Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
FW's take part in the BoB, at least in the end and as JABO.
No.

The Fw 190 A-0 entered production in Nov 1940. That's two months after BoB ended.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardG View Post
An auto-gyro? Was this combat capable, or an experimental aircraft during BOB? Can't see much practical use for one of these other than maybe recon flights.
I too have a feeling that Oleg mentioned that it would be flyable. If I remember correctly he mentioned the reason for having it as being that it was used in calibration of sound tracking devises, radar etc.
I think Oleg's other reason for including it was in order to demonstrate to third party developers the potential of the game engine in supporting rotary aircraft.

It will be fun to fly along the cliff tops in one!

Flying online as Setback.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Approved Member

For demonstration of what is possible with the engine without scripting.

He mentioned, that it's fun to fly on recon-missions. Whatever that means.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

Used to provide a static point for radar calculations.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Approved Member

OMFG!!!!!
"Helos"!!!!
Cool!!!They will be interesting to shoot down.Still,Do-17,He-115 and Defiant should be flyable.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
Well it's been a while...

OMG! My FAVE game!
Back then it was was sex! Ahem, LOADS of fun!
Yes, it is still the ONLY game to have a "flyable" Do-17, although it looked pretty much the same as the He111 and Ju88, LOL (Warbirds never finished its )

Good times, even if single player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
Heres a real one that should be restored soon

The twin-engined Dornier 17, buried in a sandbank, is the last of its kind in the world.

It was discovered when a fishing boat snagged its nets on the wreckage off the coast of Deal, Kent.

The RAF Museum plans to raise it from the water next year and put it on display in London.

It said the plane was in "remarkable" condition. Museum director Air Vice-Marshal Peter Dye added: "It is a unique survivor from the Battle of Britain."
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...Deal-Kent.html
Yes, I am all over that one.
Wrote up some articles for historical magazines, hope they get printed.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Approved Member

I find it very encouraging that the engine supports "exotic" aircraft like the autogyro. Personally, i'm expecting to see gliders at some point in the future.

I went back and re-read some of the previous interviews given by Oleg Maddox on simHQ. He mentioned that the weather model also takes into account the ground formations and to me that hints at ridge lift and wave lift, along with the more common thermal lift.

Of course, gliders of the time were far behind what is possible today, but it would be fun to see a few 3rd party WWII ones. I think it's been mentioned before that you will be able to fly a training mini-campaign in the Tiger Moth. Imagine now if for Luftwaffe campaigns you could train in gliders, just like it happened in real life, but that's something for the future.

As for the current semi-official list, i think it's a very comprehensive selection. If some of the AI aircraft are gradually made flyable it will be even better and the good thing is that most of them can also be used for a possibly upcoming meditteranean expansion.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avimimus View Post
Used to provide a static point for radar calculations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bf-110 View Post
OMFG!!!!!
"Helos"!!!!
Cool!!!They will be interesting to shoot down.Still,Do-17,He-115 and Defiant should be flyable.
You guys know that an autogyro is not a helo, right?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

The only autogyro I know of was the one that the germans towed behind U-Boats in order for them to be able to recon the area. I think they were later than BoB though.

Focke-Achgelis FA 330 Bachstelze

Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Approved Member

Avro / Cierva C.30

(note that this image is from the really early days of SoW development snapshots, and I wouldn't take it as a guaranteed inclusion)

"Twelve C.30A built by Avro for the Royal Air Force (RAF) entered service as the Avro 671 Rota Mk 1 (Serials K4230 to K4239 and K4296 & K4775). The twelve were delivered between 1934 to 1935. They equipped the Army School of Co-operation at Old Sarum near Salisbury.

Many of the surviving civil aircraft were also taken into RAF service between 1939 and 1940. In 1940 they equipped No. 1448 Flight at RAF Duxford. Later they equipped No. 529 Squadron RAF at Halton on radar calibration work. They disbanded in October 1945. At the end of the war the twelve survivors were sold."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cierva_C.30

Last edited by The Kraken; 09-19-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo