Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Approved Member

Default Locking the tailwheel and runways?

I don't use it as I am trying to perfect using the rudder (by watching how the AI set theirs when taking off) but was locking the Tailwheel a function that was actually available to pilots?

I also notice that quite a few on-line players manage to take off without using the runway but if I try that my plane falls apart. I always use the runway now but how do they manage to do that?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, locking the tailwheel is real, it's common on large taildragging planes, it helps the aircraft track down the runway. Check out some of the Roaring Glory Warbirds videos on youtube, they will teach you lots about actually flying some of these planes. There are a few planes in Il2 such as older biplanes that don't have this feature, but anything with major horsepower usually does.
Folks not using the runway usually just gun it to full power and catch a lucky bounce until they are airborne, its not a guaranteed takeoff, lol.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
I don't use it as I am trying to perfect using the rudder (by watching how the AI set theirs when taking off) but was locking the Tailwheel a function that was actually available to pilots?
Some aircraft yes. Other aircraft no.

Also some tail wheels where steerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
I also notice that quite a few on-line players manage to take off without using the runway but if I try that my plane falls apart. I always use the runway now but how do they manage to do that?
I have not been online for years .. but at one stage the polite thing to do was takeoff from taxiways and land on runways.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
Some aircraft yes. Other aircraft no.

Also some tail wheels where steerable.

I have not been online for years .. but at one stage the polite thing to do was takeoff from taxiways and land on runways.
Polite yes... but there are still some (many) morons who just spawn, start engine and 110% throttle and take their chances.

I usually use the tailwheel after I've setup my takeoff.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Polite yes... but there are still some (many) morons who just spawn, start engine and 110% throttle and take their chances.

I usually use the tailwheel after I've setup my takeoff.
Yes, in real aircraft it can be easy to send a plane into a sideways skid on the ground with the tail wheel unlocked. It CAN be done in IL-2, but it seems that you have to intentionally try to do it. In other flight sims, it is easy to inadvertently send your plane careening sideways, dig in a wing, bend the landing gearm etc.

Just prior to take off, I roll the plane forward a few feet to make sure the tail wheel is locked straight...I'm not sure it would lock any other way in IL-2, other sims, or in real life, but it's a little ritual for me . I also always lock the tail wheel prior to landing...and I lock it when I park it lol.

Really, an unlocked tail wheel is only needed when you need to make sharp turns while taxiing. I have also heard that an unlocked tail wheel can cause drag in IL-2, but I have never tested it.

Another good habit that makes absolutely no difference in this game is to use the wheel brakes as you retract your gear. This stops them from spinning and prevents damage in some planes in real life and other sims.

Splitter
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Sternjaeger

on large taildraggers u MUST lock your tailwheel to improve your direction stability, otherwise you'll go trimming grass on the sides of the runway. There are different kinds of tailwheel: the Mustang has a steerable mechanism that was activated when u pushed the stick forward (so that you could actually use it only during taxiing), otherwise it would stay in semi-locked position (with only 6 degrees of movement on each side); the Corsair doesn't have a steerable tailwheel, but it's lockable as well.
The rule is that your tailwheel must be locked at all times apart from when you need to steer on the ground during taxiing.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for all the replies, I will lock the tailwheel and save hours of frustration with those big torquey beasts.

I will continue using the runways too.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger View Post
on large taildraggers u MUST lock your tailwheel to improve your direction stability, otherwise you'll go trimming grass on the sides of the runway. There are different kinds of tailwheel: the Mustang has a steerable mechanism that was activated when u pushed the stick forward (so that you could actually use it only during taxiing), otherwise it would stay in semi-locked position (with only 6 degrees of movement on each side); the Corsair doesn't have a steerable tailwheel, but it's lockable as well.
The rule is that your tailwheel must be locked at all times apart from when you need to steer on the ground during taxiing.
This is an interesting debate. I know I've said it before somewhere, but I never use tailwheel lock unless taking off from a busy carrier, and even then find it a bit awkward when the tail lifts so it no longer functions.
I find it much better to leave it unlocked so you have full rudder control from the word go.
Maybe it's simply a matter of taste and control style.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Sternjaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
This is an interesting debate. I know I've said it before somewhere, but I never use tailwheel lock unless taking off from a busy carrier, and even then find it a bit awkward when the tail lifts so it no longer functions.
I find it much better to leave it unlocked so you have full rudder control from the word go.
Maybe it's simply a matter of taste and control style.
This is due to the limitation of the game engine in the reproduction of torque, in real life you wouldn't be able to take off with such big pistons without locking the tailwheel.
The standard procedure before take off is to apply rudder trim as well, and despite that you'll still need to fiddle with the rudder as soon as your tail lifts and speed and power increase.

Torque plays a major role in the handling characteristic of a plane: last time I flew with a friend's T-6 he showed me how the plane can actually torque itself out of a looping when reaching the apex, and the same happens on all powerful propeller planes.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger View Post
This is due to the limitation of the game engine in the reproduction of torque, in real life you wouldn't be able to take off with such big pistons without locking the tailwheel.
The standard procedure before take off is to apply rudder trim as well, and despite that you'll still need to fiddle with the rudder as soon as your tail lifts and speed and power increase.
Yeah, I was talking from a lazy in-game perspective!