not affiliated with Oleg or team in any way, but I have some experience in game and entertainment industry. There are some 3 or 4 reasons, IMO, which can explain the 'long' development time (long, if you count since first announcement in 2004):

1) the sim was not developed with full studio resources before something like 2007

2) the sim has a entirely new game engine. The engine is specifically developed for complex combat simulation, weather simulation, flight simulation etc, and supports further extension, maybe even realistic land and/or sea combat. Writing and coding such a engine easily takes 2 years or more, and eats up a great deal of your resources. This is what the 'common' gaming public most often underestimates.

3) if you want to build historical aircraft, tanks, vehicles, ships and so forth in a correct way you put yourself in the most difficult situation, much more than for a modern racing sim. Most of the stuff you want to build doesn't exist anymore. Want to climb into a Ju88? Forget it. He111 or Me 110? Thin on the ground. And where are they? Scattered sparsely over museums all over the world. And that is just for visual documentation....I am not even talking about the can of worms which is technical performance. And then there are the high standards you put up for external and internal 3D modeling, based on actual factory blueprints (which you have to get first from official archives, factories, private collections etc) : Oleg said some years ago that the 3D building, coding, etc, of one single plane of such high standard takes up to a year for one guy. Having worked with 3D teams, and having led them as art director I know he tells the truth. Now, lets say, you want to make 12-15 flyable planes (the gaming community will already whine at you why you make so few planes flyable)....make the math: You need 5-6 full time modelers to make those planes in two years. And you haven't done the terrain yet, no vehicles, ships, buildings, trains, correct airfields (another can of worms) and so forth and so forth, and ALL of them have to be historically correct also! Why do you think 80% of the games are fantasy and SF stuff? Because nobody in the gaming communities will whine that the laser gun doesn't have the historically correct barrel. That is the reason we are not seeing true and correct, say, 1800's sea warfare sims, or 1600's japanese land warfare sims, or 1200's european middle age warfare sims. I am not talking about the fake historical stuff, like Age of Empires, or Call of Duty, Red Orchestra, or a hundred others, but about true sims, like IL2, Blackshark, ROF, or Steel Beasts. The more you go back in time, the harder it gets (and the more your audience shrinks). It's a shame really.....I would love to see a WW1 land war sim of the quality of steel beasts, or a 1800's naval warfare sim for that matter.

4) last reason: Oleg has not the money to throw against a project like companies as Electronic Arts, Ubi, etc have.

Frankly......I think we should thank the god's of gaming every day on our knees that something of the quality of SoW has the chance to see the light of day. In the current situation, PC games retreat more and more from the scene, and real sims even more.
It's a shameful situation really....the games business makes more money worldwide than the entire movie production business, and there are more and more development companies, some swimming in the money. (Blizzard) Yet, we see less and less serious PC sims, the times of thick handbooks are only memory, and so forth. I could go on for a long time.

It's depressing.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Approved Member

we collect a € 100 euro or $ 100 dollars each and everyone of this forum help Oleg Maddox and 1C.