Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
I just hope that it looks at least as good as WoP... and delivers the same kinds of frames.. Visually at the moment WoP has no equal in the WWII market.. I am hoping that once SoW comes out that will no longer be the case..
I honestly hope that it will look more realistic than WoP's overdone Hollywood-Effects. I'm not a pilot, but I fly to frequently to think this is anywhere close to realism.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Approved Member

S!

Without going into the WoP effects or stuff, one must give credit how well it runs on a steady FPS even with a LOT of things going on and with lot of objects visible. Compare Berlin map in IL-2 and WoP..which one runs smoother if you make a similar situation on both..

Again..SoW is a new engine and we have not seen much of it in form of in-game footage. Only a couple videos and that's it. Before we can see the game in action it is hard to tell how it will be visually and perfromance wise. I am sure Oleg & Team pull this off as expected and we get something to drool over for the next 10+ years.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Approved Member

Actually, you guys got me thinking a bit and it seems to me that we can't examine the graphics on an isolated basis.
I certainly can live with a SoW that will look better than WoP but won't be able to be run at that detail. Let me explain.

If SoW runs at 50% more detail than WoP but our PCs can't take it, then probably most people will fly on reduced settings that could be, let's say 20% less detail than WoP.

To me, that's not an outright flaw if it's because of all the extra goodies running under the hood of the SoW engine. If i have extra features in campaigns, complex AI logic, imrpoved FM/DM and systems modelling then i can surely put up with slightly reduced graphics quality.

If the new FM/DM, AI and dynamic weather modules stress my PC too much, i'll turn down the graphics rather than turn down the realism settings. From that point on it's just a case of waiting for stronger PCs to arrive and gradually become affordable.

Just a small reminder, as it seems to me a lot of people will be initially disappointed. I think not a lot of us will be able to run SoW on more than medium settings when it comes out, but if this is the case it probably won't be because the graphics engine is bad, but because the rest of the game engine is too good for current day PCs.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Approved Member

I'm surprised nobody remembers the interview early this year where Oleg said that Nvidia have been in continous contact with him regarding technology and implementation, whereas ATI won't even respond.

You guess which cards will run SoW better.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Approved Member

S!

Valid points Blackdog. You can't have it all without something suffering. Crank up the graphics to insane levels and you can be sure your computer won't handle the AI/FM/DM and a big gaggle of planes on the screen. I bet we can have a balance between the realsim vs eye candy. for me realism comes before eye candy.

Feathered, quite a strong statement as since that Oleg has said nothing. I really wish to see a game without the red or green tag spinning at the beginning. We will see when SoW is out tho..until then make wild guesses.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_Tigar View Post
The fact that Il2 runs better on nVidia (in general) is due to the choice of API (yes, yes, it uses both DX and OGL, but no one in their right mind uses DX in Il2) and better OGL support on the side of nVidia. Since SOW will be DX only (AFAIK) I expect we'll see the cards offering better performance in DX11 performing better in SOW.

This^

Though I haven't owned an ATI card since the old original 9700 Pro, and from all indications I'll likely stay with NV, I hope there's really no distinct manufacturer preference.

Last edited by Thunderbolt56; 09-16-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunden View Post
I'm prepared to spend in the thousands for my crap to run at its best, I have no other hobbies. I guess that makes me retarded. LOL I spent about 10 us dollars on il2 and another 900 or so just on crap to injoy my 10 dollar investment.
Actually it was IL2 what got my into the computer building/modding hobby.
I'm already well in the 4 digit range for my IL2 stuff, but still have no rudders.

And yes, I dont have any other hobbies either.

Last edited by swiss; 09-19-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post

The (ex ATI) Radeon driver team is joke, I doubt they take anyone from the IL community for serious, otherwise, how could you explain they FU the game with every new driver release?
They also stole 5 days of my life I had to spend to sort out system errors caused by their CCC upgrade.
Thanks guys, awsome job!
Never again.
You must be doing something wrong. Ati does listen and every driver batch since 10.3 has improved my OGL performance in IL-2. 10.8 was the last needed improvement to run PL in IL-2, installing 10.8 made me able to finally reinstate vertex arrays. On my system they do not FU the game at all. They give it better performance every time they release a new driver. So, you must be doing something awfully wrong, my friend.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
You must be doing something wrong. Ati does listen and every driver batch since 10.3 has improved my OGL performance in IL-2. 10.8 was the last needed improvement to run PL in IL-2, installing 10.8 made me able to finally reinstate vertex arrays. On my system they do not FU the game at all. They give it better performance every time they release a new driver. So, you must be doing something awfully wrong, my friend.
Funny, I read of ppl having problems after installing the latest driver all the time.
Only downgrading or waiting for a newer driver fixes the prob.
Now, I don't care whether they are doing something wrong, fact is, this kind of trouble seems to be reserved for Radeon owners only.
(I think we even have some in this forum)

Concerning the 10.8: Wait for 10.9 to FU something else. lol

Last edited by swiss; 09-20-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
Funny, I read of ppl having problems after installing the latest driver all the time.
Only downgrading or waiting for a newer driver fixes the prob.
Now, I don't care whether they are doing something wrong, fact is, this kind of trouble seems to be reserved for Radeon owners only.
(I think we even have some in this forum)

Concerning the 10.8: Wait for 10.9 to FU something else. lol
10.9 has been released

Youtube Profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/E69Qpassa